About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fa0760fa091a2a9c263bdf282a0e0430Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

NFT fur length question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: NFT fur length question Reply with quote

I plan to be ordering my NFT fur shortly and had a quick question for those who had worked with it. Going to be ordering 30 sq ft brown and 20 sq ft grey. Problem is I don't know what length to order the fur in. As far as I understand it came in different lengths so I really don't know which would be best. Secondly how much of the grey and brown loose would be enough for the punching areas?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure if you have read this or not, but might help you in questions you have.

National Fiber Technology Hair/ Fur
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 5"/7" pile for Chewie it looks fine but there is a 10"/12" pile available that is more expensive, would probably be better to go for that one. Think it's $54 a SQ FT as compared to $40.

What colour codes are you using?
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha!! i thought i remember seeing that post before. Thanks Rob! I plan to be using the fur codes Rob provided. I received the samples and absolutely love the colors. I scanned through the clearance area and found a few that were decent, but they only had smaller quantities left unfortunately. Im thinking 30 sq ft in brown and 15 sq ft grey should be enough? hopefully leaves me enough with some leftover to lay on portions of the mask as well to minimize hair punching.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got away with using 24 SQFT Brown and 10 SQFT grey for a 7' 2" slim wookiee with enough leftover for the hands and head. It's all about maximizing the use of the fur, I glued all the small offcuts to a spandex fabric to make up another 2 SQFT of usable fabric.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend you actually get loose hair to punch. You will not get the kind of hair you need to punch from the "Rug style" hair... it will end up short. You will not need more than a pound of each color. I do not remember what the minimum amount you can order is, but if you let me know I will go in on the order with you to cut down cost (I am running out of the loose hair on Grey).

Be carefull what you order as well... for what they used in the movie is not cheap. Pretty much any custome order is going to be around 45-55$ a square foot. Being that you will want the extra long hair which is around a 10-15% extra chanrge (can't remember off hand)... you will also want to look into the Yak hair blend... which will add another 15%+ charge. Double check with them to make sure... for there is a huge difference in this hair and the way it looks.... for they actually blend real Yak hair into the rugs synthetic fibers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: