About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=81c732bfc668d7d1cd0835cbf2d038c9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Meadow Gown Attempt (Finally)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Meadow Gown Attempt (Finally) Reply with quote

So I bought fabric (pre-embroidered) for this back in Feb in Cairo visiting my best friend at school. And I finally dyed it earlier this week (used RIT Golden Yellow - a "new" color according to the bottle). Thanks for your advice on which fabric to use Carrie!

The picture is not showing nearly as much yellow on my screen as what I'm looking at but for a reference the fabric laying on top is the gold crinkle chiffon from Joanns that ObiDawn recommended for the corset a couple years ago (and that has been sitting in my pile ever since). In person they look almost identical - the embroidered is just a lot less shiny, but I just can't get them to photograph correctly in the lighting in my apartment... (a problem I've had with every pic I've taken in this room!)

What do you all think of it? I have the sequins to put on once it is cut and sewn (Thanks again Carrie!)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a way to get a better color view on this. The rose fabric is still white - have not attempted dying it yet. And there was less direct light on the fabric. though the crinkle is still looking too peach to me compared to in person.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that fabric looks perfect. Can't wait to see the progress. Smile
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much - I'm so excited to get this one started/done!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very lovely fabric! I can't wait to see progress pictures. Smile

princessadrelia ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Very nice Reply with quote

Your meadow gown fabrics look realy nice, cant wait to see the dress!

Good luck with your costume Very Happy
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So advice:

I had bought the same China Silk that I used for the overlayer of my Lake gown to use for the underlayer of this gown. And I bleached it out the same way I had done then but in my tub at my apartment not over my (gas) stove like I had at my parents' back then. (I didn't think the fumes and an open flame would mix well whereas my parents' have an electric stove so no danger) As I remembered from then it went all the way to an ivory but this batch has remained stubbornly at a pale yellow. Is this acceptable? It is (wet) more of a pale buttercup (as light as a lemon yellow but with more gold in it). I am guessing that it will dry paler still (it did the last time). But I was wondering if I should go get more color remover and go it again. (I also discovered my tub drain doesn't seal all the way and it leaked a lot so I would try my kitchen sink which does plug nicely) Hopefully that will be enough to get it all the way ivory but if pale yellow will work as well I won't spend the $$.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say wait until it dries before getting more, it always dries a lot paler than the wet color Smile

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vera, it did get quite paler dry but is still more yellow than I wanted. Its more of an eggshell than cream... I might just go with it as I need to spray on yellow and pink still. I guess I will have to think this over tonight to decide...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So quick update. I finished the lining (in dancewear lining fabric to get rid of the see-throughness of my fabrics) and the muslin pattern/mockup for the skirt. and OMG its HUGE - I had to move my coffee table out of my living room to lay out the fabric to cut it! I put the pattern pieces from the McCall's pattern on the edges of the muslin just to get the length right. I started with the front and the fabric folded with the pattern along the fold so that when I cut it out I had a half circle then did the same for the back but without folding the fabric over so I had a quarter of a circle with the tops cut of to match with the seam line on the pattern. (there is a zipper in the back so the back half is in 2 pieces but I only cut one in the pattern to save on muslin.) I have it pinned on now - I need to clean up my photobucket so I can put up pics but the skirt looks huge right now!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exciting to make real progress on a costume, isn't it?! Smile Can't wait to see pictures.

Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! So I'm cutting things out and my midlayer fabric (the one that will be spray dyed in splotches) is not wide enough to cut the skirt in "one" piece. Am I correct in thinking that I cut the skirt twice - once for the top and once for the bottom - leaving the top pinned on so I can line up where the fabric left off with the next piece (with a slight overlap) and then sew those two pieces together first before putting the skirt together.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What types of fabric are you using for this dress?

It's looking great, BTW.

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I have a dance lining for a "modesty" lining layer, then China silk for the actual underneath layer (spray dyed with blotches of pink and yellow on a cream background) and the top layer is cotton I believe. I got it in Egypt and I don't speak Arabic (at ALL!) and my best friend who was studying there - and the whole reason I was in Cairo - does not sew or know anything about fabrics, and the shop keeper didn't know any English so it was a very strange 3 way translated conversation and we couldn't figure out how to convey that we wanted to know fiber content not weave (it is a crepe) but he said his family grew it (cousins I think) and his wife (sister?) embroidered it (I'm guessing with a machine as it is rather perfect). But it was really inexpensive (by our standards - very expensive by thiers) and I was able to get a lot of it for the price.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sewing on sequins (very slow process!) still - finished the bodice and the top of one sleeve (half of the top of the other) I'm going to put together the corset over the weekend before sequin-ing the skirt so that I don't spend too much time putting them on sections that will be hidden.

One question on that though. How does the back of the corset close? I was thinking it would tie up as there is so much ribbon elsewhere but what do you all think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: