Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=95be500c5635b83894b48281129416a3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

dragonskin paint question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: dragonskin paint question Reply with quote

I was wondering exactly what paints to use when painting dragon skin? Originally I was going to get some psycho paint and tint it with acrylic colors but I cant do that apparently. I know there are a few latex paints monster makers has that you can use but the variety of colors is kinda dull. Does anyone know of a good site to get paints with a good variety of colors?
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Fuse FX paints that I was going to use. You have to mix colors with that. Other paints flake off the Dragon Skin.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't tint Psycho Paint with acrylics because they're water based, so they won't mix in. Artist's oil paints, though? That works just fine! Smooth-On and some other places sell small bottles of concentrated colors that are specifically made for tinting silicone , but they're terribly expensive. They have a lot of kick, though! One bottle will last a loooong time.

Pam :-)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into the fuse FX paints. Although the would be great they are pretty bloody expensive. But the artists oil paints you say? hmmmm...Im intrigued. So if you mixed those with the psycho paint that would work? I might be willing to give that a go. Someone else suggested to me that you can mix acrylic with 407 and dilute it with water to make it airbrush-able. But you have to go gentle on the water otherwise it will take forever to dry. I going to run a small test of that to see how that runs (I have oodles of 407 on hand) If that turns out to be a no go, Im gonna try the artists oil.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all my paints thru Smooth-on. They sell the pigments and the paints. The key is to use the pigments to get the right color then apply it in the psycho paint. You can actually use dragon-skin in the same fashion as well. The pigments will mix the same way, just use the pigments in the part B of the dragon skin first then mix in the part A. You can thin out Psycho paint allot better than Dragon skin is the only difference I noticed when I was working with it. I was actually able to airbrush my Dragon skin mask with Psycho paint. Just need to thin it down to a milk like substance with Toluene thinner.

I would not mix oils with any of these products at all... they wont work! If it not silicone based it will not work with dragonskin... trust me.

Pigments

Psycho Paint
duck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's what I do for all my Dragon Skin stuff. It is totally cheating and they strongly recommend AGAINST it.... but I never listen and I'm a cheap SOB. As I mix each batch of Dragon Skin, I add a few drops of standard cheapo 99 cent acrylic craft paint to color it before I pour. That way, the material is opaquely colored throughout.

It isn't supposed to work and Eli and Scott in the Boston Smooth On store freaked out when I told them that's what I do, but 15+ faces in (for the kits I sell) and it has worked perfectly every time. As I'm molding the face, I start on the muzzle area with 3-4oz of Dragon Skin and just add 2-3 drops of flesh colored paint and pour that section. Then I do 2-3 small batches with black paint as I do the nose/eye are, then the forehead, then the outer cheeks and chin. The stuff pulls out a matte finished opaque coloring. No paint flaking, color throughout. And you just need a few drops.

The Dragon Skin is supposed to never cure with the acrylic paint contaminating it, but it has worked perfectly every time I have done it. I won't guarantee it will work for you, but I have never had a problem with this system.

But just keep in mind, do not use LATEX acrylic paint, just standard Apple Barrel, Delta or FolkArt like you'd find at any craft store. Latex based paint WILL screw up the curing process.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lucky you are not getting a weird chemical reaction Duck. I know some chemicals will outright destroy a casting.

Sil- Pigments are actually very cheap and can last a long time being that hardly any is really needed to change the color of the dragon skin. The other advantage is that the pigments so not dry out like some of the paints out there till you mix it with the 2-part dragon skin. So you can mix a color you like and store it for years... with no breakdown in color or texture. I spent 25$ for a complete set of 9 different colors, that is hardly touched!

Other advantage is that you can mix the pigments with dragon skin and use it to do touch up work if you do not like the way something turns out like the lips or nose, feet.. etc...
duck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Your lucky you are not getting a weird chemical reaction Duck. I know some chemicals will outright destroy a casting.

Well, like I said, it has worked perfect for me every time. YMMV!

Quote:
Sil- Pigments are actually very cheap and can last a long time being that hardly any is really needed to change the color of the dragon skin. The other advantage is that the pigments so not dry out like some of the paints out there till you mix it with the 2-part dragon skin. So you can mix a color you like and store it for years... with no breakdown in color or texture. I spent 25$ for a complete set of 9 different colors, that is hardly touched!

True, but the 9 color set doesn't have a peach/flesh color and that I would have had to buy separate, so $25x2 for the black and flesh was $50 I didn't have or feel like spending (like I said, I'm cheap!), so I gambled on $1.98 and it's worked every time. No loss of color or deterioration on the face that is 2 years old

Quote:
Other advantage is that you can mix the pigments with dragon skin and use it to do touch up work if you do not like the way something turns out like the lips or nose, feet.. etc...

That is true, and a big advantage.

There is always something to be said for "doing it right", but if I cut a corner and it works repeatedly, that's just the way I do it. Like I said, it may be a gamble, but it's a gamble that has paid off for me!
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing various acrylics and acrylic inks on very small batches would probably be the safe option!

Although like Duck, I'm all for experimenting and breaking the rules!
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just did a small test mixing up a bit of 407 latex diluted with a bit of water and added some acrylic paint...It actually worked! no cracking, or peeling at all. It took a little bit to set but the result was awesome!
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, there we go. Breaking the rules ends up with good results.

Awesome. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end I guess if it works... use it. Dragon skin is pretty hardy stuff.. I have yet to work with a product that is as versatile. I shouldn’t be surprised that you can make it work with non-silicone paints.
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I was pretty impressed that it worked myself. Just goes to show you can make a square peg fit into a round hole sometimes (with stubborn perseverance). I'm super excited to work with the dragon skin. Never used it before but Ive always heard awesome things about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: