About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9fa8652e489277d02ff86cc70f25b3f1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Anakin/Luke Lightsaber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Anakin/Luke Lightsaber Reply with quote

I have a question about the lightsaber. I am working on an Anakin costume. I just picked up a Graflex 3 Cell for the saber and I plan to do the work myself to modify it as a prop costume. I don't know if I will ever have electronics done, but at least I will have a saber to hang on the belt.

My question is, I also plan to at some point do a Luke Bespin costume. The Graflex 3 Cell works also, for that costume. How exact does the saber have to be?

For example...one has a red button the other has a goldish button. Both have a chip (unlike the ANH hilt that has a bubble strip). The biggest difference is the D ring vs the Covertec ring. I think when I drill the hole, I am going to make it so that I can unscrew the Covertec ring and the D-Ring so I can swap the parts and use the saber for both costumes.

Any advice for this so that I don't have to have 2 completely different sabers? Also how exact does the saber have to be? Afterall...technically they are supposed to be the same saber.
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Bespin & Anakin EP 3 are fairly different actually. I'd say different sabers required. Anakin Judge ?

Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the grips are also different...the Luke ANH saber is closer to the Anakin as far as grip goes. I already have an approved costume...I guess I am trying to get as close as I can without having to spend the money on 2 sabers that are just so close to each other. Maybe I will have to just work on one for now.
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, the Anakin ROTS wasn't made from a Graflex either, it was made to look similar to a Graflex, but still be a Lucas design so they could maintain rights to the design, something they couldn't do with the OT sabers since they were all found parts. ESPECIALLY the Graflex.

I'd probably say two different sabers as well, between the difference in grips and the buttons and even the pins, there's enough to warrant it.
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my personal custom saber I love...but that cost me $800 to complete (lots of custom machining and electronics). I really don't want to spend that kind of money on two more sabers. I did see that Ultra Sabers has a sale going on. Maybe I could get one of theirs for my Anakin and then make my Graflex into a Luke ANH or ESB saber. Anyone else have a suggestions or know where I can get an Anakin ROTS type hilt (doesn't have to light up) that doesn't look like a cheap toy but won't cost me a ton? The Graflex 3 Cell should be fairly easy to make into my Luke hilt.
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my ROTS Anakin, I now use the resin one from efx, which was $99. My brother got his Luke ANH saber from Parks a few years back for about the same price.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah to be honest it's a different saber in each film, The ESB one looks like it was at least the original added onto by Luke. The ROTS one is smaller and lots of details are different but from far away it looks the same.

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasbro makes the Force-FX lightsabers with removable blade. the anakin model is about ~$120.
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I will look into trying to get an Anakin ROTS saber at some point. I might put this off until my Anakin costume is completely finished as it looks like I will just order a complete saber from somewhere.

I will turn my Graflex 3 Cell into either a Luke ANH or ESB saber. I am leaning towards ESB as I like that costume better and it's still my favorite Star Wars movie...although there's more modification work to do on the ESB version.

Part of me wants to make a ANH version as that was the first saber we ever get to see (and it's super easy to convert), but the thing really never is used. The iconic saber is the one Luke uses in ESB.

Either way it will be fun to plan and modify. I will probably just make it into a prop that can be worn on a belt but not have the electronics done. At least I won't do that for a while.
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can "go for broke" and make one that can be swapped from ANH to ESB and back, I've seen it done before.
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a tutorial on how to do that. I thought the grips were glued on and with the ESB they are screwed and glued. I guess you could just buy multiple sets of grips...peel them off and then reglue them. The good thing is that the ESB has only 6 grips and you could just position the 7 grips from the ANH version so they cover the holes from the ESB grips. With a chip and different tape, then the Graflex writing would be easily covered up. The only issue that I think that would be hard to do would be the D-Ring as one has 2 holes and the other has one...not sure if the single holed one would cover up the 2nd hole. Am I missing any other differences?
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it involved a separate bottom piece, but I know I've seen it done at least once by Yoda of FX-Sabers.com

Wish I could be more help.
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would require a different bottom section, clamp and a red button screw to replace the glass eye to go back and forth from ANH to ESB.
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a website where I can buy a replica Graflex bottom? I really don't want to have to buy a whole new Graflex 3 Cell.
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I know of unfortunately. There may be one out there or possible on ebay to get just the one half.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: