About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bb8977f5517dc6021d83ff07d1c6cd84Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Help a Wookie out
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dartoftruth ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Help a Wookie out Reply with quote

Alright, I'm finally following up my childhood dream and want to construct a wookie.

I read through the thread posted by Duck on general tips and whatnot, and it helped, but....I'm still kinda lost.

Basically, for the time being, I wanted to get the mesh suit and hair and start knotting it....could anyone tell me where to get these supplies ((including any tools I need to use to knot it?))

And I apologize if This is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Any help via PM, email, or here on the thread would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Limey ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Another Wookiee!

For my wookiee, I got my mesh from collinscottage.com it's the black aquatic type. I ordered 7 yards, but have at least 2 yards spare. I'll use some of that making the boots and mask though.

The hair I got from ikickshins.net/bulk.php. I ordered #27 #44 #280 and then a couple each of #2 and #6.

As for the actual latch hook itself, $3 from Walmart.

Get a sewing machine (preferably with seamstress attached) and use a chevron style 3/8" ish stitch. Works lovely!
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!

I'll keep an eye on your thread and follow behind you. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you will want to talk to Matt (GotWookiee) he is the Wookie LCJ. Great info, as well as, duck, Bob K (SoloYT1300), and Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)

These are GREAT resources for Wookiee help.

Phoenix 17
Limey ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSolo wrote:
Also you will want to talk to Matt (GotWookiee) he is the Wookie LCJ. Great info, as well as, duck, Bob K (SoloYT1300), and Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)

These are GREAT resources for Wookiee help.

They really are! And don't forget DougieFett Smile

If you haven't found it already, Matt has a fantastic resource site http://www.rebellegion.com/chewie/index.htm where you can find a bunch of photos.

But like Steve said, all of these guys are super helpful.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help a Wookie out Reply with quote

dartoftruth wrote:

And I apologize if This is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Most of the posts that you will find helpful are all ready on the boards, you just have to spend some time and go thru the threads. Most if not all of those threads are here in the Fringe section.

Chewbacca Costuming Resources

Ducks Tutorial

Life casting

Cblacks wookiee build

Box demensions

Forestmoonstudios build

Tatooineboy build

How to use a hackle

Trooper1 build

Body Mesh questions

Take your time and read up... then let the questions fly! Most of your questions will be answered in these threads on the forums.

You can also do a search in the fringe section for things you need to know... example; wookiee hands... etc

Good Luck!

Bob Kohn
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks guys!

I'm planning on ordering mesh and hair this week then and just..plugging away at that as I figure out the harder parts.

Is that a good plan or am i going to run into snags?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what most do I think. Latchooking can be done while you plan out the rest, for there is alot to do. Smile. The more you can get done the more motivated you will get on the harder items.
JainaSoloFel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I smell a latch-hooking party invite coming? Laughing Dart, you're sure busy. A swampy and a Wookiee. This is going to be awesome.
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah. Yes, a latchhooking party is in order.

Okay, I plan to order mesh from Collins Cottage.

As for the hair, after reading over forums, I am thinking of the follows.

(30) #27 and (5) #44 (5) #280

Then I had a question. Once again, after reading threads, #2 and #6 were recommended...Should I go for those/how many, and how/where should I mix them in?

Thanks!
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well throw my build in here too http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20868
Might be useful too.

I ended up using a lot more #6 than I originally intended, probably in the region of 30% mixed with 70% of #27 and it still came out fairly light but I was going for the lighter ROTS look.

#27 definitely needs an accent otherwise it will look too fake on it's own.

Last edited by Dougie Fett () on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to the actual latch hooking, make sure to straighten the hair first. Mine (especially the #27) arrived all kinky. Cut it, pull it tight, then run a hair dryer over it to straighen it out BEFORE you latch hook it into the mesh. It makes a world of difference and saves you trying to do it later.
Good luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dougie. I've been watching your costumes, and I'm in love with a lot of them, so advice is greatly appreciated.

And I will be sure to snag a hairdryer. Thanks for the tip.

Okay, another question.

Ive seen a lot of varieties of adding height. From drywall stilts to foam boards to 5 gallon buckets.

This is my first costume. And im a poor college student with limited resources...

Any advice on what would be easiest and work best?

5'11" 170 lbs. So, aiming for 7' 2" ish if I can.

Thanks again
Wraith (Jill Hatch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dartoftruth wrote:
Hahah. Yes, a latchhooking party is in order.

Count me in for that,it would be great fun, also I can be your "sewing machine with seamstress attached" for your mesh suit of you'd like, may as well add it to all the swampy sewing bits and pieces you have me doing Wink Besides I already know your measurements :p

Firewind Squadron CO and Northern Utah Captain
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jill. Smile

Odd question....what size are everyones feet?

I have size 14....and so Im not quite sure which 'height adding' method I should go with. I like dougies, but...I don't think my shoes would fit on buckets...So perhaps the foam sandwiched?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: