About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ab08cf255b901e4c31abab4f122fd2ebMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Help a Wookie out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Limey ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, i wrote a nice long reply to your message, but in a bizarre incident lost the lot! I'll try and summarize lol.

Size 12, i'm 6'-1". Flaring the pants at the bottom should cover the feet, but i don't think there'll be anyway to truly get away from the blockiness look. I hope to have such an awesome mask and costume that they'll never look at my feet Smile

I'm also looking at feet options right now. Both Ducks and Dougies versions appeal to me. I don't want to spend extra money on stilts as i'm not going for a really tall Wookiee (7'-6" is my target height).

Paint cans will get me up another 10" or so, and Ducks method will get me about the same.

Another option i'm going to try out is a company called US Composites. They sell a liquid expandable foam which might work in a foot mold. It comes in varying densities with the hardest being 16lb. Here is the description from the site.

This 16LB density foam is essentially as hard as a rock, you would need a hammer in order to make any dents in this product. Can be used for sculpting or the casting of objects that require superior toughness and strength.

The 8lb says almost similar

8LB density foam is extremely hard and rigid, like that of a soft wood. Your fingernail can penetrate its skin, however it cannot be dented by hand. Uses include casting, carving, sculpting, sign making as well as areas where an extremely durable and rigid foam is needed for support.

I figure this might work nicely. I imagine i could even pour the mixture and then place a shoe in the mix when its almost set, creating a strong bond.

Anyway, i hope this helps a little!

Oh, the link for this foam is http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give the site a look, thanks friend. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a girl who only stands about 5'6 which is a far cry from all you tall gargantuan boys out there. I followed dougie's foot making idea by using empty paint cans with shoes attached. Then just form filled in some areas with Styrofoam, duct taped the hell outtta them and attached a set of cast latex toes. It works amazingly well and is very easy to do. With that lift as well as the mask height Ill top around 6'9 or so. I know its still a aways from a good 7'2 but meh, consider me a juvenile chewy I guess lol.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickysix989 wrote:
I'm a girl who only stands about 5'6 which is a far cry from all you tall gargantuan boys out there. I followed dougie's foot making idea by using empty paint cans with shoes attached. Then just form filled in some areas with Styrofoam, duct taped the hell outtta them and attached a set of cast latex toes. It works amazingly well and is very easy to do. With that lift as well as the mask height Ill top around 6'9 or so. I know its still a aways from a good 7'2 but meh, consider me a juvenile chewy I guess lol.

Just a small suggestion, u should definitely add at least one dowel of rebar to the structure, coming up nearly as far as your knee! There will be enough space beside your foot to run it straight down into the can, and then pop a few screws to hold it in place!
U can then strap your leg to it for support otherwise u run the risk of a very nasty ankle twist

Hope it makes sense, will be doing it again myself very soon so must take some shots this time.
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesh has arrived and hopefully I'll be able to get it to my lovely talented seamstress friend and she'll help get it made for me.

Looking to order hair. Anyone know of good suppliers besides ikickshins.net?

Especially any that carry #40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wraith (Jill Hatch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame you don't have any lovely talented seamstress friends... Razz

lol get the mesh to Clark at the armour party and I'll see what I can do, or you can give it to me on sat at the troop, maybe I will kidnap you on the way home and get some accurate measurements and stuff

Wink

Firewind Squadron CO and Northern Utah Captain
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U could always cut up an old pair of trousers and top to use as a template!
Then your seamstress would only have to worry about sewing them up!
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Visited my lovely seamstress and she is helping me sew everything up now. ((thanks to Duck for his tutorial)).

I ordered the hair today so, fingers crossed it'll work out.

I also bought supplies for the shoes, once again going off ducks tutorial, I just have to wait til I can get a friend to let me borrow their tools/work area, as the dorms aren't ideal for all that. Very Happy

I'm starting to look to gloves/toes and bandoliers/pouches now...

Any input/advice?
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using duck's wood and foamboard method, let me give you 2 pieces of advice.
1) Use 2 pieces of wood with a layer of foamboard in between (I used 1/2" birch so it's not too heavy).
2) Use foamboard adhesive to adhere everything together. I tried hot glue at first and all the pieces came apart inside the foot and shifted around. I've done a bunch of troops since using foamboard adhesive and it's been golden so far!!

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got all my hair in...Think I ordered a bit too much black and too little brown but Ill see how far this gets me....Need to figure out a hackle and latchhook now. yay. heheh

Oh, I really have no idea what to do for the bandolier/pouch....help please?
Limey ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dartoftruth wrote:
Need to figure out a hackle and latchhook now. yay. heheh

Oh, I really have no idea what to do for the bandolier/pouch....help please?

I just built a Hackle and i plan on posting a 'how-to' as it turned out really good! Keep your eyes peeled for that, i'll put it up soon Smile

As for the Bandolier/pouch you have a few options. There is a lady on the forums who has made several (sorry, can't think of her name). Personally i plan on scratch building my own. I have the leather tools and some skill at that so it shouldn't be too hard.(i hope! LOL) I just need to pick up the leather (going to Tandy for it) and i'll be all set.

The boxes for the bandolier i'm not 100% sure on yet. I'm going to scour the hardware stores etc for anything that might work, otherwise i might just build them from MDF and spray them silver.
Donberto17 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Bandoleer. I have been told to talk to Mel. Name here is Cyodarun She is nice and from what I hear is the best.

Rob
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted her and purchased a bandolier/pouch. Yay. Thanks guys. Smile

------------------------------
Got it in today!!

Still trying to figure out a hackle and whatnot, but I now have my mesh pants done, latchhook should be here tomorrow. ((No car, I order everything online....Razz ))

So...yay. getting close to starting
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 hours latchhooking....about five rows on one pant leg....

I really suck at this....and I'm going insane....hahah.

Is this a good or a bad sign?
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. Just means you haven't quite gotten the rhythm yet.

You should not be hooking every single hole. You can hook about every 1/2-3/4 of an inch apart and still get plenty of coverage. Don't know if you're spacing or not, but if you aren't that can help speed things up. Wink

Keep hooking!! I hooked for about a little over 4 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: