About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=018c036170ca12ce69845229dfe58751Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia Ewok Dress
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia1138 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was definitely crowded. That's great you got a pic. I saw Matt briefly, but we didn't get a chance for a picture.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The humidity that night was a killer also.

Raven ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm planning on starting this dress soon and so far this thread has been a lot of help!

One question that I have though is about the back, does it also have the princess seams with the lacing, or is it flat, or have darts? I've looked through the blu-ray and any of the shots that may show it are either covered by her hair or by an ewok.

Thanks for any advice you can give Leia Buns

Leia1138 ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dress has the princess seams in the back, but I didn't do any lacing. The only lacing I have on the back is around the arms. You're right, it's very hard to find pics of the back of this dress and it's usually covered by all of Leia's long hair!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia1138 wrote:
Yes, it was definitely crowded. That's great you got a pic. I saw Matt briefly, but we didn't get a chance for a picture.

Mieal Deneb wrote:
The humidity that night was a killer also.

I think if I hugged either of you, we might have gotten stuck! Razz

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
couturebyKris (kris layton)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I made has the princess seams in the back.
I also didn't use the lacing in the back. Smile

[/url]
Princess Leia Endor Side Close Up by kristitches, on Flickr[url][/url]

(I also fixed the seams on the arm sleeves, they are no longer there Wink)
Raven ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replys Smile

I think I'm going to go with the princess seams in back without lacing. Hopefully starting tomorrow if this cold I've been fighting goes away!

One more question though, would the pieces of the skirt be draped rectangle shapes or triangles? I usually have more of a pattern to work with, this is my first costume working without one (for the skirt anyway) Razz

Twi'lek Pam (Pam Simpson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is to make a tutorial showing how I made my Ewok Village Leia costume, the way I did for Leia's white dress.... but I haven't found time to put it all together yet, and after wearing the dress a couple times I found a few adjustments that I want to make before completing the tutorial. In the meantime, though, I thought a few pictures might help.

I started by color-coding the reference images so that I could figure out the skirt layers. There are two definite layers, an inner skirt (purple) that goes all the way around and has the slit on one side, and an ourter skirt layer (green) that only goes halfway around. The edges of this skirt section are folded back, giving the reverse triangle edges at the bottom.

Then, I cut up an old sheet and draped each section of the skirt until I got as close to the references as I could. My sewing room brought new meaning to the phrase "cutting room floor" that evening!

Once I had the pieces in the right shape, I straightened and evened out their shapes, labled each one, and then used them as patterns for the suede cloth. As you can see, each piece is a very unique shape... you really do need to drape and experiment with some cheap fabric to find the right look!

It took some experimenting to find the least wasteful way to cut everything out....

Hope that helps a bit.

Pam :-)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps a lot! Thank you so much for posting this, makes the skirt seem much less daunting!

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great help for the day I want to start making this costume. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
padawan_rachael (Rachael James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the hair length for this costume does it have to be all the way down to the back my hair is down to the middle of the back or would i have to use a hair extention?
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I think you're right about getting stuck! Laughing

My hair is about middle of my back and I got approval.

Pam, thanks for that about the skirt. That was the hardest part for me to figure out! I drove myself nuts trying to figure that thing out!!

It's been said, but I made mine without lacing in the back as well. You can't see the seams, but they're there.

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I really want to start making this one now, and I've already got two-three costumes to do first (at least). jeez I hate it when I get bitten by the wrong costume bugs. *sigh* Maybe I can find a hole for it by summer/autumn?

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam, that was an excellent tutorial for everyone, thank you for posting this!

I am in the process of remaking this costume myself out of a much thicker suede like material, to appear more screen accurate. Smile
I am thinking about putting the lacing up the center back because i could have sworn that i saw a glimpse of that in a photo, but i could be wrong. In any case, the lacing up the back is not required for approval at this time, but, you should not use a zipper going up the back of the dress either. Use lacing up the back or nothing. Smile

@ Pam, where did you find that picture of the front of Leia that actually shows her shoes!!!!!!!!! I have never seen that photo before!!!!! Mr. Green
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Pam, for posting the tutorial images. Very Happy

To see your muslin pattern laid out brought back memories of when I laid mine out on the floor to mull over how to best use the suede hides and get the most out of the square footage all while obeying the nap... A very long, mind-bending afternoon. Shocked

Though this could easily be construed as bragging, I have to say making mine from real suede was a decision I've never regretted. I had considered suede cloth but to be honest, when I started pricing well-manufactured faux suede with a good weight, I discovered that it cost about the same as real suede.

That is not to say that a great gown can't be made from faux suede - I've seen a lot of well made faux suede recreations; it was just the price comparison that supported my personal choice for real suede.

As for treatment of the back princess seams, I opted to added suede lace crosses due to this one photo detail:

Now I was unable to prove this detail in any other photos, as her hair covers the back princess seams 99.9% of the time, and that's why it's not a requirement for the standards for the gown because it just can't be proven. But I decided to add it anyway to mine because it seems to make logical sense that it would be included in the back princess seams as it is for the front seams and the armscye seams. I couldn't come up with a reason why they would be left out of the back princess seams.

I did not, however, add lacing crosses to the center back seam; again, we have no visual proof and I did not include a center back seam, instead opting to have the back cut on the fold as the front is, again employing the idea that the back should mirror the front.

As for closures, my gown has no closures. I simply slide it over my head. However, I have a lost a bit of weight recently and while it was a little loose before, it's more so now, so as well as considering taking it in, I'm also considering a closure. If I do put in a closure, I would put an invisible zipper in the side seam, with the zipper pull ending just under the arm so it's tough to see or flip the zipper so the pull can tuck beneath the belt.

Costume Portfolio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: