About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=41bbc1698e70e5ec97c1d8a479f242cdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wanting get started with a Chewbacca mask

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzball ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Wanting get started with a Chewbacca mask Reply with quote

I'm looking to start my Chewbacca , but I'm horrible at casting and mold making .So I need the skull and the dragon skin for Chewie. Anyone know who I should get in contact with? I read that DUCK makes a kit but I haven't been able to get in contact with him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the only one has far as I know.

Bear in mind that all of us "sucked" at this at one time, and we just sat down and learned with a lot of advice from others. None of us went to make-up fx school or are pros at this (as far as I know).

Last edited by GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten) on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would recommend u give it a go, you might surprise yourself!
Fuzzball ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I might, do you guys know of any good tutoials and links to what materials to buy.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know hat kind of mask are you going to make.. static, or moving mouth? Once you decide on that you will need to decide how far you want to go with the mask. Moving lip curl (snarl) and or mouth features.

Either way I would recommend making a life cast and try your skills on sculpting. You can buy a kit but if you make it to fit you will be better off. The kit is meant for those who can't. I say give it a go... its a blast to make your own IMO.

I wrote up a tutorial a while back on Life casts... hope it helps! This should get you a copy of your face so you can sculpt your wookiee onto your face with a perfect fit!

I would also recommend you do a ton of reading on these boards, and also use the wookiee boards and resources page.

There are many people who have walked in the path your about to walk in... feel free to ask for advice.

Good luck!

Bob Kohn
Fuzzball ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob ! I think I'm on my way. So let me ask this... You first make a life cast of your face and then you make a life cast of the Chewie you have sculpted. Then you make a dragon skin of the face part of your Chewie head. Is that the way it goes or Am I missing a step?
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats about it, once you have a life cast of a wookiee, you can then make molds of his face. Once you have a mold, then you can cast a silicone mask.
duck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry for the late response. I'm just really busy with real life stuff, let alone prop stuff! I agree with these guys, give it a shot yourself. Making it yourself is a very fulfilling experience and not as hard as it would seem. It can just be a bit scary to make the leap.... and mistakes can cost a bit! But really, since Chewie is covered with hair, the face isn't the hardest thing in the Star Wars universe to sculpt.

Give it a whirl and ask questions, everyone is here to help. But if you hit a wall or it just isn't coming together for you, drop me another PM and I'll let you know how busy I am with kits if you decide to go that route.
Fuzzball ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well before I go and buy all the stuff to make the mask , Duck I just sent ya a PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: