About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5aa58ebe6b19284fc48a470b5b3f5029Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

wookie sounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namgorf ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: wookie sounds Reply with quote

Hey guys how is all you wookies creating your sounds? are you using a voice amps with recorded sound ect.... Im looking to create my vocals to match the movement if the jaw with a trigger system. if anyone has come up with an idea of something please share it. if not already then perhaps we can come up with a good system that sounds real.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few wooks in the past have gone with amplified sound, but from my understanding the sound never really came out clear and came out more metallic ... like a TK. My advice is go with your own sound you can project... oh, and practice a lot! lol

The mask (depending on how its built) can actually act as amplification in itself projecting your sound louder than normal. My mask creates a reverberation that can get real loud actually... just takes practice.

There may be better sounds devices out there, but I don’t know many guys that have tried them, and stayed with it.

2 cents

Bob
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bob said. I had a sound unit built by Hyperdyne labs a number of years back, and then sold it. It was amazing. The right handed switch would cycle through four different "roar" sounds and the left would cycle through four different "chatter" sounds.

When hooked up to a nice set of speakers, it sounded great. The audio files were 44.1kHz Stereo wavs (same as an audio CD) but the problem was finding a speaker that met the following criteria:
  1. Small enough to be hidden in the suit
  2. Battery powered
  3. Loud enough to be heard in a noisy convention
  4. Naturalistic sounding
The first two were easy enough, the third was difficult and the fourth was impossible. I seriously doubt you will find an adequate speaker system even today. I ended up selling my sound system two or three years ago.

I recommend learning to make the sounds yourself. The "talking" is pretty easy. Just get a bootleg of the infamous holiday special and watch it, as it is basically two hours of Wookiee chatter. The roar seems to be hard for some people. If you have ever gargled water you know how to do it, you just need to put a lot of lung power behind it. If you want to learn about how to be loud without wearing out your voice, read about how stage performers project to the back of the house.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U could use a RomFX made by John May of the UKG.
http://www.yourmovecreep.co.uk/romfx/newsite/index.html
Johns system uses trigger buttons on wires that go to your fingertips. His speaker is easily concealed in the mask! The only problem is that his sound files are 8 bit, great for stormies etc but not quite the quality needed for a wookiee.

Replicaprops (RPF) makes this http://vimeo.com/10423852
His system uses 16 bit files, excellent quality. Not sure h

By all means try making your own sounds, if you're a walrus/bear Wink
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean just RP. RPF is Replica Prop Forum. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
I think you mean just RP. RPF is Replica Prop Forum. Wink

NO, I meant RPF as in the replica prop forum, that's where you'll find him!
duck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do my own voice, but I've been making silly wookiee sounds since I was a kid! For a short time, I used a cheap $10 amp/mic set that some TKs use and just turned it up to 2 or 3 to give my voice a touch of amplification, and it worked OK for 3 troops, then I shorted out the mic because I actually would use surgical tape to attach it to my cheek at the corner of my mouth... and well sweat and spit tend to kill mics!

But doing it yourself isn't too hard with practice, and it seems way more natural in my opinion. What Matt said is correct. The trick is you lodge your tongue BEHIND your bottom teeth and arch it up high (like you would stick your tongue out but as if it got caught on your teeth). The tongue then fills your back of your mouth and touches the roof. THEN try to gargle/trill you"r"s like in Spanish. Put some lung power behind it and you have a decent wookiee voice.

Here's some footage of me at a troop last night that made the local news to have a listen (towards the end):

http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wgme_vid_3827.shtml
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah. I've been trying to get this right for weeks now. I've never been able to roll my 'r's...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start by starting to gargle water to train yourself to get them r's.
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that. Thanks. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Limey ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:

Here's some footage of me at a troop last night that made the local news to have a listen (towards the end):

http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wgme_vid_3827.shtml

Putting a smile on a kids face like that makes all those long hours of latch hooking worth every minute Smile

Great job Duck!

As for the sound box, i think i'll be trying my own voice. Its free, and free is good!
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other tips from anyone on getting the voice right?
Mine sounds more like a tusken raider than a wookie...:/ Hahah, been practicing gargling all day
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dartoftruth wrote:
Any other tips from anyone on getting the voice right?
Mine sounds more like a tusken raider than a wookie...:/ Hahah, been practicing gargling all day

You must have really fresh breath!

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: