About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4041a8ba76db97df5de31c11bc5c6914Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

First Jedi Costume
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warlocke10 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: First Jedi Costume Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm a new forum member and wanting to work on my first Jedi costume. I saw the panel at Phoenix Comicon and was very glad to find out it was a pretty simply outfit. I don't have a whole lot of sewing experience, but I do know how to use a sewing machine, so I figure that's a good start. Smile

I've got Simplicity pattern #5840, which I'm hoping is the one I can use unaltered. If someone can confirm this, that would be great. If anyone has any tips on what kind of fabric to look for, common problems to avoid, etc, I'm all ears and welcome all help.

Also, at the Dressing A Jedi panel, it was mentioned that you do workshops to help newbies with projects, so I just wanted to throw it out there that I'd love to attend one of those and am hoping one could be setup in early July.

So, thanks in advance for all your help. Everyone I talked to at PCC were super nice and I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Damien
RhidelSilpheed (Bry Squires)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Damien!

This is a great start! First before you go jumping into your buying phase I would suggest some serious planing!

Come up with a rough idea, draw it write it, get sources, decide if your going Old Republic or New Republic, then check out the standards for each and the parts of the costume you can budget for. The make a short list of what you can do, what you want to do and what you'd have to learn to complete it. And if you don't want to learn, then find out who can make it and sell it to you.

But if your already got that down lets get started.

First how comfortable are you with sewing patterns? If your new to sewing patterns completely I would suggest this source.

http://www.thejediassembly.com/tutorials.php?id=hk9

Also this is great for some of us that have seemed to lost out more youthful frame. But if your body is as straight as an arrow the Simplicity pattern is great.

Their are somethings that you may want to think about if you follow the pattern. First is a question of the inner tunic. This is a question of appearance and function.

I believe that with the simplicity pattern the inner tunic is actually more of a collar/ chest covering than an actual tunic. But if this is what you want then please go ahead but make sure your outer tunic stays in place.

As for myself my inner and outer tunics are solid and at times I have to pin them into place when I'm going to be really active. Their is also a technique that a few others in this base know of to give you a nice looking under tunic without really making a full one. -=cough cough Brenda cough cough=-

But the next thing is the materials. This is really up to your budget and the look of your Jedi and takes some planning and a few trips to Sally's or Jo Ann's. If your in the Phoenix Valley, using good judgment will pay off, so no you don't need to make a thick cloak out of wool or fleece to do it right, think instead of a lighter natural fiber weave, like suiting.

After the tunics are completed then you might want to look at materials for the tabards and obi. They're some solid patterns once again in that simplicity pack, but I've made a few that have not looked right and would be once again a good idea to plan a bit about how they would lay on you and how long before jumping right into the pattern.

Here's another great pattern.

http://www.thejediassembly.com/tutorials.php?id=b5h

This should be a helpful if not long winded explanation for some of the soft parts. If you have any questions please let us know.

-Dell
warlocke10 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dell,

Thanks for all the wonderful information. I'll definitely spend some time going through the tutorials you linked to.

I appreciate the tips on the planning stage. I was definitely thinking Old Republic because I kind of like the traditional Jedi look. As for what I can do Vs. what I need to learn, well, this is really my first major sewing project. I know how to use my sewing machine and have done quite a bit of hand sewing, but that's pretty much it.

This is my first real pattern that I'm using, but I've looked at it and it seems pretty easy to follow. I'm not exactly straight as an arrow, but not that far off. I had attended the Costuming 101 panel at PCC and the panelists said that if you're making a costume from a pattern, you should take your measurements and use the biggest one for the pattern. I was going to start with that and modify the costume from there if needed.

The inner tunic on the simplicity pattern is a dickey, not a full tunic. At the Dressing a Jedi panel, the man modeling the Old Republic Jedi outfit said he used one and had no problems with it. That kind of alleviated some of my concerns wearing an inner tunic, outer tunic, and robe in Phoenix.

I'm glad to hear that the cloak can be made to look nice w/o having to resort to the heavier materials. I was definitely advised toward natural light fibers and to go by the feel of the material when selecting the fabric. I'll be piecing together materials over the next month or so. I'm not in a rush and want to make sure I get it right, or as right as a first outfit can me. Smile

Thanks again for the info and links. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I begin construction.

Damien
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help D!

It's always very funny to me that a New Republic Jedi (NRJ) gets a less traditional vote in many people's eyes. In all honesty if you're too outlandish you end up with an informal costume so tradition is being formal!

Just remember what I stated about standards and your planning session. Old Republic Jedi have more items needed to acquire formal status with the costume in comparison to the NRJ (by 1.) Not all of them are needed for the approval but some are unique to the particular costume, and help out with it's feel. Consider that for your budget, but if you have the time and the resources, go for it!

Just remember that the hardest part is finding great boots!

Best of luck,
-Dell
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Dell, you should. Experienced Jedi costumer, he is. Wink Smile

Some threads from the Jedi forum that might prove useful/helpful:

Questions re: Details about the obi
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15830

Are tabards really this simple?
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22422

Covertec Clips
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22305

"Curiosity has gotten me into trouble all my life." -Aischros, Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

*Cricket, Cricket*
Blazshtaliar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well if you need any pointers on how to "Look Good" in your Jedi costume then i'm your man Laughing Wink

LoL yes listen to Bry, the kid really knows his stuff, also if you need some reference to any face characters, the padawans guide is a pretty good source.

http://www.padawansguide.com/

You've taken your first step into a Larger world.

Welcome to the Mos Eisley Base

There is no emotion, there is only Peace.

If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your improv, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman. -Joel
Sand Dancer (Brenda Cranson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm totally late to the party on this.

Yay for new converts!!

On the topic of dickies vs inner tunics- I like making a dickey and then tacking it to a light weight t-shirt. It holds the dicky in place without the weight of layers in AZ. Yuck!

Post up any questions you have, and we'll answer as best we can. Hopefully we'll get a workday organized soon.

"You smell like dead bunnies." -Ralph Wiggum
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the planning stages for my own Jedi costume. I think I'm going to go for a Generic Jedi and just have fun with it. I'm kinda leaning toward doing a New Republic Jedi. But I don't understand one thing about the requirements:

What is a Utility belt with a D-ring? What does that mean?

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Mnlymn (Mike Little)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme9055 wrote:
I'm in the planning stages for my own Jedi costume. I think I'm going to go for a Generic Jedi and just have fun with it. I'm kinda leaning toward doing a New Republic Jedi. But I don't understand one thing about the requirements:

What is a Utility belt with a D-ring? What does that mean?

The Jedi utilty belt... a standard Jedi leather type belt. The D-ring is to connect one's lightsaber to the Jedi belt.
RL Trading Card: Series 1, Number 44
RL Trading Card: Series 3, Number 137

"I feel the need...the need for Rebellion!"
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you've got an interest!

Here's some pictures.
http://www.oohyeahzone.com/collection/cb/cb5-lightsabers-ot.html

All of these sabers have a metal Half loop(towards the grip end of the saber)- the top one is in the shape of a triangle. As Mike has said this is the D- Ring they are looking for on the saber.

You'll need a hook or a clip to get it onto your belt and as well a saber that can have it's blade removable or a prop saber hilt with no blade.

Here's my clip-

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/D-ring-belt-mount-P241.aspx

It's great and totally worth the 3.50 plus shipping IMO.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay that makes sense. So by a standard Jedi leather belt, what does that mean? A fairly wide leather belt with a buckle? A thin belt? Does the width matter?

Josh, that's really helpful! How to get D-ring lightsaber to stay on the belt was confusing to me, so seeing what you do is really helpful.

Now, on the saber Smile . I'm thinking I want to make one from the Yellow Box site. How would I have to modify one of those to have a removable blade?

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
SpaceWolf (Jay Zarecki)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dring can also be held on by the two for 1.00 at wallmart key ring clip.

Smile

its a good find, and you'll get two of them.

i prefer the old republic as they are more traditional Jedi, but thats a personal taste you'll acquire after some time in costume.

A few things that I think you need to be sure of the TYPE of fabric. it needs to have weight, or it will look chintzy and fake. The boots need to be comfortable as well as functional (fits the part) cowboy boots, most times are not acceptable. Be sure to visit the costume resources part in these forums about Jedi, but the padawans guide is key, and helped a great deal when i started.

But I'd say the most important part is fabric selection, boots and color scheme.

If you need any help, give me a holler, and i'll try and talk you though it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi belts have 2 standards. Old Republic and New Republic. the best examples of the O.R. (old republic) are from most Jedi in the prequels - Obi Wan is a solid choice. This is the "double belt"- basically a 2'' wide belt with a 1/2 - 3/4 in. 'second belt' overlap. This is more extensive a project which involves a rear attachment to hide the belt overlap and creates the illusion of the skinny top belt snapping over the wider support belt.

The second version is the N.R. or New Republic. This is really just shown off by Luke in Episode VI (Return of the Jedi) and additional E.U. (Extended Universe) sources like video games, comic books, role playing games, and fiction. The NR tends to be cheaper in development ( time spent) and materials, as that all of the parts can be purchased threw Tandy Leather. Or you can get someone like myself to help build you a belt at a discount.

Both can be done cheaply- vinyl, Velcro, and fixings can all be used and some, if done well, have been approved. My personally preference is to have something done right, and make it last- I mean if you wanted to start running as a hobby you would not buy a cheap pair a running shoes or make your own for that matter- but I know people that have done so for both costuming and running and that's a great thing. Remember in the end it's all about appearances, so get what looks right to you, and then if you're not sure about it look at visual references from the movies and compare. If your still not sure then ask us here!

I've made a few yellow box sabers - but trust me without good power tools, dremel, radial arm saw (attachments for cutting metal), drill press and vices, you might want to think about other possible ways of getting/ making the saber. Do not use PVC on making shiny metal parts! Instead use the rubber coat spray recommended by the site on all plastic parts. It looks better and metal paint does not seal with out removing the shine from the paint! Removable saber blades- this is a task not for the faint of heart as well. You will need to make a decision as to what kind of saber you want- electronic (active prop) or non electric (static prop.) If you decide on electric then you need to think about which way to light up your blade- there are tons of ways to go about this- In which I would recommend talking to Josh Hoover- he's a saber genius. But in the mean while if you have questions about making a saber with working electronics read up on these pages.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/

http://www.fx-sabers.com/index.htm

But if you just want a false blade then I would look at this coupling at CSS.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/125-Sink-tube-LEDBlade-holder--P269.aspx

Mind you, this also has the heat sink for a high powered LED (flashlight saber) but you would be able to fit into a sink pipe and then with proper holes drilled create a way for you to plug in a blade and screw it into place, then un-tighten the screws when you wanted it removed.
SpaceWolf (Jay Zarecki)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also go with:

parkssabers.com
lightechindustries.com
ultrasabers.com (the brightest out there)
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhidelSilpheed wrote:
... Do not use PVC on making shiny metal parts! ... metal paint does not seal with out removing the shine from the paint!

For the most part I would agree with that. However, the R2 Builders have been testing all kinds of paint finishes for a long time now and some have successfully painted plastic domes and other parts to look like metal. It's a matter of using the correct paints and clear coat, and not laying on the clear coat too thick. You will never get a true painted "polished chrome" look on plastic, but it is possible to make realistic metal looking props.

David L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: