Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1e6f47ec8d248c918ad07e2c6f297560Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

FX Obi-wan TPM Convert
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obi-Jeff Kenobi (Jeff Hoyle)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: FX Obi-wan TPM Convert Reply with quote

Hey everyone i will be converting my Obiwan TPM FX saber. I will be getting the Conversion kit from TCSS as well the other parts. I am just wondering if i could use a Seoul P4 Blue instead of a Lux 3 blue? I think the P4 would look a lot better. I am not doing a kill key type thing just a regular conversion. If people can give me some incight on this i would like that very much. This will be my secound attempt to convert a saber. My first one never really finished it, but i am willing to convert it for my costume and for C5.
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Seoul P4 is always brighter than a LuxIII in all forms. Usually the big thing between the two is the color. With a blue you can't go wrong as its a pretty good shade of blue. With the green its more minty in color which I dont care for. I also have a few with Red P4s in them which is also a very nice bright red.
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting as Luxeon III may be problematic anyway...they have been discontinued by Luxeon, and all TCSS has left is all they will have until they run out. You may want to consider using a blue Rebel as well. I've found them to be just as bright with less current than a P4. You'd be happy with the P4, too, I'm sure. Eitherwill be better than the led string in the blade.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay-gon. I due have another question Since the TCSS has ran out of Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle, could i use a 10 instead.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could. You can also use the new 8.7 degree lens, which I'd recommend over the 10 degree. It's a more efficient lens and will give you a fuller looking blade than the 10 degree will.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the stuff i order it should be here by saturday.

•1 of: Hasbro FX Obi-Wan TPM conversion kit
•1 of: Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
•1 of: Seoul P4 (Blue)
•1 of: Luxeon Collimator Lens 10 deg viewing angle

Now i will take you up on that jay. I will order another lens and also get a tap set and some wires. Also need to know how to set up the heat sink and wiring. On the YCSS boards LDM does not show how to set up and assemble the heat sink? Do u have any videos on ur youtube on how to do this?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-Jeff Kenobi wrote:
Do u have any videos on ur youtube on how to do this?
Nope, no videos of that...never converted one of those....well, not yet anyway. Wink All it takes, though, is to attach the led to the heat s ink using the nylon screws, solder some wires to the led, then snap the lens into the holder, place that on top of the led and screw the heat sink into the bottom of the blade holder until it stops. Piece of cake.

Jason Detachment
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet sounds easy enough. I also will be purchasing this as well

Luxeon Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle
Luxeon Rebel Lens Holder
Luxeon Rebel Star (Blue)
Hasbro FX Obi-Wan ROTS conversion kit
26 gauge wire (Black)
26 gauge wire (Red)
1/16" Heatshrink tubing
8-32 x 1/8" Set screw

I new i forgot something. But i am going to be doing the TPM first. I will post pics of the process. Do you think i can get Heat shrink tubing at radio shack? Also where could i get a blade for this TPM Hilt and or make one?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get everything you need at www.thecustomsabershop.com and the forums will have a tutorial on how to convert it
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidd wrote:
you can get everything you need at www.thecustomsabershop.com and the forums will have a tutorial on how to convert it

I know, but thanks. Saturday i will begin the process of take it apart one step at a time.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-Jeff Kenobi wrote:
Do you think i can get Heat shrink tubing at radio shack? Also where could i get a blade for this TPM Hilt and or make one?

Well, your posted sounded like you didn't know that TCSS had blades or blade supplies.

I know RadioShack used to carry heat shrink in the stores, I don't know if they still do.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidd wrote:
Where do you think he ordered the conversion kit from, Sidd? Read his first post again.

Obi-Jeff, my local Radio Shack has an assortment of heatshrink tubing, but that's it. No specific sizes by themselves.

You can get blade supplies directly from TCSS....or they can make it for you. I get all of my blade supplies from TCSS.

Jason Detachment
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look in the electronics/electric section at lowes or home depot you can get a bag of one specific sized heatshrink. They carry 4-5 different sizes if I remember right. Where I got my last few packs from.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright cool i will be looking at them sometime next week. I am going to check with Arm on Fire and see if he could make me a blade or he can show me how to, he is from the alderaan base. Also thanks for all the help guys thanks.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what i got in the mail today. It only took 2 days to get here i could not believe it. Seoul P4 Blue, 10 Degree Lens / Holder and TPM Conversion kit.

Now next week i will have to order the rest. What can i use to heat up the heat shrink?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: