About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3f99f8f0f5f77cd26f1c6621ed83aaedMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Monk cloth width

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Monk cloth width Reply with quote

Im looking for monk cloth that is 60" per the drawing supplied over at TK409.com. so far in my travels and online I am only finding 45". I have also read that some of the blankets come in at less than 60".

Is it acceptable (but not preferred by any means) to have a seam running up the middle if two peices have to be stitched together?

I am going to continue to look for super wide width monk cloth or similiar rough weave fabric.
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, yes it is acceptable to have the seam. But I cannot speak for the costume judges.

Whereabouts do you live? If there is a Hancock fabric or Joann's they usually have the 60 inch.

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have sixty inch on hand, but looking at the pattern, I need 120 to make the complete loop from floor to the top of the shoulders to the floor again, then about 75" go to go from mid forearm to mid forearm over my back.

trying to do the complete robe with just the sixy inch brings the outer robe to about my elbows. I am considering gettng a solid slab of 144" cut to length and working with that.Cutting it down would give me plenty of fabric for other projects but that is a lot to cut off!

TK409s robes looks like the panels have been assembled on the backside forming a nice neat seam that I dont really care for.
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your proportions you need length more than width. The 60" is 5 feet wide. That covers shoulder to shoulder on most folks. Then depending on how tall you are you just measure from shoulder to floor.

It sounds like you are trying to do the measurements backwards.

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the illustration Im using--

http://www.tk409.com/images/tusken/robes/outer.jpg
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood where that width measurement came from. Unless you can find a bolt of monks cloth that is 72ins you will either have to sew 2 pieces together (which I did for my husband) or use the 60in width.

For someone who is 6 ft tall 3 3/4 fabric should be the correct length (always buy extra for when it shrinks in the wash).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: