About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cc14a28ad13e1f19feba54c60f2cb4e3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

EP I TPM Throne Room Queen Amidala gown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThierrySade (Lisa Robar)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: EP I TPM Throne Room Queen Amidala gown Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've been digging around a few sites to gather information, pictures and general tips on how to do this outfit. I have most of the pieces and parts gathered now but I'm still stuck on one piece. The large red bead in her headdress at the top. Some searching has led me to find that the design is chinese symbol for longevity and made in cinnabar. My problem has been trying to find such a bead that is large enough.. probably an inch or an inch and half in width. Any suggestions on where I can find this? Or perhaps something similar?

Thanks!

Amadalia
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer I turn to a lot is to make my own out of a Sculpey or Primo sort of clay.

JainaSoloFel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in the Fringe section just did a jewel for their Deliah Blue, and she used Castin'Craft. Here's a link:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Hope this helps!
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also sand down an existing acrylic jewel to shape and give it a gloss finish Smile I've bought faceted jewels to make smooth cabochons and it is very easy, just make sure to use a fine grit sandpaper. I think I started with around 400 and finished with 1000 before painting with an enamel gloss.

I do though love sculpting and casting so if that appeals go for it Very Happy
ThierrySade (Lisa Robar)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked pretty much all over the net to find one to buy but so far no luck. I think I may have to go with Mieal's suggestion and sculpt/carve my own. Confused Not my favorite thing to do but it can be done. I found a round pull ball for a ceiling fan that I can use as a base and add clay over it. Then see how steady my hand is. Laughing
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThierrySade wrote:
I've looked pretty much all over the net to find one to buy but so far no luck. I think I may have to go with Mieal's suggestion and sculpt/carve my own. Confused Not my favorite thing to do but it can be done. I found a round pull ball for a ceiling fan that I can use as a base and add clay over it. Then see how steady my hand is. Laughing

Is the ball wood? If it's plastic, my method won't work if you use that for a base because you have to bake the clay. Alternately, you could make a ball out of aluminum foil (scrunched down and packed tight) that you place clay over.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another curiosity about this costume. I've got a lot of time on my hands these days, so I thought I would take up some embroidery. Those gold embroidery bits look like apliques, not stitched directly onto the red fabric. I was trying to figure what I would do the embroidery on though. Basic broad cloth would fray once I cut them out and something like interfacing might rip when stitches got too close together.

Any ideas?

In various stages of planning and progress:
Generic Jedi, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Royalty/Senatorial Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about broad cloth with interfacing on the back and to stop the fraying some kind of fabric stabilizer like this or this

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
ThierrySade (Lisa Robar)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I've posted anything. I've got some photos of the top bead I was playing with but need to upload them first. Also got started on the underdress and made it out of linen with some casements for a couple of hoops at the bottom to help hold the outer dress out. Strips are cut for that and piping sewn.. just have to put them all together. Confused Collars are started as well and I've gotten some cording to sew to the upper one but I'm thinking its too thick. I got started on it the other night and did a few loops then set it down to look at later and it still just seems.. off.
As for the gold design... I've bought a brother embroidery machine and an attachment that I can download patterns from the computer. There's a program online that lets you design your own patterns but that's still on the 'to get' list for the moment. Basically what I'll be doing is do up the design that way, load it in sections to the machine and stitch it to tear away sheets that are made for machine embroidery. Well, that's the plan anyway. Laughing We'll see how that turns out.
I'll post progress pics as soon as I find where I buried my camera at. Razz
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try an arts and crafts store and look for larger size round wooden balls. You also might want to try a hardware store for those as well. Perhaps you could sand those to get the size you need...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
ThierrySade (Lisa Robar)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I tried the wooden ball method and tried rolling a ball of foil and covering it. Finally found something that would work.

The one on the right didn't quite work with foil wrapped around it but the one on the left was perfect. It took a sharpie pen without smudging and actually baked into the resin ball when I baked the clay on top.

I still need to add the gems to the upper edges but I think its pretty close to the one on the headdress.

The under dress has two hoops that I borrowed from another skirt I wasn't using. I need to add the fur cuffs to the sleeves so its an all-in-one piece.

And the collars so far..

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice progress. The ball/bead turned out great. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: