About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a593dfc049d6254746a808012b15ed0aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Wookiee in progress!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Limey ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: New Wookiee in progress! Reply with quote

Ok, seeing that it is "Star Wars Day" what better time than to finally start on my Wookiee Costume!! YAY.

I've ordered some samples of mesh from Collins Cottage and that'll be here in a day or so. Once i get that i'll go and buy a latch hook to fit. I'm also going to start shopping around for Kanekalon hair. Texas Beauty Supply seem to be a good place to shop.

Here comes the first of many questions.

Am i right in thinking that i'll need approx 30 packs of the "Super Jumbo Braid" type for both #27 (Strawberry Blonde) and #6 (Chestnut Brown), and then i need to find 12 or so different shades of grey and possible a couple more shades of brown??

I am really excited about getting my Wookiee started! I've already been asked to go to a couple of events with it.

Happy Star Wars day friends, and May the 4th be with you all.

Limey
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Star Wars Day and good luck to you on your project!
Limey ()

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can already tell this will be a fun project!

Allow me to retell a very short tale that just happened at a local Sally Beauty Supply.

"I'm looking for synthetic hair, kanekalon or something similar. Do you have anything?"

Sally Beauty "What do you need it for?"

"A Wookiee"

Sally Beauty "........."

The blank face on the young lady was priceless. Needless to say, i came away empty handed!
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bahahahahaha
Limey ()

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first small batch of hair arrived! I thought i'd order half a dozen packs, just to make sure its the right stuff. Call me stupid but just touching the hair i can feel the wookiee coming on. I felt like a kid at Christmas, ripping open the box to see it, lol!

I even took a photo to relive the moment Smile

Question, how much hair should i order? I heard about 40% for #27 and 40% for #6, but how many packets is that?

Also, it seems that Texas Beauty Supply doesn't hold the grey color, so can anyone recommend anywhere else for that?
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my gray #44 from www.ikickshins.net.
Good luck with the build!!
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Mark! Please keep us posted with your progress.

Phoenix 17
Limey ()

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement Steve!

Chris, i love your wookiee! Do you remember how many packs of hair you bought of each color?
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id suggest using #280 black/grey and mixing it with #44.
#44 is just too grey and very flat on it's own.

As for how many packs, how long is a piece of string!
I used about 35 to 40 all in all, might seem like too little to some but it was more than enough for good coverage.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but should also point out that there are two types of kanekalon, silky and matt.
Matt is much better!! LATrend seems to be one of the best, doesn't need much straightening either.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as mesh goes, I'm 6' and 195 and I got 6 yards of polyester mesh. I have some, but not a lot left over. My mother in law took an old shirt and pair of flannel pants and used them to make a pattern for the suit.
Hairwise - I only used #27 and #44. Mixing in the other color with the gray is not a bad idea, I just didn't do it. Wink . I would say I used about 40 packs of #27 and 10-12 of the #44.
Good luck!!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice to see more Wookiees.

Take tons of pics, and keep us in the loop. If you need any help with anything... just let us know.

Bob
Limey ()

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
If you need any help with anything... just let us know.

How's your latch hooking??

Just kidding Bob, I'm kinda looking forward to the many hours of latch hooking. Working hard at something like that makes the end result that little bit more rewarding and special.

Dougie, thanks for the heads up on the two types of hair, (shiny and matt, who knew!) and nope you didn't throw any spanners in the works. I got these at $1.70 (just under a quid) and so the price is really hard to beat. But i don't want a shiny Wook!

Are there any techniques to removing the sheen from this type of hair?

If not, i'll have to use another supplier as i can't see any other types at TexasBeautySupply
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are that they supply both, might be worth dropping them a mail!

Not sure if it's possible to take away that sheen, kanekalon doesn't take the same kind of abuse as real hair!
Limey ()

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after several emails and several days waiting for a response from TexasBeauty, i've decided to move up and on and order my hair from the same place that ChrisB got his from. iKickShins.com. They have a HUGE selection of colors and at $26 for 10 packs, its not too bad on price.

I think right now i'll order (40) #27 and (10) #280, as well as one or two different shades of black/grey. I'll still use the silky hair that i got from TBS. I reckon it will just give a little bit of sheen once its been blended in and won't be noticable.

I'm also going to order the mesh later. The black aquatic 1/4" mesh from Collin's Cottage seems to be perfect and the latch hook i got from Walmart fits it perfectly.

My mother-in-law (Why is it always the M-I-L that sews? LOL) has already offered to make the mesh suit.

Will i need any kind of reinforcement on the seams of the mesh? Duck, i seem to recall you mentioned this in one of your posts, but i couldn't find it again.

Have a great day
duck

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used a standard zig-zag stitch, maybe 3/8th of an inch wide. The mesh suit really doesn't experience much strain at all at the seams, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Basically, even if it fits your body a bit snug as mine does, you aren't stressing the seams at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: