About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b6ee93385c4065da2ba5c904dbcd2de3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Fabric dyeing help.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Cryvo (Crystal von Oy)
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Fabric dyeing help..... Reply with quote

This may be a shot in the dark, but wondering if anyone has any ideas on dyeing fabric. Problem is the fabric is 80% polyester and rit dye just turned it gray. (I need it to be black) I have researched dyeing polyester and know that it is next to impossible to do at home, but just wondered if anyone has had any success with an alternative.
Thanks!
Amadalia

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which dyeing method are you using first boiling water in a pot, washer machine....etc

I've dyed blended fabric to a black by cooking the danged thing for waaaaaaaaay longer than the bottle said plus I used more than the bottle recommended AND I added salt to the dye bath with this I got a 50/50 cotton/poly blend fabric from white to black. so depending on how you were dyeing it plus the adjustments you should be able to get it darker than the gray you got, also remember to keep stirring the vat as your dyeing otherwise you get uneven color.....

as for getting a true black I find adding a little navy blue to the dye mix got me a truer black than just black by itself

I hope that helps

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
couturebyKris (kris layton)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use salt in my dye baths also and use the stove top method. Also, there is a special dye for polyester by Jacquard its called iDye poly.
Smile
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the washing machine method? That has never worked well for me. My best results come from using salt and an outdoor stove (you know, a camping stove run on propane with a huge pot). I find the darker you want it, the longer it needs to stay in the bath.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a good sprayer (like a hand-pump aerosol), I've had some luck with the dyes at Dharma...actually they're the paint/dyes.

I say "some" luck because my lack of skill in applying them seems to be my biggest issue!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couturebyKris wrote:
I use salt in my dye baths also and use the stove top method. Also, there is a special dye for polyester by Jacquard its called iDye poly.
Smile

I've had good luck with the Jaquard iDye Poly as well.
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/idye/

Princess Cryvo (Crystal von Oy)
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the feedback!

I have some new ideas now to try. I started with boiling water, and doubling the dye, and with salt, then I tried the washing machine. Neither worked. I thought about spray, but would need too much.

Thanks again! Smile

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I double the dye and add a little bit of Tide or Woolite to the mix and boil it for at least twice the time when working with a poly blend. Just remember if you can't boil outside to vent, vent, vent! I made myself rather loopy this fall when I forgot to turn on the vent for the first part of the process (remembered only when I really noticed the smell). You can also soak it in soda ash before (really really vent that one and follow all the safety info on the package!) and then move it to the dye still wet and hot (still with detergent in it).
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyester is difficult. It might not take the dye the way you want it to unless you use the polyester dye that Kris mentioned (the i-dye. I have not used it, I only know that Polyester needs very specific dye and a lot of heat).

To get a polyester dark (black) it usually takes a lot of heat (stove top heat) and 4 to 5 times the concentration you'd use on a normal dye.

I had some rayon/lycra that was giving me trouble. It was turning brown not black. I finally just put in like 6 times the normal amount of dye, simmered over the stove for an hour and then just let it sit for another few hours with the heat off, and got a really nice black that way.

But that was not polyester. Polyester just may never turn black so that is why I usually avoid it if I have to dye something.

I hope you can do it though, please let us know if you get something to work!

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
PernillaPalpatine (Lisa Klassen)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this post being a fiber artist, thought I could help. I have had great luck with Jaquard's iDye Poly. It's great because it comes in a packet you just toss in the pot. The key is to keep the temperature up. If I remember correctly, the package gives a specific temp. Because of that, dyeing can be difficult. I prefer the stove top dyeing method. But you're limited by the pot size.

As to why a black dye would turn something brown.... each type of black dye is made of a variety of colors and as you've probably noticed, there are different shades of black. Sometimes fabrics will take up certain colors better than others. I've seen this happen with black before when I tried to dye a cotton/poly blend. It's also a problem with natural dyes.
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I crazy doing a very quick end dip of silk velvet in chlorine bleach to lighten the color? A test swatch turned out well, but I wonder if it will eat the pile...

EDIT: Clarifying - a quick dip in a very diluted bowl of chlorine bleach.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutralize the bleach with a mix of two parts water to one part hydrogen peroxide. : )
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! Thanks!
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benae Quee wrote:
couturebyKris wrote:
Smile

I've had good luck with the Jaquard iDye Poly as well.
http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/idye/

Can I ask if any of you do something special when using the idye for polyester? I've tried twice, now, and I simply can't get my fabric black! Here's what I've tried:

I have this light beige fabric, that I wanted to dye black. I first tried a Dylon dye, but it took NO colour, so, I assumed it was polyester, not a blend.

I then bought two packets of idye poly. I dissolved it in my pot, got the water boiling, added the fabric, let it cook for one hour, then went to rinse it with hot water. Afterwards, I gave it the longest wash on 40 degrees celsius in my machine.

While the fabric was a wonderful rich black before, it had now faded to a dark steel grey.

Disappointed!

I bought two new packets, dissolved into water, got the wter boiling, added fabric, cooked for 1 hour, rinsed out with hot water, then figured the water had to be hotter for the wash out.

So this time I gave it 50 minutes with 65 degrees celcius. I also added a cup of vinegar to the wash, as we normally use this to keep colours from washing out of new clothes.

Again, I end up with a dark steel grey!

Both times I've added a bit of detergent to the wash "Biotex for coloured clothes".

So....what am I doing wrong??

Mynocks deliver Babies
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mara Skywalker wrote:
So....what am I doing wrong??

Probably just to assume that it's polyester. Idye Poly will dye Polyester, but pretty much Polyester ONLY. If it's any other fiber, no matter if natural or man-made, the dye result will look very different from what it should look like. I. e. rayon, when dyed with dark blue Idye poly, will take up a light silvery blue shade, at best.

Besides polyester, your fabric could be woven from:
- nylon,
- acrylic,
- modacrylic,
- vinylon,
- lyocell/tencel,
- acetate.
just to name a few; but of course it could also be a blend of those (or others).

Also, of course, there's the possibility that the fabric has been treated to become flame retardant. Some of those treatments can be washed off; some cannot; resulting in an impossible dye.

May I ask if you did a burn test, and if so, what did:
- the flame look like;
- the ash / drop look / feel like (hard, crumbles easy, impossible to crumble etc.) and
- it smell like (smoke as well as ash / drop?

For example, acetate smells like celery when burned; funny but true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: