About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=953fd9ae89a8a96ea837605aef1ec4e5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Supplier for styrene strips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunslingerpadme ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Supplier for styrene strips? Reply with quote

I'm making a headdress and I'm interested in in finding a reliable source to purchase strips, and any tips on do's and don'ts when it comes to paint, types of glue to attach, and the like. Costume is a secret one. I've used sintra in the past, and I'm needing to get a raised design, much like the deleted family gown headband, only a bit thinner. Since styrene is a new thing, thought I'd post asking for any tips!

Thanks,
Laura Amadalia
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used HIPS (high impact poly-styrene) for my R2-D2's skins. I just looked in my local phone book for plastic suppliers and called until I found one that would sell one sheet to a private person (rather than in bulk to a company). For less than $10 I got a 4X8' sheet. Alternately, if you want something smaller, and don't mind it being relatively thin, you could purchase "Yard Sale" or "For Sale By Owner" type signs at the store and cut into strips.

Very interested to see what your secret project is. Smile Good luck.

Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styrene sheets and strips are usually available at Hobby Stores, specifically ones that cater to model railroading. Different thicknesses and sizes are available.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap Plastics.... I think they have multiple locations around the country. But they deal in various types of plastic.

www.tapplastics.com/

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the tips! The secret costume has just been started, I'm hoping to get it done by Easter 2011.
gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with these, can I just go ahead and use expoxy to attach them? Another question that might sound a bit strange, but once again, I'm a complete newbie to the material, and it's always good to ask questions. Can these be bent slightly using low heat, or would it be better to go ahead and cut smaller bits of sintra?

Another question, if I'm using the railroad model type (seems like the best for what I need them for) do they react strangely to certain types of paints and rub n' buffs? (always good to know before getting halfway through something and then having it ruined due to paint problems Wink

~Laura
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure styrene is what they make model ships out of, so you should be able to use model glue on it. I've used super glue on my R2's skins before and it worked ok. (For the bulk of the attachment, I used industrial strength double stick tape.) It should take paint well, I'm not sure about rub 'n buff because I've never used it. You'll be able to get a slight bend out of the styrene. The tough part is getting it to stay the shape you want it. If you use light heat, it might hold its shape once it is cool.

miqt (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CA (crazy glue) for sure. Bending HIPS strips like those by evergreen for model railroad etc using heat is desparately tricky (i find). If you are going for something circualr you may be better off to find a tube of the right daimeter and cut from it? or at least tack the strips to a master object and heat them slowly then shock (whatever it is) in icy cold water to hold the shape? Good luck with your project! There are masters of plastic on any of the sites that cater to the white armored troopers. They may be able to help you better than anyone.
Mike
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using the styrene for armbands for my Lake Padme for a while and they did bend easily when boiled in boiling water and then shocked into form in ice water - HOWEVER when I put them on and got hot in costume they softened again and started to straighten out again. I was not able to get a full circle out of what I had (at least not one that would go all the way around my arm and still overlap to glue without cutting off my circulation) so I don't know if glueing the ends would have helped but it gave me a lot of headaches until i remade in a better material (I also cut it myself and it sliced up my arms b/c it didn't sand down well just got more jagged when I tried)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the tips! This will be for a stable not touching the skin headdress, and some bits will need to have a curve to them, but will be attached to the sintra base. I love sintra to bits for stuff like this, but learned from making the Padme sleeveless costume from episode three that it's not always best for smaller detail work.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found for smaller detailed things a bake-able clay like Sculpey works great.

gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sculpty was my first thought, but there's just too much of it, and by the time it would be done, it would add a lot of weight to the headdress, which I don't want to do at all. It would also take the paint differently than the base of sintra. I plan on starting this bad boy in the next two weeks after some more pressing matters have cleared up. Confused
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Sculpey for a large portion of a head dress would be a very bad idea because of the weight. I think you've got the right idea with the styrene.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: