About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1c3e971d612ebbf8bf994657d7deee0aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

looking for han solo boots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a completely different experience with those boots, I just wore them for Shevacon and they we great. I just got a nice insole for them and they are just fine. I have worn them in two parades and several 2 or three hour troops and they still look and feel as good as new.

Sometimes you can't afford to 'wait until you can' afford them. IMO, to get you started, you can't go wrong with those boots.

Also with the holster, I got a good year out of my Customebase one and now am building my own holster/belt with the MP buckles. I would not have been able to be a full member if I would have waited till I could afford $400 for a pair of boots that I would wear 4 or 5 times a year.

Just my .02.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I only paid $100 for my full leather boots, but it took well over a year of searching to find them.
In regards to your comment from another thread (that was off topic there so I figured I'd just tack it on here) Yes we need to be supportive, however I don't feel we should bend rules or standards simply because someone can't afford it. It's been said many times, this is an expensive hobby. Getting things screen accurate regardless of the movie costs money, anyone in the prop/costume hobby trade will tell you. Sure, sometimes you can get deals or modify some cheap things, but typically speaking if you can't make it yourself you have to pay out for it.
I believe The Grey Elf received lots of constructive tips and I'm sure there's still more information out there to be gleamed. I feel for him, I was hoping to have my Han done and submitted well over 6 months ago and decided to attempt to make my own belt rather than fork over $300-400 for someone else to make it. As a result...I'm still just staring at the tools and leather I bought wondering if I can do it. Heh...such is life. One day it will be complete.
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but vinyl boots with a zipper on the inseam are well within accepted standards--even formal ones.

And yes, I did get a lot of great tips Smile.

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
Well, I only paid $100 for my full leather boots, but it took well over a year of searching to find them.
In regards to your comment from another thread (that was off topic there so I figured I'd just tack it on here) Yes we need to be supportive, however I don't feel we should bend rules or standards simply because someone can't afford it. It's been said many times, this is an expensive hobby. Getting things screen accurate regardless of the movie costs money, anyone in the prop/costume hobby trade will tell you. Sure, sometimes you can get deals or modify some cheap things, but typically speaking if you can't make it yourself you have to pay out for it.
I believe The Grey Elf received lots of constructive tips and I'm sure there's still more information out there to be gleamed. I feel for him, I was hoping to have my Han done and submitted well over 6 months ago and decided to attempt to make my own belt rather than fork over $300-400 for someone else to make it. As a result...I'm still just staring at the tools and leather I bought wondering if I can do it. Heh...such is life. One day it will be complete.

I'm sorry, but I don't think my comments where off topic in the other thread. I was responding to the "I think I give up" comment. You missed the intent of my comment entirely. I never suggested that we bend the rules or standards. I merely stated that there are more ways to achieve something than paying for them.

And since we must stay on topic, I did purchase some real German boots, that look perfect, fit my feet but not my CALVES........

I am trying to figure out how to stretch them, cause the boots look awesome and very close to the actual boots used in the movies. If anyone knows how to do that, without buying the $150 calf stretching thingy from eBay, please, let me know!

Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant more that whole string was off topic in that thread and I didn't want to add to it.
are they just too snug? if you just need a little bit, perhaps just try stretching them slightly by stuffing them with something, newspaper or old shirts or maybe. I would say maybe use some mink oil on the boots after you've stuffed them, it might help the leather stretch
Another option may be to have a cobbler put a zipper in them? Although that may run more or as much as a stretcher.
I believe I eventually found mine under a Russian Parade Boot search. They were a bit dirty and scuffed up, but after some cleaning they look pretty good, but wow are they tight on my calves.
I think I posted the link where I found my boots somewhere in here...
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boots are more than just a little snug. I need to stretch them an inch or more probably Sad I was so devastated when I got them and they didn't fit, wanted to wear them to Shevacon.

Charter Committee
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkos Khann wrote:

I am trying to figure out how to stretch them, cause the boots look awesome and very close to the actual boots used in the movies. If anyone knows how to do that, without buying the $150 calf stretching thingy from eBay, please, let me know!

Just fill the boot when your not using them with something ... like fabric, socks… anything that won't damage the booth.. IE sharp! Stuff the boot nice and tight, and that might help the calf fit a bit better. There are cobblers who will install stretch elastic at the seems to if its only your calf area. There are many things that can help you around these issues.

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerf wrote:
..I got mine from crazyhorsetack. Paid about $200 for them and had to have the shoe man cut the tops to make them straight ($25) but worth every penny!

these look good http://www.crazyhorsetack.com/mendevdresbo.html Cool

Last edited by Cobalt60 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only issue with those is that they are not straight across... if you know what I mean.

Bob Kohn
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that can be altered Wink these sound like the ones that nerftheherder bought (they're from the same store anyway)
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have heard a few people who have "chopped" the top of the boot clean to get that look. I am sure it would work just fine that way for those boots as well.

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the replica boots aren't straight at the top either. its the same curve, but not as pronounced.
http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-975-imperial-officer-galactic-boots.aspx
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my notes in a previous thread titled "blasted boots"
I went to the companies website and they didn't have anything but after reading my notes I remembered that what they have at their site and what they have on their ebay store are two different things. So I found mine on Ebay doing a search for Russian Military Riding Boots. They had a make an offer button that I used, I don't recall the exact amount I paid but the total was right around $100.
The paratrooper parade boots look good, but the largest size in those I was ever able to find was 9.5
Pete Solo ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: looking for han solo boots Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting the Museum Replica boots.

I am the basis for the World's Most Interesting Man commercials by Dos Equis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
nerftheherder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
I'm sure that can be altered Wink these sound like the ones that nerftheherder bought (they're from the same store anyway)

Those are the ones, and yes, I chopped the top! Looks like they are cheaper now too! No complaints from me with those boots, they work really well. Only other thing I may do is get them streched a little. The calf is pretty snug.

"Never tell me the odds."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: