About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dfb60cf99a12d269fc24500019000740Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Alien species Troopers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Alien species Troopers Reply with quote

I got questioned recently about Troopers who are not humanoid but rather one of the alien species that inhabit the SW Universe.

Personally, I am ok with that because one of the things that the Rebellion always stood for was tolerance across the species rather than the "human only" approach of the Empire.

I also feel that if the costume pieces required for a formal trooper costume fit/can be made to fit an alien...there is no reason NOT to have alien Troopers...
weather it be RFT, HRS, ERS...

Here is a photo of the costume that was sent to me...and since you can't see the face under the mask...this person's anonymity is retained...

I do know that there are a couple aliens in the SW Universe that are not considered "fully sentient" - something that was (more or less) addressed in some of the EU novels.

Those two creatures are:

Ewoks
Jawas

I personally have no particular feeling about the whole "fully sentient" issue....but ...as long as we might be discussing this...we might as well address the whole "fully sentient" thing.

Comments please...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I begin this somewhat lengthy post, I do want to say two things:

First, that is an epic job both on the RFT and the mask/hands. I think the species is supposed to be Klantoonian, but I could be wrong.

Secondly, everything I'm about to say is from personal experience and personal view as a Star Wars costumer/nut, and should be taken in that light.

I do thing it's a great idea to encourage the growth of Alien/Exotic(in-universe term)/non-Human troopers. One of the problems I see is at some point, we have to draw the line and say "no, that doesn't meet our standards". The question is: Where do we do that? Do we allow a Shivistaven trooper, but then reject a Wookiee trooper since Wookiee's don't wear clothes?

The second issue I see is: How do we judge the costumes? In-universe, the Alliance (and later New Republic) varied the design of the uniforms based on the species. If I'm supposed to be a Togorian Endor Trooper, am I going to be expected to have everything except the hands/feet/head as it shows in the movie? Or can I reasonably adapt the design to fit with the species?

The third issue I see is: What is a reasonable adaptation based on species? If my friend decides she want's to do a Twi'lek Fleet Trooper, and every female Twi'lek we see in the movies is running around in a crop top and leggings, does that mean her crop top and booty shorts Trooper will pass?

The forth problem I see is with crowd interaction: Most folks already don't recognize half our costumes. What's going to happen if they see a Bothan Hoth Trooper? Probably something like "Mommy, what's that beared horse thingie?" On the other end of the spectrum, you will have people who won't see such a costume as a Rebel Legion costume, but what is politely referred to as an "Anthro" costume. I know that this shouldn't be a reason to not approve a costume, but voice of personal experience here. I've gotten hate for dressing up as Elmo for a children's Easter event.

With all that being said, I personally don't have a problem with non-human trooper costumes, but I also can't help but feel that this might be something best left for cons and the like. We already have a couple costumes that I don't feel are appropriate for what we do.

First three are something for the LCJ's to look at, fourth is something that should be considered by the individual costumer.

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will also ask the LMO to check in on this thread. I know that there was lots of discussion in the Pilot forums re: alien species Pilots too and do agree that it is a question filled with "what ifs".

You will note that I did mention that the alien species would have to be able to wear all of the required pieces of any particular costume.

I am sure that we can all agree that there are some species that, because of their general make up, will not be able to wear boots...or gloves (in the case of HRS and ERS) that might be required.

This is meant to be a discussion thread....so I do appreciate everyone's input.

Very Happy

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´d say go for it!

There are many different species flying X-wings, and all of them wear the standard pilots gear - even female Twi´Leks don´t fly in their underwear, right?
If you think of the Jedi there are many different species, but all of them wear the traditionell jedi gear, too.

So, imho, all species should wear the proper uniform to become registrated within a detachment.
Of course only if the race is at least something humanoid and able to wear a uniform!

And a Wookie...is a Wookie, no matter what he/she wears or not.
A Wookie wearing a RFT helmet still remains a Wookie...

Last thing: As there are no references for alien troopers, shouldn´t it only be possible to get an informal registration? So it would be quite normal to do a "standard" trooper for formal and then add the alien as informal?
Just a thought...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, I don't think this is a yes/no question. I'd say if there is precedence in the SW universe even the EU then it is fine & if there is no precedence then it isn't. That's my take on it.

Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dave. There are Twilek pilots who wear flight suits, not crop tops.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, I think that different humanoid species within the Star Wars universe should be encouraged if they are able to wear the uniform. Case in point are the Mon Cal. In SWTOR, they do not wear the boots, gloves/gauntlets, or helmets of the normal troopers, but they do wear the rest of the uniforms (to include hats, if that is part of the uniform). Their appendages are Mon Cal.

With regards to the Shistavanen Wolfman costume, it should be noted that the difference between them and normal troopers would be lack of boots. The helmet can be modified to still remain RFT, and the rest of the costume can be worn. The only thing that would not be worn would be the boots. However, a costumer could make a custom pair of boots with a digitigrade stilt to mimic the feet.

Even if a costume part requires modification, such as with a Rodian Endor Trooper helmet, I do not see it as being all that difficult. All a costumer would have to do is mod the doughnut/soft helm slightly to allow the antenna through and it would be perfect worn over/as part of a mask.

Some species, such as Kel Dor Endor troopers would only need a different kind of glove included for their three-fingered hand. Perhaps, as witnessed on the Plo Koon arctic character, a different form of mask.

The various modifications to the costumes would not need to be extensive, only slight to accommodate the in-universe biology of the various alien species.

So, my vote is a resounding yes to RAID including aliens.
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If precedence can be shown then I am all for it to, but we have an obligation to the public to have a certain accurate look, even if it is a bit obscure & from the EU you can make a case for that inclusion but something like a Kel Dor Endor trooper? There were no Kel Dor Endor troopers, unless in the EU there were & then you can explain it as you are a trooper from Game X.

Otherwise I am vehemently against this idea.

MacRican ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the fight against the empire, their were plenty of non-human soldiers on all the lines of battle. If they wore clothes, then they'd be wearing the uniform of the service branch. I can see where some lines can get blurred depending on the species, but that can get figured out on a case by case basis. Maybe a good rule of thumb to start with would be they'd have to be an alien actually seen on screen in the six movies or in the clone wars cartoon. Everything else is informal. Of course that would mean E.T. Would be fair game LOL!

Sgt. Rook, RFT
Squad Leader
Rishi Maze Runners-RAID

"Sure would be nice if we had some GRENADES!"
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacRican wrote:
Maybe a good rule of thumb to start with would be they'd have to be an alien actually seen on screen in the six movies or in the clone wars cartoon. Everything else is informal. Of course that would mean E.T. Would be fair game LOL!
Perhaps a bipedal humanoid alien actually seen on screen (i.e. one that could be a person in a costume)... That would rule out E.T.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
MacRican wrote:
Maybe a good rule of thumb to start with would be they'd have to be an alien actually seen on screen in the six movies or in the clone wars cartoon. Everything else is informal. Of course that would mean E.T. Would be fair game LOL!
Perhaps a bipedal humanoid alien actually seen on screen (i.e. one that could be a person in a costume)... That would rule out E.T.

It was a joke...

Sgt. Rook, RFT
Squad Leader
Rishi Maze Runners-RAID

"Sure would be nice if we had some GRENADES!"
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There needs to be some limitations on creativity, we just shouldn't have anything goes. If you can prove presedence in th SW then it is fine, if not then it isn't I think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: