About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6a289f78e87425ab9409a4f2cae86863Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia on Hoth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Leia on Hoth Reply with quote

Okay, so I browsed the sektion and didn't find a topic on this one.

Now I need some help. Or rather a person I'll be helping making this does.
She don't know anything about sewing, so I have offered to help. Only trouble is that I'm still in the dark about so many things on this costume.

First what fabrics should be used?
She have asked me and I can't really say for sure, so some suggestion here would be much appreciated. Very Happy

Second patterns/pattern alteration.
Well, I normally make my own patterns, but this being the first bodysuit I'm going to make, I'm not to comfident about doing it from scrap.

Also I have read a journal on a Hoth Leia, and it looked like there was a lot of pre work to do, before any actual sewing.
I'm thinking about how to do the muslin, and what other materials might be needed for this one. Any and all help and thoughts will be helpful!

It will be some time, before we actually start this; soonest middle november, but I think we will be doing Maul for her son first. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might already have hit these resources, but if not, do head on over to the Padawan's Guide (www.padawansguide.com). Maggie has a wonderful page dedicated to the costume and also a link to the Jedi Council Forums thread which provides very in-depth discussion on the costume: http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/7920597/p1. The thread on the JC does combine the Hoth outfit with the Bespin gown so there's extra to skim through, but it's worth the effort - there's tons to be found there. I made this costume myself a little over a year ago and contributed to the JC thread routinely, so if you have any specific questions, let me know.

I also noticed you posted on the Hoth Leia thread at Angels of Iego, so I would say you are in good company when it comes to assistance.

Hope the above helps! Smile

Costume Portfolio
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he he, yeah I'm counting on it. Wink

Thanks for the links; I'll check 'em out when school stops drowing me.

I really need help, since I'm so lost right now. And as to having to read up on Bespin Leia, it doesn't worry me one bit. That's costume on my own wishlist. Laughing (someday...someday).

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Funky Buns (Daphne Collier)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started some research on this costume. Well I'm re-starting research on it after putting it on the back burner for some time now. I don't want to repeat some of the same questions that has already been asked about this costume, but for those of you that have made this costume...... What fabric did you use for the jumpsuit? And for a person who is on a budget, what kind of fabric could you recommend, and where to possibly get it?

I know all of the usual places to find tips (i.e. padwan's guide, tfn/jedi counsel forums, etc.), I just wanted to get info from the costumers themselves. And I know the JC forums have page after page after page of information to sift through, and a lot of it is out of date. That's mainly why I'm posting here. And any info will be much appreciated! Smile
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this costume in the works for a few years, then I decided against it due to the fact I live in Florida. However, with CV and it being ESB anniversary I am actually now going to follow through on it this coming year.

Daph:
as far as material it all depends too on how you want to make it suit your needs. For example: I am not going for the typical heavy insulated suit that most gals do. I am going for the look but modify it for my needs and location here in Florida. (no heavy insulation, but something lighter that gives the appearance) I dont want to be sweating in that costume year after year. Which I believe Audrey made concessions for here in Florida (Audball). Hence, I will be personally staying away from the Hoth version but do the Bespin Escape (no vest) Wink

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually want it to be warm. Every time I go to either the Christmas parade or the St. Patrick's parade, it's always rainy, windy or cold as Hoth (or all of the above). I'd like to have a costume that's rain-proof as well as wind proof. So I'm looking for material that will make that kind of costume. If anyone has suggestions on what I need to get....

I'm also looking to see if Walmart will carry these boots I saw right before Christmas. They would make a great base to work with for the boots.
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Daphne, after making this costume a couple of years ago, it turned out to be one of the lower cost costumes I've made (although the silks for my Bespin gown, and the leathers for my Endor gown and Boushh are real curve-wreckers! Wink).

Initially I had considered using sport fabrics, such as for traditional snowsuits and windbreakers, but decided against them because of how noisy they can be (rubbing pant legs and all that). So I looked into basic apparel lining fabrics and my local Joann's at the time offered a very nice matte lining fabric in white and ivory - and at around $3/yd, I couldn't refuse. It doesn't wrinkle, washes very well, and has been very durable.

My Hoth is also fully lined, but while Lori is smart not to bother in hot, humid FL - talk about a health hazard! - I live in WI and we do have events out in the snow and frigid cold so lining it was essential. But I wanted a natural fiber, something with serious warmth and breathability that poly batting can't really give, so with the money I saved on the fabric, I invested in silk batting. It's very warm but I rarely swelter in it indoors or in mild weather, and it's not on the poofy side, which I wanted to avoid (only with the patches on the suit and the collar of the vest did I use a batting with more loft for definition and body). And it wasn't really available when I did mine but bamboo batting would also be a good choice for this costume.

I think, all told, the cost came to around $75 (gotta love those Joann's coupons!), not counting accessories.

And boy, is it ever warm! I've worn it to winter events in temps as low as 10-15 degrees (that's with no added layering like thermal underwear) and it's held up rather well, even in biting wind. I've also been in snowfall (rolled around in a few snow drifts, too - knee-deep and it never soaked through) and light, misty rain with it and never been drenched, either, though I cannot speak for serious downpour.

To sum up, it's one of the more comfortable Leia costumes I have and perfect for the ladies in northern states. Not sure what kind of winters you guys get in GA, but I've worn this costume indoors a lot at conventions comfortably without getting overheated, and have even worn it out in summer heat without much of a problem (3 years in a row at D*C) - speaks to the breathability of the silk batting, so I would think it would be fine for a chilly and damp GA winter's day - perfect if you guys get down into the 40s and 50s. Smile

And if you need more specific info on it, just spin me a PM. Smile

Costume Portfolio
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank you, Beret! That was incredibly helpful! I will look into those fabrics you mentioned. I thought for sure Joann's wasn't going to carry any type of fabric necessary for that costume.....but I'm glad to hear you had luck finding what you needed there. Gotta love Joann's! Plus I have 50% off coupons for Joann's. Mr. Green

That's a great idea about using the lining fabric instead of traditional snowsuit material. I hate that swish-swish sound it makes too. Laughing Oh, and I love the pics of you out in the snow. Awesome!! Cool
Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, your costume looks very good. Amadalia

For me it seems like I won't be doing this... I've haven't heard from the woman I was supposed to help for some time, so I think it's a dead project here.
Oh, well, I always enjoy researching costumes so having some extra info doesn't bother me at all. Wink

Perhaps someone else will want help with it someday and then I can use the information I have gathered so far.

Good luck with your's Funky Buns.

Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the word on sources for the hard parts for this costume? The rank badge and the two arm pieces. Corellian Exports doesn't list it on their website anymore though I know they used to provide those pieces.
Akasha ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using down feathers as your insulation would be great. I have a down jacket and the thing that makes it so wonderful is it breathes. So when it is cold it keeps you warm and when it is warmer it doesnt suffocate you. Definately try sticking with natural fabrics. It will keep you from cooking.

Princess Leia Organa wrote:
I've had this costume in the works for a few years, then I decided against it due to the fact I live in Florida. However, with CV and it being ESB anniversary I am actually now going to follow through on it this coming year.

Daph:
as far as material it all depends too on how you want to make it suit your needs. For example: I am not going for the typical heavy insulated suit that most gals do. I am going for the look but modify it for my needs and location here in Florida. (no heavy insulation, but something lighter that gives the appearance) I dont want to be sweating in that costume year after year. Which I believe Audrey made concessions for here in Florida (Audball). Hence, I will be personally staying away from the Hoth version but do the Bespin Escape (no vest) Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing really says that the vest has to have batting or down inside it. As long as you line it so it can be quilted (quilting just one layer wouldn't really stand out very well). If you absolutely want to have batting inside, you can always go with a very thin batting. If it's going to be quilted closely, you could always use cotton batting. But, cotton will fall apart if the quilting isn't close enough together, so you need to make sure you read the label before buying anything.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the boots. I'm considering making my own boots. I think I'm going to get a shoe for the base that looks similar in color and shape to Leia's Hoth boot. But for the top, what kind of fabric is best for that?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other question. How much fabric is used for the quilted patches (about how big are they)?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*In Berets voice*
It will depond on your size.

My wife was insane when she did her research on this costume... she counted the squares... then made it fit her with the same count. The size of the square will change... depending on your size.
I remember she had allot of interesting comments about the pattern of the squares as well as the count not always working to her advantage... so I wish you the best of luck! I think she spent like 1-2 years of research before she started the actualy work.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: