About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=deb9a4c73885f75569d9cc3ce19aa07bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Modifying a Costumebase chestbox for RL approval
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Bojangles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use one long strap - 8' - and just loop it around.

Here a pic.

luke9511 (Ronald Jones III)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks again
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the described modifications, Costumebase would be the best "bang for the buck" at the present time?

Mark is pulling one of his helmet kits for me, and Claudio at Customsprops is putting the rest together (he offers a VERY good price for RL members!). So if the Seven Pillars of Booloo vibrate in my favor, I'll be ready for CV!
Jedi Master Alex (Alex Wilson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I have looked and looked. where does one find the plexi 1 inch plastic buttons?
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came from a local plastic company. Zhi-don and I had them cut them for us. They weren't cheap, but the translucent blue and white acrylic we got looks nice.

I don't know where others are getting them from.

Location: Finally in Tacoma, Washington, but I originally hail from Baltimore, MD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to make my squares from plexi glass, and cutting it with an automotive whiz-wheel. Sand the edges, paint, and then glue. But you buy plexi glass by the sheet, lol so I don't know if it's "economical"
Rumble (Beth)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making the squares out of ABS and then painting them is another option.
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine are painted strips of plastic as well.
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying a Costumebase chestbox for RL approval Reply with quote

Jedi Mickey wrote:
REPLACING THE HOSE:
The hose on the CB chestbox is ¾” in diameter and is clearly too thin when you look at it. The generally accepted ‘correct’ dishwasher hose is 1 ¾” diameter. If you choose another type of gray hose, it should be at least 1” diameter.

The CB box I received about a week ago is only 1" thick, so a 1 3/4" hose will be larger than the box itself.
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my convesion:

One of the edges was damaged in shipping, so the repairs required a repaint. So I took measurements of the stripes, removed the "rocker switches" with a putty knife and sanded it down smooth. Putty and repaint with Krylon "Smoke Gray". Maksed off and painted the white stripes. Elvistrooper knob, Bojangales for the correct buckle, and cut plexiglass for the buttons. X-Acto saw to add grooves between the switches, but not cut all the way through so its still one piece. I found a piece of thin (2-3mm) black plastic with a slight crinkle finish so I cut it and used that for the black area. The slight added depth adds some detail without being too far from original.

Bored out the box end slightly oval shape to accept a 1" hose. Grabbed an elbow and rubber flange at "home despot" to finish the end. Heated the hose in hot water to get it over the barbs. Rare earth magnets from Harbor Freight - $1.95 for 10! I used a piece of leftover 1/2" CPVC to back up the washer in the flange. With the big washer in the bottom corner of the flight suit pocket, it stayed put all through C5.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of overkill on the magnets. You didn't really need to use the whole package. Razz 3 or 4 should be enough. Wink
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hose has a significant mechanical advantage to pull and twist away from the coveralls.

I tried some ceramic magnets originally, but that was completely ineffective.

At least on me, the hose wants to hang right in the middle of where both the flak vest and chestbox straps want to move around. And its right where my elbow wants to hit as well. I needed a solution that would stay put and not have to worry about randomly smacking into people or displays.

I stand by my results Laughing - Not once during C5 did it come loose unless I wanted it to come off.
Rumble (Beth)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not realize Harbor Freight would carry earth magnets - sweet! I'll probably err on the side of overkill too. Sucker pops out too much right now.

Great job! Definitely looks like more work to mod one of those than build a kit.
"Time for some thrilling heroics."
Mac Bragg ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't either. Tried Fry's, several electronic suply places, no luck. Was passing by HF and figured, "What the heck..."

I actually enjoy all the painting so for me that's not "work".
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Bragg wrote:
So with the described modifications, Costumebase would be the best "bang for the buck" at the present time?

I know this thread is a year old, but I haven't been keeping up with things on here for a long time. (I would think this one should be a Sticky anyway!)

It seams to me that the best bang for your buck would be to just buy a nicer box with your money and skip over the CB box altogether!

The CB box sells for $30 plus you have to pay $20 to ship it from china.
Then you have to replace the hose which costs at least $10 or $12. (your cost would be less if you can split it up with someone.)
So now you have about $60 into this thing and you still have not gotten the proper buckle, knurled knob, Snap, neck strap, paint, ect... ect...
By the time you do all of that, you have paid far more for a box that only looks OK, but not really Nice.

DW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: