About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5f4d422ad4a401811b89a9da7bce199aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Confusion about HAN costume standards, ANH.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiney ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Confusion about HAN costume standards, ANH. Reply with quote

I'm a little confused about this ...

Black vest of a good quality suiting material with 4 channels/loops at the back yoke, 1 large back pocket and 4 front pockets; the upper right pocket must have quarter moon shape in the upper right corner with a little rectangular on top of the larger pocket. Vest may not rise above pants. (Shirt should not be seen between vest and pants)

.. I'm australian, so maybe I don't understand American [-smirks-] .. but I don't really get what it's refering to. The vest is ALWAYS above the pants and the shirt shows between the vest and pants.. well definately below. I'm curious, what is ment and applied here?

Stu.
Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to rewatch the original trilogy (alas, my tv is broken!), but maybe it means standing up straight? Solo's striking quite the ruffian pose there, and tilted like that would cause his vest to appear shorter. The standards are probably that standing straight the vest at least matches the top of the pants if not a little below it.
Princess Leia Organa (Lori)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Confusion about HAN costume standards, ANH. Reply with quote

Shiney wrote:
I'm a little confused about this ...

Black vest of a good quality suiting material with 4 channels/loops at the back yoke, 1 large back pocket and 4 front pockets; the upper right pocket must have quarter moon shape in the upper right corner with a little rectangular on top of the larger pocket. Vest may not rise above pants. (Shirt should not be seen between vest and pants)

Probably should read: Vest should be waist length.

Which is a simplified way of saying the above Wink

padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the standard to read "Vest should be waist length." The point is it cannot be a cropped vest, it might rise above the waist in certain poses(such as the one you linked) but you generally should not see the shirt if you are not posing.
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing up straight the vest needs to come down to about the waist so the shirt is not seen.

Thank you Becca for editing the standards and also to Lori for suggesting the simpler way of saying it so it is less confusing.

Phoenix 17
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha- OK - this would be very funny if the Han standards changed just a week or so after I redid that section of the costume binder *shrug*. I'll go back and re-edit it but I'm not going to re-check and redo the 50 pages or so I've gotten through so far. Sad

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah hey nice to see you over here Shiney, so you're doing a Han too which means we'll have 2 in Vic so let me know when your trooping as what haha!

Dont forget to come say hi in our Australian part of the forums here too: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=174

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standards should never be set in stone IMO. We find out more and more information about these costumes as we go, so our standards should reflect our knowledge to some degree. It's frustrating for those who are in mid-costume build I am sure, but such is life.

Bob
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gotta say, I hope we are not going to start nit picking an inch or two at the waist and how much someone's shirt does or doesn't show. Vests move around, there should be some leeway. I think a general statement that the vest should come to the waist area is fine, but to then nit-pick if a bit of someone's shirt shows (what if it's just an inch) would be wrong IMO. But hey, I'm not an LCJ. Just a concerned citizen Laughing

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, we sometimes look to edit the standards when it is not clear. We have a language barrier that is something that we need to remember. I know we had a member that had a vest that was more of a crop vest and we declined but the standards did not really specific that the vest should be to the waist. The standards are in final editing mode until we lock them down and start rejudging.
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:
The standards are in final editing mode until we lock them down and start rejudging.

So does this mean you are going through and re-editing all of the standards right now? So I should have just waited to update the costume binder? Sad Oh well... hopefully there won't be many changes because I can't see updating this more than once a year and I just don't have time to go back and redo the 80-90 pages I've finished so far. It's horribly time consuming.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay_Dee wrote:
So does this mean you are going through and re-editing all of the standards right now? So I should have just waited to update the costume binder? Sad Oh well... hopefully there won't be many changes because I can't see updating this more than once a year and I just don't have time to go back and redo the 80-90 pages I've finished so far. It's horribly time consuming.

Yes probably. Sorry for the inconvience but it is horribly time-consuming for myself and the LCJ team to cover the hundreds of standards we are responsible so the rejudging can finally begin. I had wanted to discuss rejudging with Base Command privately but it seems there is no place we can do that as my request to start a conversation with Base Command was not approved by Base Command. It will also be horribly time-consuming for the LCJ team to rejudge all the costume we have to rejudge also.
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:

Yes probably. Sorry for the inconvience but it is horribly time-consuming for myself and the LCJ team to cover the hundreds of standards we are responsible so the rejudging can finally begin.

Yes, I understand that. I didn't meant to make it sound as though you do not have a time consuming task yourself... but that project of rejudging has been in the pipeline for years now Wink However, for the binder project I'm just not a big fan of re-doing a specific task when it could have been avoided. That's all.

As for the base command discussion, it is my understanding they are looking into making a forum so you can chat with us. Smile But if something is urgent and Base Command should know about it, then the CO and council can pass on the info.

Please understand I can only set aside so much time for the binder project and I won't be able to update it again immediately. I can't make a guarantee that it will be current for CV now Sad

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: