Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2f644c037109cd56a79a6851f4ec1af8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New FX Series will have detachable blades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. More likely the new FX sabers will have some sort of plug-in mechanism for attaching the blade to the hilt. I also expect them to not be quite as sturdy as a result, but then I've found even the MR FX sabers to not be nearly as sturdy as some of the custom ones. My Luke ESB saber lost a bunch of LEDs the first time it saw any real dueling.

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tash_Verano (Mark Seymour)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-the-shelf FX sabers are primarily meant as show pieces only.

they were never intended to withstand "combat conditions".

these new ones might change the game a bit though on conversions.

the connection from hilt to blade has always been a weak point & a bit tricky to overcome for us duelists.

what would be beyond sweet would be the sales of replacement /alternative color blades just by themselves... pricey, but a continuous expense for some. Wink

but yeah I'm interested to see how they turn out Very Happy
Jedi Pete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres some great bits coming out this year, i hope they reach the UK soon....
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see Lucasfilm saying yeah go ahead make the blades and leds removable...there still needs to be a plug in point. The build your own fx didn't have leds in the blade and they used a bulb, I have a feeling there going to simply do the same.
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR did the R&D on these before they lost the license -- I'm guessing Hasbro will use the same setup Wink

---> if so, it will be something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/master-replicas-obi-fx-enginering-prototype-detatchable_W0QQitemZ170451439075QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100228?IMSfp=TL100228123001r9536

"Details : Master replicas were to make a detachable blade version of the new obi wan fx this saber got as far as being priced and showing on wholesale preorder lists but it was cancelled before production was to start as master replicas were worried that even though they had worked out the detachable junction it could still be a weak spot that could create a lot of returns if it would wear out in time

this is a 1st process of a prototype process it is fully plastic and slightly smaller scale to the one that would be made to encase the battery pack this is just to see how the saber would be made to have and work the detatcable blade"

Cool
SirkEkulSetax (Kris Luke)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIKES...well, hopefully Hasbro won't make it like that prototype: it looks very flimsy.
Parksabers' Phase sabers are a pretty good LEDs-in-blade detachable setup, but the one thing I don't care for with those is how flexible the blade is. It's not a rigid polycarbonate like the UltraSabers or the dueling blades that UltraForceSabers offers with their luxeon LED conversions, so the Parksaber blade tends to bounce around a bit when you duel--making for a very unrealistic "floppy-feel" when two sabers make contact.
I love mine for the way it looks, but not for the way it fights--and if Hasbro were to come up with something similar, as far as the depth the blade goes into the hilt for rigidity's sake, I don't see how there would be any room for an onboard speaker system as well as the power cell.
I guess we'll all see how it turns out when they release the first model...

Kessel Base Public Relations Officer
KJO Detachment member - NR formal Jedi Master
501st Legion/Star Garrison/STXSquad - TK5157
"If I ever cross blades with another Yuuzhan Vong warrior who can handle a lightsaber, it'll be way too soon."
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that they wake up and leave the electronics out of the blade, but its not likely. I haven't seen any firm examples to know for sure yet. I have read they will not be interchangeable between different models. LED strings are ok for display or show, but the second you start spinning or dueling its a matter of time before you lose LEDs. Guess we'll see when they put one out.
defyitall (Christian Evans)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's pictures of the detached blades from Toy Fair. There's a black plug on the end of the blade. The first gen Anakin MR already had this tech but they decided to put a pin in it and make the blade not removable. LEDs in the blades dudes. Why would they get rid of the cool scroll effect?

And you're right Lori, it's confirmed the blades won't be interchangeable.

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/fx-lightsabers/p33190-hasbro-star-wars.html
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm looking much better, maybe these won't be too bad
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ky-Wan Zann wrote:
The build your own fx didn't have leds in the blade and they used a bulb, I have a feeling there going to simply do the same.

The problem is that they had to use a relatively dim LED to meet safety regulations. It became a high-power flashlight because the blade was detachable.
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I didn't buy it cause it looked too phoney as I mentioned in the last post it looks like it's not the case with the newer ones
ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostSkywalker wrote:
Well, everyone I know of, especially local area, that has a Hasbro FX instead of the MR has said that the Hasbro's pretty much fry out the rechargeables after a couple minutes, leaving them drained. One of our local Dookus has the FX Dooku hilt, and he can't use rechargeable batteries because the electronics drain them rapidly for some reason. A few other people have noted the problem to me, hence why I'm glad my FX is an MR.

This was me, and my Hasbro signature Dooku does have trouble with rechargeables, it shorts out almost immediately. The leaflet actually says something to the effect of not using them in the saber.

Here's to hoping these new sabers are an improvement all around. Smile

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be because the circuit is designed to need every bit of voltage regular batteries have. Rechargeable batteries, sadly, don't supply as much voltage as the same size non-rechargeable. So I'm sure that makes the circuit go all screwy and would explain all the strange reports.
ionicdesign (Michael)

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is probably something like that.

It is a shame though that it isn't lit up a little better, it is kind of sad to troop a day event and have a pinkish/white blade.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rechargeables are 1.2v each. regular batteries are 1.5v

3 x 1.2 = 3.6v total ; the saber needs 4.5V to operate Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: