About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e0f2113dba631a8f7c24b60c3314d4f6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ESB Solo Parka
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
If you asked the average person who knows Star Wars what color that Parka was... most would say Blue, because that is the way it looks in the movie.

Well not only that, its been blue in most everything since up until a few years ago. Toys, video games, etc.

I agree with you Bob, both should be allowed.
duck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I totally understand, Becca, but like I said, I just don't really agree with it, that's all. Not like it's something I'm even advocating making the charge for changing (hmmmm... waitaminute.... maybe I am!), I'm just saying for my money, if I was making the costume, I simply wouldn't make it brown for my own use. If I wanted to get RL approval to troop in it, I guess I'd make it brown, but since it's my money, me wearing it, my enjoyment (in this mythical scenario), I wouldn't let the technicality of it actually being a brown fabric force me to make something I feel is wrong.

I'm not trying to start trouble with the LCJs or anything, I was just throwing this out as food for thought. This wasn't meant as any sort of attack or judgment in any way.

Oh, and it's funny you mention that the RFT helmets are truly white (EDIT: Oops, you said Hoth Troopers), because after our group build, we debated and debated over many beers, and finally one guy "proved" using the laser disc and his high def jumbo flat screen it truly looked gray compared to the the Tantive IV hall in equal light. We all went "OK, you win. I guess it really IS gray". But when it came time to paint, he caved and said "OK, I guess I'm the one who made the case for gray, but screw it, we all FEEL and THINK it's white, so let's all go white! As long as we all look the same!"

I dunno, I just think some things are fun to debate.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just assume with as many things wrong out there with our costumes as a whole in the RL, there are soooooooo many other things that are more important to fix, then worrying about what the real color of something is/was.

Light changes the way we look in pictures and even in person. Unless we plan on trooping in closed film studio type settings I just don't think we can justify to our members why we have something so obviously questionable in are standards as one way only.

This actually happened....
Both my wife and I were looking at that very exhibit talking about the color and how the light was affecting the Parka. When who comes along??... Steve Sandsweet himself! We chit-chatted for a bit, then he asked us "What color do you think it is?". We both agreed that it was brown, and he smiled nodded and walked away.
My point is this…
We where right in front of the Parka and we still had enough question to what the correct color was under certain light... that I feel that both colors SHOULD be allowed into the RL as formal. Really though, until there is one in the costume bin... does all this matter?

Bob
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I kind of treat the Han Parka like the ESB Jacket. The ESB Jacket is a charcoal not a blue. But because it looks blue in the movie, both colors should be allowed.
When I was an LCJ for the fringe I did not have a standard for the Hoth costume... simply because there is/ was no need for it. Not sure when these standards where made like this, but weird that we have them like that being there are none in the membership. Usually standards get written after there is a costume made. Maybe these standards could use a re-tooling.
I know there are a few of the Han standards that got changed that I do not agree with.

The reason why we allow for variation in some costumes(example, RFTs due to helmet color, Hoth troopers due to overall color and ANH Leia's hood) is that when we first wrote the standard or approved a costume, we did have all the evidence we needed to define the standard before the costume was approved or simply there was an executive decision made to have the standard a certain way. Since we have zero approved Hoth Han with the parka, we can set the standard before we have someone apply since then they know the standard going into making it for RL approval. We have many standards(some written brillantly by Beret) in other categories for which we have zero costumes approved in that category but since they are a main character, it is conceiveable that someone might do the costume one day. There is no rule that says we have to wait for a costume to be submitted to write a standard for it. We are responsible for "good guy" costumes whether someone has made them or not.

I am puzzled then why you would post pics from Kaydee showing the parka as brown but then insist blue should be allowed? The actual costume always supercedes action figures and other merchandise. For example, the ROTS Blue Senate Guard is shown with a lighter helmet in the action figure but the real one has a darker helmet. We only accept the darker helmet.

Last edited by padme911 (Becca K) on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys and gals - sorry to spoil the party, but I think that there is a Han Hoth and having seen the parka in real life it looks awesome. He made a great job of the blending of the colours.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=2621

Rebel Legion Council Emeritus : Base Command Liaison Officer - 2007/08
Rebel Legion UK Emeritus : Commanding Officer - 2005 to 2009
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgejedi wrote:
Guys and gals - sorry to spoil the party, but I think that there is a Han Hoth and having seen the parka in real life it looks awesome. He made a great job of the blending of the colours.

I stand corrected then. This would be exactly the situation I am referring to that we have one that is already approved and we have to alter the standard since we approved one with a coat that looks blue.
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:

I am puzzled then why you would post pics from Kaydee showing the parka as brown but then insist blue should be allowed.

I posted her Pics because they are the best I have seen. I did not post them to prove or disprove the color of a costume. I also posted them because they are also a great example of how color can be affected by light.

edgejedi wrote:

Yeah I wasn't 100% sure who was in the ranks TBH with that costume. I know I have seen a few at some of the Cons.
I just do not see an issue to either color I guess, both work IMO.

Bob
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I am not sure I agree Becca. I think it does matter on perception. If you asked the average person who knows Star Wars what color that Parka was... most would say Blue, because that is the way it looks in the movie. Maybe 1 out of every 10,000 people have seen the real Parka in person. And even then depending on what light you use the Parka can STILL look blue. I think Perception has A LOT more to do with it then you say.
I do not see why we have to have it as Brown only, or we can nit pick 90% of all the costumes out of existance as formal in the RL.

Bob

Ditto! I believe it should be the same as the ESB Han Jacket. Both should be allowed. Evil or Very Mad

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards have been changed to reflect both colors.
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm late to the party and really don't have anything invested in the debate, and without sounding like too much of a kiss butt thanks for being so responsive to the membership and discussion over here. Kudos.
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have some high quality pictures from movie, which are showing that jacket is really brown ... Smile

+ on last picture is visible, that Han has only one tool in pocket on belt ... and on first picture two tools Smile
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about Costumebase "Han Solo Parka" ... have somebody this jacket?

If I will dye it - could be good for approving? ...

Thanks for any info ...
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costumebase is approvable. FYI the quality is not very good.

Phoenix 17
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSolo wrote:
Costumebase is approvable. FYI the quality is not very good.

And it is also approvable without dye? ... ( I am not sure, if there will be some way, how to dye it ... because I don't know, from which material this parka style jacket is made)
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both blue and brown are accepted

Phoenix 17
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: