About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=be2a93637c8202d010857a54962117e9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ESB Solo Parka
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8063 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: ESB Solo Parka Reply with quote

Has anyone made a "real" Han Solo from ESB? I mean one you can really use as a winter coat? I'd like to get one of those Smile
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Members list, there are currently no active members with the Hoth Solo Jacket.

Phoenix 17
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he means manufacturers he could buy one from?

I don't think there's anyone out there currently making these for sale.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either one....Just thinking it'd be cool to have a winter jacket patterend after Han's.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever decide to make one or have one made I have some really good photos of it on my photobucket: Parka

Here are a few detailed pics of the paterns of the quilting on the parka if you decide to go that route. For the record there are maybe 3 or 4 people I can think of who have made this, none of them are members of the RL... and I doubt they would be willing to sell them either.

Sorry.

Bob
Anduril ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, no one's done this and got approved in the RL before? Had to check myself to be sure.
Was planning on making this once my ANH Han was done when I get around to doing ESB, and if it's going to be a legion first it will make it just that much more special.

Nice references there too SoloYT1300, I'll put them to good use, especially the quilting pattern diagram!

Check out my Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/needleandblade
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make one at costumebase
http://utopiabase.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_2_5&products_id=18
(this is their online/offEbay store)

I've never bought one so I don't know what they are like.
its probably not up to legion standards , but it IS a han solo parka. for under $100
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not acceptable, its blue. standards say its supposed to be brown like the real jacket.
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Costumebase one is Blue and according to the standards we only accept Brown as the coat was seen by members of RL

Phoenix 17
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anduril wrote:

Nice references there too SoloYT1300, I'll put them to good use, especially the quilting pattern diagram!

Its not 100% accurate, I do know that the hood is a 4 piece pattern not a 2 piece that the drawing shows. Like anythiing worth doing, do your own homework just in case someone is wrong. Wink

Bob
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just loaded a few pics that where taken by Kathy "Kay Dee" These where from one of the Celebration exhibits, Hers are much better than mine. Her pics show you how brown it really is/was. She also took a pic of the display that explains the color issue a bit better. With Kay Dees permission I have loaded a few of her pics of this Parka to my archive pic site.

Photos are courtesy of Kathy “Kay Dee”

Photos are courtesy of Kathy “Kay Dee”

Bob
duck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, here's my problem with some ways we go about creating standards. There's been a lot of things in the Myth and Magic tour or the SW in Concert tour that when you see them up close, you go "ohhhhh, so THAT'S what that doodad is!" And that is great for filling in a missing puzzle piece.

But in a case like this, it's an actual color. But there's the rub.... for my money, I really don't CARE what color the prop is in real life, I actually care if it looks the way it looked to us on screen. (On a side note, it isn't like we haven't found several items on these tours are just as inaccurate as previous info, due to recreation of lost items or bad cataloged stuff that went around for photo shoots. I mean, you are making a big mistake if you use the SW Visual Dictionary as your 100% accurate reference for some costumes, because some of that is WAAAAAY off! Stuff wasn't actually screen used, some stuff was for early PR shots that got cut, stuff is poorly replicated, etc.) Just like we have learned that Jack Pierce's makeup on Boris Karloff's Frankenstein was a deep cucumber green to create a certain hue on black and white film, we don't think of a realistic Karloff Frankenstein as dark green, we think he'd be a pale yellowy skin or whitish.

So in this case, we have several factors clouding our perception of Han's coat, and they even admit as much in the display info. All early merchandise in the first run of ESB depicted the coat as blue. The toys, posters, etc. The coat looks blue to most of us due to lighting, landscape and/or film stock (I have yet to meet anyone who would argue it looks brown on VHS,DVD, Laser Disc or theatrical re-release, but I've met a few that argue that it WAS brown but looks blue).

So if it LOOKS blue on film, it was always PORTRAYED as blue in other media in 1980, we all seem to REMEMBER it as blue, the general fan and public THINKS it's blue.... why are we being so anal and saying it should be brown? Our local Solo has been planning on doing this parka for a year and man, have we had crazy fun but long debates about this. And at the end of the day, we both agreed, who cares what the standard is, he's probably going blue. OK, so it doesn't get approved, but it seems silly to us to follow the letter of the law to have an end result that seems wrong to all of us.

Just food for thought. If I was doing a Hoth Solo, no standard in the world would make me make it brown.

(We had similar discussion with RFT helmets- white or light gray, but that's another story!)
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck, you must remember it does not matter what our perception is, it matters what the costume actually looks like. Much like the discovery that the Hoth snow troopers did wear white and not off-white, we can get much information from the actual costume. The PT costumes had much more well documented information. We do have much more info from the OT stuff now and we always must remember what it looks like on screen can differ in person. I found, for example, with my Padme Steel Blue Veranda Nightgown, that when I custom dyed my silk the correct color, it appears the same as the movie costume in low light on camera(silvery, almost lavender as opposed to blue). We are not being anal, if we have the information to make the costume accurate to the original, then it is our mission to make sure our standards reflect the new information.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of treat the Han Parka like the ESB Jacket. The ESB Jacket is a charcoal not a blue. But because it looks blue in the movie, both colors should be allowed.
When I was an LCJ for the fringe I did not have a standard for the Hoth costume... simply because there is/ was no need for it. Not sure when these standards where made like this, but weird that we have them like that being there are none in the membership. Usually standards get written after there is a costume made. Maybe these standards could use a re-tooling.
I know there are a few of the Han standards that got changed that I do not agree with.

Bob
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I agree Becca. I think it does matter on perception. If you asked the average person who knows Star Wars what color that Parka was... most would say Blue, because that is the way it looks in the movie. Maybe 1 out of every 10,000 people have seen the real Parka in person. And even then depending on what light you use the Parka can STILL look blue. I think Perception has A LOT more to do with it then you say.
I do not see why we have to have it as Brown only, or we can nit pick 90% of all the costumes out of existance as formal in the RL.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: