Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=510fad8d3f9c00b462e58670f602450eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ThinkGeek: Lightsaber Practice Bokken
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest folks from someone who does fight sequences a lot and makes a career as best he can out of it when it comes to Lightsaber fighting it's really no different then any other kind of sword fighting. You just have to make it look flashier.

Even Nick Gillard looked at tree chopping for ideas where as Peter Diamond and Bob Anderson used Olympic Fencing as a style to base from. Depending on the character and all you can do multiple things and try different things, there isn't really an actual best way to do it because despite the EU developing forms it doesn't really teach so much as give refrence.

I look at it this way, if your a fan of the Lightsaber and if you have a force fx go outside and turn it on...the rest will take care of itself

(also for legalities, please do not point at animals or people in a combative or threatinging way) there covered my stuntman butt Smile
hehe
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried holding a Force FX saber... those are ridiculously thick! My hands are tiny, and I looked comical holding one! Plus sabers bother me that have all kinds of switches and doodads on the handle. I'm going to be building my own from Custom Saber Shops. I'm putting all the switches and belt clips out of the way so I have an unobstructed grip, and a shorter blade since I'm only 5' tall. I just hope I can learn how to wield one without looking like a dork

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banditjedi taught me everything I know Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2poqhhqUn8&feature=related

(you pretty much only need lessons #5-10 ; #1-4 are too basic and #11 starts the double-saber stuff)
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
I tried holding a Force FX saber... those are ridiculously thick! My hands are tiny, and I looked comical holding one! Plus sabers bother me that have all kinds of switches and doodads on the handle. I'm going to be building my own from Custom Saber Shops. I'm putting all the switches and belt clips out of the way so I have an unobstructed grip, and a shorter blade since I'm only 5' tall. I just hope I can learn how to wield one without looking like a dork

The saber is use has a pressure switch in the pommel and nothing but flat metal from top to bottom. Its great for spinning or dueling so you don't scratch yourself or anything like that on it. I learned most of my spinning skills on my own, but there are a couple people that have made "training" videos. So far I haven't learned much from it I didn't already know, but there is more forth coming soon. I'd be happy to teach/show anyone in the area what I know. I'll be part of Dantooine base when I get my costume finished. Which I need to get working on again here soon.
Xenobuzz ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: ThinkGeek: Lightsaber Practice Bokken Reply with quote

Greetings, programs!

Sorry, I can't resist a Tron reference for my first post!

Lessee, I guess I should start with a little history! I entered an online contest at ThinkGeek.com a few months ago and came in second! The $250 Gift Certificate was just enough to cover Darth Vader and Obi-Wan's ANH Force FX lightsabers!

I vaguely remember them being on the market, but I did not recall being impressed by them. This was likely due to them being displayed in brightly lit environments that did NOT convey the full effect of their awesomeness.

When my prizes arrived via UPS, I was blown away. I waited until sundown for the best effect and when I hit the switch I time traveled back to when I was eight years old. "Star Wars" had just come out and both my father and I were captivated.

Both of us had been waiting for a sci-fi movie like this our whole lives. The Force FX lightsabers are, by far, the best piece of movie merchandise ever made! Upon holding one and swinging it around, every single friend of mine got that twinkle in their eye that said: "This is the coolest *ucking toy EVER!"

Anyways, I began to get very interested in learning moves, spins and tricks. I discovered all the YouTube videos, and even ordered a DVD that has helped me in so many ways.

However, like many of you, I didn't want to risk damaging my sabers during practice, so I ordered one of these bokkens.

I had mixed feelings about my purchase:

1. The most important thing that I can say about them is that they are NOT balanced evenly. They are VERY blade heavy! The bokken feels anywhere from a third to twice as heavy as my Obi ANH saber.

2. The wood in the handle is VERY soft and began chipping after the first time that I dropped it. Granted, it was concrete but I expected a little more durability than that!

3. The extreme blade heaviness makes it much harder on your knuckles to replicate moves, and I found myself with quite sore hands that I hadn't encountered before. It also means that your muscle memory will be totally different due to the extra effort required to achieve the same movement with such an unbalanced bokken.

4. The bokken broke after a couple of medium hits on the sidewalk! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Such an item should be more, not less durable than my actual Force FX saber.

This product should be made of something other than wood if it's going to be a true practice weapon. It does NOT have the durability or balance of the actual prop. I will definitely NOT be purchasing a replacement as this product did not serve well as a more durable replacement in ANY way!

No stars.

Dave S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: