About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fb890037e436459e836572ae9c0f298aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

***Deliah Blue Resources***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoninJedi (Ann Marie)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Jedi Carenix wrote:
I am very interested to hear whatever progress you make as this is one of the costumes on my "To-Do" list. Wink Smile

Well I'm actually supposed to finish another costume first, but the pattern was annoying me yesterday so I did some work on the base of my gauntlets. I looked at the all the different ways they appear in the comics and collected the ones of the most common "feel"/design

Made up my own sketch putting together the different angles

[imgh]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/roninjedi08/Star%20Wars/Deliah%20Blue/Deliah%20Blue%20Progress/DSCN2964.jpg[/img]

Measured my wrist and forearm for the base

Cut it from Sintra, heated it up in hot water and molded it around a spice bottle to get the shape and then sketched on the design in pencil.

I'm going to make a shimmy out of thinner Sintra to slip inside the gauntlet underside to close it up. My next step with them is making a clay version of the gem so I can make a mold and cast it in a clear resin with purple pigment. I'm planning on using Paperclay to sculpt onto the gauntlets themselves.

Last edited by RoninJedi (Ann Marie) on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Cool Thanks for sharing. Smile

"Curiosity has gotten me into trouble all my life." -Aischros, Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

*Cricket, Cricket*
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the "shimmy" was something you did, not made. Razz

Wink
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she meant shim not shimmy Razz Amadalia
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:
I think she meant shim not shimmy Razz Amadalia

Well I'll have a shim and then do a shimmy, so it all works out!
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a little typo with the URL for your sketch picture (btw looks good!):
RoninJedi wrote:

Made up my own sketch putting together the different angles

RoninJedi wrote:
It's just frustrating, because her top will appear one way 4 times and her pants one way for 4 times, but those four times might not be at the same time! :-P Ah well, babbling, but you get the point, paying attention to all the details is making me a little crazy.
Then never think about do or help someone with Starkiller (ever!). We have at least three different variants for his basic costume (comic, in-game, cut-scene/promotional pictures). That costume is a pain in the neck for Pam and Thomas due to all the details. Sad
However, to Deliah: Albeit the coloring mistakes and the different designs: Why shouldn't Deliah not have some more similar-looking clothes in her wardrobe? I recommend you use her likeness on the comic covers she is depicted on (these are just the numbers 2 and 46 I think). Normally, the artists look more for details on the covers than on the inside. Otherwise, just stick to the most-seen variant of her costume (but I think you alread do).
And don't forget: You can always rant about the costume. ^^

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
RoninJedi (Ann Marie)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm sewing on another project right now, but when I need some non-fabric worktime I've been working on my Deliah gauntlets a bit. I've sanded the edges some so they won't cut my skin anymore, but the biggest thing I've been working on is her gemstones. I sculpted one out of air-drying clay, sealed it up, made a Rebound rubber cast, and started playing with resin. At the moment I'm not super happy with the resin because the stuff I got from Smooth-on is bubbling a lot and not giving a clear gem look. I also have to use less than one drop of the purple tint, so that's fun trying to get the right amount. I'm probably going to give up on the Smooth-Cast 325 and try the Castin'Craft clear resin instead (although it's supposed to be way more toxic).

Here's the photos of the first six casts.

Version 1 - The mold was damp and the resin expanded.
Version 2 - Too much tint, too dark to look clear.
Version 3 - Too light, and bubbles.
Version 4 - Smooth-Cast Roto, just to test, obviously opaque.
Version 5 - Color is closer, but bubbles and attempted buffing opaqued surface in spot.
Version 6 - Color about right, used gloss clearcoat on top to add shine, still tons of bubbles.

I got an even glossier topcoat that I'm happy with and should be picking up the Castin'Craft tomorrow. There's just no way to get rid of the bubbles with this resin except by casting under pressure, which is just not a viable option for me.
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Versions 4-6 are looking good. Keep going. I love Legacy era costumes! Smile

KJO | Member

Last edited by Daritha (Christian) on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Versions 5 and 6 look good for color.

Phoenix 17
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but what about doing a layer of clear at about 1/16 thickness let dry. Then complete it with the color. I think you will end up with a very interesting sheen that might pull off some of the reflection color change you might be looking for.

2 cents

Bob
RoninJedi (Ann Marie)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, interesting idea, but I think I finally got a look I'm happy with!

So after experimenting with the old resin a couple more times I switched to Castin'Craft with great success. It takes much longer to cure which allows the bubbles to escape. The only problem is it tends to be very tacky, but nothing a few hours of careful wetsanding can't take care of!

So the final gems I will be using are v.10 and 10B. They are exactly the same but I'm going to paint the bracelet under the gem purple to get it the right color. 10B photographs a little darker than it actually is. With v9 I got about the right color (again photographed darker) but unless you look at it straight on it looks almost opaque and black because you look through more of the resin. Hence the purple paint underneath, now it looks the right color from both the side and straight down! After wet sanding them I shot them with some high gloss sealant and they look pretty good IMHO.

Because of the curvature of the bracelet I made a little "docking station"/inset for each gem with Paperclay and just imprinted the bottom of one gem on each. I had planned to sand the bottom of the gem to fit the curvature, but I realized that this would not only be way easier, but probably end up working better. After it dries I'm going to sand it a bit, do the purple acrylic paint, superglue in the gems and start sculpting all the other fun raised details! It's nice to be taking a break from sewing to do this :-D
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V. 10B close up looks very good, and the bracelet is taking good form. I like the idea that you are giving the gems a "docking bay". I do believe that it will be a much better idea than sanding the bottom of the gems.

Keep up the awesome work and when you can please keep us updated.

Phoenix 17
RoninJedi (Ann Marie)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small amount of progress on the bracelets/gauntlets. I just accepted a new job so my updates will probably be sporadic over the next couple weeks as I adjust to a new life, find a new apartment etc. But I did attach the gems, complete sculpting one in Paperclay and start the other. It's harder to do the second because I'm trying to be symmetrical but I made the original docking bays a little different...so it's making the best of an impossible task.

I'm going to sand the clay down after I'm done and use Liquid Leaf for the gold. I'm still not sure about how to seal it or if I even need to. The stuff I got as sealant makes it look less gold and on the test piece it didn't seem to rub or chip off even without it. I'm using magnet strips on the shims and rare earth magnets set into the bracelets to complete the circle. I'll Paperclay some on the shims too for uniformity. And now, pictures!

Liquid Leaf test

Oh, and I decided that with how much Deliah's boots seem to change color I didn't have to go with the light purple I had and bought some new fabric for a darker shade of purple that they also appear as. And I think the darker color is used more often in the actual books rather than just coverart. Also got some foam kneepads for $4 at the hardware store as a base for her quilted ones.

Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gauntlet looks great! You totally get the right form and shape out of it. Whuhu!

Oh, and congrats to the new job. ^^

KJO | Member

RoninJedi (Ann Marie)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after a far too long real life induced hiatus (new job, new apartment, engagement, etc) I have FINALLY been able to return to working on this! I recovered some much loved silver gogo boots, replaced the zipper, fashioned and attached some kneepads and voila!

Boots are done, gauntlets are sanded and need to be painted, next step figure out how to work a Serger so I can start seriously rocking the spandex. Oh yeah and workout so I can wear this silly outfit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: