Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ff0156ff574e01caaac1ac2a91101520Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Duchess Satine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my blue gown fabric on eBay. Someone had 8 yards of it for $40. I'm not going to need the full 8 yards, especially since it is 60" wide. I think the seller bought it years ago for a project and then decided to get rid of it...my gain.

It has a nice texture like a brocade. And it appears to be 100% cotton or a blend; it does not have that cheap polyester look and feel. That's the wrong side of the fabric showing in the first pic; the "right" side has a satiny weave. The flowers are small, only about 2" in height.

Voila:

Here are the fabrics I have gathered so far. The green is a taffeta that I picked up from Hancock's; it's part of their "special occasion" line. I had originally wanted to do this part in velvet, but I bought the taffeta instead because the colour is just right....blue-ish green but not quite teal.

And the purple is darker in person than in the pic. I think have some flash issues going on there. Razz

I have not decided what to use for the hair lilies, but I am leaning toward fabric covered buckram with floral stamens.
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice colors. I like the texture of the purple too. Gives more deminsion to the costume when you have a variety of different textures.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see it all come together! Looks like its gunna be great! Very Happy

Cora

Twitter me This!

*Has a weakness for Disney Songs*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made some actual progress last night. Here are the "wings" for the headdress, and the beginning of the earrings. I made the headdress pieces from buckram and thin quilt batting covered with fabric, so they are flexible and about 1/4 inch thick. I plan to sew the bottom corners together(where the brooch will go) and when the rest of the headdress is done I will put it all together.

Earrings still need to be painted, and although they are made of the lightweight sculpey, they are still too heavy to actually hang from my ears. So I will be attaching them to the cap part of the headdress instead.

Anyone else think they look like Mythosaur tusks? Wink
Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolajedi wrote:

Anyone else think they look like Mythosaur tusks? Wink

Well, the crew did say they tried to incorporate patterns and such from the original Mandalorians (if you examine the background costumes there's a repeating pattern that looks like the chest diamond and such...), so maybe it was even done on purpose...
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chest diamond is everywhere, especially in architecture. And I saw a lot of motifs that looked like helmet visors too.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice fabric choices! I LOVE it when you find something "by chance" on eBay that will work perfectly!!

Great start to the headpiece and earrings. Smile
bossrogur ()

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like quite a good plan coming together,cant wait to see the final costume.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well, look who's back after an almost 9 month hiatus.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats a fabulous welcome back...sorry i've bin gone so long.Things to do you know?
Crystal Clover (Meaghan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was soooo waiting for this topic to come up! I've already started working on the earrings. I started with Sculptey but since they were too heavy i switched to Model Magic.
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal Clover wrote:
I was soooo waiting for this topic to come up! I've already started working on the earrings. I started with Sculptey but since they were too heavy i switched to Model Magic.

I have actually been thinking of re-doing mine with Model Magic because they are so heavy. I used Sculpey ultra light, but they are still so heavy that they hurt my ears.
Benae Quee (Kristin Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you made a mold of the current earring and made a resin hollow cast? Or, what about foam carved into the same shape and then painted and coated to look shell like?
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolajedi wrote:
Crystal Clover wrote:

I have actually been thinking of re-doing mine with Model Magic because they are so heavy. I used Sculpey ultra light, but they are still so heavy that they hurt my ears.

You could always try paper clay. It's made from pumice so it's extremely light weight. You can get at most craft stores.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Satine's earrings are actually hanging from her ears, they appear to be hanging from a cord that goes over her head... or so it looks to me. Check a closeup... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: