Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=43b837b717731e9ddcf0fbf78813b7f4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Duchess Satine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satine is definately an approvable RL costume. Now we just need to see the goods Wink Amadalia
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of help to you Smile .
Jaina ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her character design is absolutely spectacular and I wish I could go ahead and do it myself. Sadly, too many other projects on the table and I look absolutely awful as a blonde.

Will keep an eye out on this progress thread as this is fascinating.

Good luck! Amadalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladyghost4459 wrote:
I am sure we will see a number of "Satene's" at CV this year.

Yeah, Anakin and Padme going on double-dates with Obi and Satine.

Wink

In the last episode, Satine had that red-hooded outfit, and there's another costume with pants from the episode where she goes to Concordia and rides a speeder.

On a side note, Dave was asked if the name Satine was influenced by Moulin Rouge, where Ewan McGregor's character's love interest (ironically) is named Satine. He said no, it was a coincidence.

Smile

http://endorbase.org/

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
http://endorbase.org/members.html

Last edited by JedHead (Matt Tolosa) on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jaina ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JedHead wrote:
On a side note, Dave was asked if the name Satine was influenced by Moulin Rouge, where Ewan McGregor's character's love interest (ironically) is named Satine. He said no, it was a coincidence.

Smile
Nothing happens by accident. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaina wrote:
Her character design is absolutely spectacular and I wish I could go ahead and do it myself. Sadly, too many other projects on the table and I look absolutely awful as a blonde.

Good luck! Amadalia

I imagine I would look awful as a blonde myself; I have an olive complexion with dark hair and brows. Rolling Eyes But oh well, I still want to do this and do it accurately.

And I have about a dozen costumes on my list of things I wanted to make this year, but I'm now weeding them out and prioritizing. Trouble is, I'm a seamstress so I am usually too busy with commissions to take time to sew for myself. I have to set realistic goals this year and commit to doing maybe two or three three new costumes including Satine.

JedHead wrote:

In the last episode, Satine had that red-hooded outfit, and there's another costume with pants that I saw at a Q & A with Dave Filoni. Maybe its from a future episode.

I really like the red dress from the last episode. Even on the run she looks elegant and regal. I just wish we had clearer shots of it, but I caught a few. Satine seems to be fond of earrings; she wears them with every outfit. She also has some kind of fancy comb in her hair that is visible when she surrenders.
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolajedi wrote:
Jaina wrote:

Good luck! Amadalia

I imagine I would look awful as a blonde myself; I have an olive complexion with dark hair and brows. Rolling Eyes But oh well, I still want to do this and do it accurately.

And I have about a dozen costumes on my list of things I wanted to make this year, but I'm now weeding them out and prioritizing. Trouble is, I'm a seamstress so I am usually too busy with commissions to take time to sew for myself. I have to set realistic goals this year and commit to doing maybe two or three three new costumes including Satine.

JedHead wrote:

In the last episode, Satine had that red-hooded outfit, and there's another costume with pants that I saw at a Q & A with Dave Filoni. Maybe its from a future episode.

I really like the red dress from the last episode. Even on the run she looks elegant and regal. I just wish we had clearer shots of it, but I caught a few. Satine seems to be fond of earrings; she wears them with every outfit. She also has some kind of fancy comb in her hair that is visible when she surrenders.

Same problem here. Too many projects for others to get to mine. I will have to redouble my efforts to block out some time just for my own stuff.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladyghost4459 wrote:

Same problem here. Too many projects for others to get to mine. I will have to redouble my efforts to block out some time just for my own stuff.

I sew every day and have made a wide variety of costumes, including some of the more elaborate ones....yet when I open my own closet all I see is a handful of Jedi, a Mando, and an Imperial officer. Rolling Eyes

Honestly, I have been sewing full time just to make ends meet, which has left me very little time to persue costuming as a hobby for myself. The good news is I just found a full time job, which means more income and less time chained to the sewing table. Yaay! Money for fabric and time to make things for myself.
Jeslyn (Jessica M)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted on Facebook:

Some advice for anyone making a costume of Satine:

Satine's headpiece should most likely be considered one whole piece (Blue Royal gown) One piece from the circular broach fastening the two sides at the base of her neck, and inclusive of the slight helmet shape top which covers her ears. It's all one connected piece on the model, thus if you think more like a helmet with "wings" down the sides, and that you are anchoring it in the front with that broach, you can see how it might stabilize on your head. Also the side "wings" should be flexible to allow for you head turning. Of course, even if we model it in one piece, I don't know if that means it'll work in one piece as far as physics or costuming goes. You'll have to try it and see what works.

I really love the beautiful work you guys do, I was blown away by the Pre Viszla helmet that showed up for the LFL fan screening. OK, have fun and stay tuned, there's more Clone Wars coming your way.

-Dave

"Sometimes there are things no one can fix." - Padme Episode II

"Sometime soon, you will decide the fate of the rebellion, not your Master." - Juno Eclipse

"Oh Master, I can tell you she's going to be impossible to reprogram." - PROXY
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started working on the headpiece, and I see how it will work out if it is all one piece like that. By attaching the wings/collar piece to the green, fan-like structure at the top of the head and then pinning the bottom to the gown with a brooch, it will allow the wings to be flexible enough to allow head movement.

I am making the wings from buckram, padded with light batting and covered with the gown fabric. They are flexible but have a nice structure and stiffness as well, so I think it will work perfectly.

For the rest of the headpiece, I will make the purple section from reinforced buckram, but the rest I think will need to me more rigid. Probably fabric covered plastic canvas or maybe even sintra for the green fan(it needs to be strong so the wings won't bend it when I turn my head), and lightweight sculpey for the rest.

I have finished gathering fabrics for the gown; I found a nice taffeta in the right green colour and some stretchy purple for the undersleeves and collar.

Pics coming soon!
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladyghost4459 wrote:

Same here! Though, I've started to "infuse" my own projects into some commissions. I just finished up 4 flight suits, 2 of which were for myself & hubby. Now, I'm working on 3 flak vests 2 of which are for myself & hubby. But, usually, it's other people's sewing I always work on.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for Satine! Very nice looking costume.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolajedi wrote:
I just found some fabric online that looks like it would be perfect! It has a similar weight, texture and weave as the vintage jacquard tablecloths, and it's navy blue cotton with florals woven in. I'll probably pick up a few yards and see what I can do with it.

The headpiece is going to be a challenge, but having screen caps of different angles will help. I may start working on that first and save the gown for later.

Comparing the concept art to a capture I took of the back of her dress, it looks like the blue outer robe as depicted on screen has the same petal-shaped pieces that are shown in the drawing. That should be fun to make a pattern for. Wink

I'm really excited about this project; I have always preferred to troop in more action-oriented costumes but Satine will give me a chance to challenge myself in the sewing room and then show off the fruit of my labor at cons. Plus, anyone who knows me from Mandalorian Mercs will attest that I'm both a Jedi fan and a Mando fan...so this really works for me.

And I have come to really like the character, controversial or not. She's interesting and complex, and seems to have a lot of depth to her.

What company did you find this fabric through? I am really having a hard time finding anything but a thin quiting cotton. I really feel this calls for a luxurious fabric with decent texture.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What company did you find this fabric through? I am really having a hard time finding anything but a thin quiting cotton. I really feel this calls for a luxurious fabric with decent texture.[/quote]

I'm using a Royal Blue dupioni silk if that helps. Finding a luxurious Jacquard that didn't look cheap or have an obnoxious pattern proved to be rather difficult. I'm using that because I don't have a lot of money and it's better than letting it sit in my sewing cabinet collecting dust Shocked . I did however find this velvet suede fabric online that has a nice swirl pattern to it. Dupioni might not be RL approved because of the straight visible grain that fabric has. Like I said though, I'm using it because I have it and I think it will work for me.

Here is the velvet suede that I found...

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/Alova-Suede-Cloth/Electric-Blue-Velvet-Suede-Cloth/833/253
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, what do you plan to do for the strange 'lily-like' things in her hair? Smile

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be able to use something like silk flowers or make them from a silky organza type rolled flowers and add silk flowere stamens to the senter...end the flowers in satin ribbons that connect throught he back of the head piece. That's just my take on it so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: