Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=79f94414a76306146fce8a90560d9a77Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Duchess Satine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Mina (Robin Parker)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolajedi wrote:
Very nice! The motifs on the cloak turned out lovely. Are they embroidered or painted?

The Motifs were hand designed by me and were embroidered by another seamstress with metallic gold thread. BTW, I will be writing the standards for this costume after it gets approved.

As I mentioned before, don't be decieved by the design of this costume in the animation. What I had to have Granny do was follow a variety of the Star Wars movie costumes in regards to the sleeves, because in the real world this costume would probably follow those standards and styles.

There is no pleating of the sleeves except at the wrist, which we spent a whole week discussing. There is a slight exaggeration at the top to give the illusion of a "puff" at the shoulder. The comlink is an option along with the Driod deactivitor for this costume. Granny thought the comlink were buttons...LOL

BTW, the color is fire engine red, not burgundy. We thought as you did as it concerns the color. However, I was able to download some great shots from the website which showed that the outfit is red, not burgundy. And then it dawned on us...she's in the shadows in this costume the whole time, which makes it appear of a darker color, but it is red.

Last edited by Master Mina (Robin Parker) on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
I'd also tell you not to feel bad if you have to "add" seams, because even real world costumes sometime "hide" seams...it just has to do with motion and being filmed, etc. So, do what you need to do to get the shape right. Wink

Perfect advice...and that's what we did to get the shape right for the sleeves on this costume.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ladyghost4459"]
Nolajedi wrote:
I would say that in translating animated to real world that seams should be added where necessary to allow for the fabric to hang as it should. Comic books and cartoons give stylized version with fewer actual lines showing than there would be in real world. I say if it needs a seam or even top stitching to make it work right, go for it.

Don't be surprised if the cartoon eventually uses our work to add further realism to the textures of the cartoon.

Exactly!! Which was a very difficult process and procedure for Granny to understand, but she got it after I pounced on her head a few times...LMAO. Laughing
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work on the getaway outfit is great. I have been too busy with Star Wars Weekends to continue any work on my throne room costume, but will be hitting hard it after the conclusion next weekend. I am really looking forward to the girlieness of this costume. After always wearing armor, this will be a welcomed change.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladyghost4459 wrote:
The work on the getaway outfit is great. I have been too busy with Star Wars Weekends to continue any work on my throne room costume, but will be hitting hard it after the conclusion next weekend. I am really looking forward to the girlieness of this costume. After always wearing armor, this will be a welcomed change.

Thanks...Granny has been working on it around the clock and I've been burning a hole in my checking account buying fabric...LOL

I totally understand...This will be my first girly Star Wars outfit too and a warm welcome to get away from my Jedi costume. Very Happy
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here when it comes to first "girly" costume. I'm so used to wearing armor and pointing toy guns at people, being a feminine pacifist is going to be a real change of pace for me! Cool

Of course, Barriss could be considered girly....but not nearly as fussy as the Satine gown will be.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta-dah...oh boy what an ordeal getting into this costume. I thought it would be easier than my Jedi costume, but...NOT (lol). The hardest part? The hair was the hardest part. I had a heck of a time getting it to part down the middle. The bangs, on the other hand, just seem to go to the sides. Looks hokie but that's how the bangs are for Satine. Personally, I wouldn't be caught out in public with these bangs...but I digress...LOL

I need to have Granny hem the dress a bit more so that I can walk without tripping myself. I'm still going through all the pictures to decide which ones to submit for approval, but here are some for blugging to you guys. Mr. Green

The 'kitty' picture is just too cute!!

Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look even better than it did on the dress dummy! Great job on the hair comb...
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! And congratulations on being the first Satine to finish your costume. Smile

I love the kitty pic, btw.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you make the hair comb? Was that a found item you added jewels to, or did you make it from scratch?
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
How did you make the hair comb? Was that a found item you added jewels to, or did you make it from scratch?

Hi Mieal,

The hair comb was hand-crafted from a Victorian/Spanish hair comb maker located in England, which I stumbled upon via eBay. I have his contact info if you're interested in ordering any hair accessories (big selection from his store, but quite pricey). I added the beads after the fact. The only beads I could make out from the screen shots were the three aqua blue stones/rhinestones. The hair piece is lined with some type of red, but I can't make heads or tails of what it is. So I added the red crystal stones instead, for accent. It was the closet that I could come to the actual design via the screen shots.

Last edited by Master Mina (Robin Parker) on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolajedi wrote:
Beautiful! And congratulations on being the first Satine to finish your costume. Smile

I love the kitty pic, btw.

Thanks and that kitty was freaking hilarious the whole time my friend was taking pictures (her kitty). He wanted to be in the photo shoot and wouldn't take no from us. I have some other photos that are funny...he's such a ham for a kitty...LMAO
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, Robin! Watch out for Mando snipers. Wink See you Thursday at SW In Concert.

http://endorbase.org/

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
http://endorbase.org/members.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job! And I agree, you wear it much better than the dummy Wink

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got this finished! It certainly has taken me long enough.

Looking at the pic, I think I need to pull my skirt down a bit, but other than that I'm happy with how it turned out.

And a closeup of the headdress:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: