Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9859414043208e02af0335d6222925a6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Duchess Satine
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Duchess Satine Reply with quote

I have convinced myself to take on this costume, and am wondering if anyone has similar plans. Smile

The first thing that needs to be done is to decide what materials to use, and I'm finding it a bit challenging since an animated costume is more difficult to interpret than it is to replicate a real-world costume.

So for the gown, I'm thinking that the underdress could possibly be a teal-green velvet or velveteen. And for the outer robe...on screen, It appears to be a very subtle, woven-in floral pattern. The floral design is even more apparent here:

So perhaps a navy blue jacquard with small, allover florals?
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering who'd be first. It's a grand costume just begging to be made. Mr. Green

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another blonde for Obi-Wan's collection Laughing

On a serious note, it is a very cool costume and I am looking forward to it being made.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol....definitely need a wig for this one.

I love everything about this costume, and I am going to challenge myself to have it finished in time for Dragon*Con. And it would be great to be the first to finish it!

I 've been watching the latest episodes of TCW over and over on my computer so I can capture as many shots of the costume as possible from different angles, and taking plenty of notes. I even got one of her boot, which is actually a lot more sensible than the little Victorian looking granny shoe in the concept art. I want to make sure the boots are accurate since they play an important role in the story. Wink

Thinking about the headpiece and collar...they can probably be built with buckram and craft foam and covered with fabrics. The medallion on her forehead seems like leather though, just like her belt/waist cincher. Earrings can be made from Model Magic and painted, and it would be great if I could find fake opals for all the jewels.

I need to start making a list of what I'm going to need...
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool! My wife and I were talking about it last week and how it would be a cool project someday. She has to polish up her Throne Room Dress and finish Zam first though Mr. Green
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, Zam. That's an ambitious project!

My trouble is I am always coming up with new ideas for costumes that I want but don't have enough time to make. I have been planning on doing Luminara Unduli for quite a while now, but I have put that project on hold for Satine.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the blue floral part is the same fabric as the headpiece and those both look structured, a pretty tapestry or home dec fabric would be good to look at Smile

Looking forward to seeing what you do with that headdress

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are screencaps of Satine in this thread:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=294563#294563

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nolajedi (Em LeMieux)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found some fabric online that looks like it would be perfect! It has a similar weight, texture and weave as the vintage jacquard tablecloths, and it's navy blue cotton with florals woven in. I'll probably pick up a few yards and see what I can do with it.

The headpiece is going to be a challenge, but having screen caps of different angles will help. I may start working on that first and save the gown for later.

Comparing the concept art to a capture I took of the back of her dress, it looks like the blue outer robe as depicted on screen has the same petal-shaped pieces that are shown in the drawing. That should be fun to make a pattern for. Wink

I'm really excited about this project; I have always preferred to troop in more action-oriented costumes but Satine will give me a chance to challenge myself in the sewing room and then show off the fruit of my labor at cons. Plus, anyone who knows me from Mandalorian Mercs will attest that I'm both a Jedi fan and a Mando fan...so this really works for me.

And I have come to really like the character, controversial or not. She's interesting and complex, and seems to have a lot of depth to her.
RebelPrincess (Katharyn Preston)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*High Five!* This costume is awesome and I'm excited to see so many people interested in it! Here are some screen captures I have been collecting. I hope these help you!

Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolajedi wrote:
I just found some fabric online that looks like it would be perfect! It has a similar weight, texture and weave as the vintage jacquard tablecloths, and it's navy blue cotton with florals woven in. I'll probably pick up a few yards and see what I can do with it.

The headpiece is going to be a challenge, but having screen caps of different angles will help. I may start working on that first and save the gown for later.

Comparing the concept art to a capture I took of the back of her dress, it looks like the blue outer robe as depicted on screen has the same petal-shaped pieces that are shown in the drawing. That should be fun to make a pattern for. Wink

I'm really excited about this project; I have always preferred to troop in more action-oriented costumes but Satine will give me a chance to challenge myself in the sewing room and then show off the fruit of my labor at cons. Plus, anyone who knows me from Mandalorian Mercs will attest that I'm both a Jedi fan and a Mando fan...so this really works for me.

And I have come to really like the character, controversial or not. She's interesting and complex, and seems to have a lot of depth to her.

Su'cuy, ner vod!

I am a fellow Mandalorian Merc, as well. I look forward to seeing your Duchess Satine. When done, I'm sure it will be a nice addition to the MMCC, as well as the RL, here!

Good luck!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great screen catches. I have to give a round of applause for Filoni and crew for adding a new strong female character who is not a shrinking violet. The colors and detail of her costume are beautiful and I am glad to have a new blonde character...bruenette wigs look so awful on me. I am sure we will see a number of "Satene's" at CV this year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those wig pieces almost look like oversized pasta shells! Mr. Green

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they look like small Calla Lilies but obviously longer.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking lilies too since they have what appears to be stamens in the middle. Peace....lilies. That works. I'm not sure what I'll be using to make them, but possibly fabric covered buckram. And I guess the best way to attach them will be to just sew them into my wig.

Those screen captures of the gown are very helpful. I didn't notice before that the overdress has openings in the back; it looks like two on either side. Interesting.

And nice shot of her "weapon" too. That will definitely need to be scratchbuilt.

Aramys Strael wrote:

Su'cuy, ner vod!

I am a fellow Mandalorian Merc, as well. I look forward to seeing your Duchess Satine. When done, I'm sure it will be a nice addition to the MMCC, as well as the RL, here!

Good luck!

- Bill

Su'cuy! Cool (Yeah, I'm a dork. I understand that stuff.)

I'm actually on the approval team over at Mercs, and I seriously doubt that Satine or any of her crew would ever be approvable costumes since they don't wear armor. Even so, it is going to be a *lot* of fun to hang around the fan table for a while at Dragon*Con in this outfit.( If, of course I can talk myself out of spending all weekend in the metal armor that Novall is making for me.) Wink

But seriously, I imagine that Satine will eventually be a costume that will qualify for RL approval.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: