About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ec674e797c66451f899a14fc59e1a562Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Plunk Droid Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom_In_AZ ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Plunk Droid Build Reply with quote

I didn't want to take over the Gonk thread over, so I started this thread.

So I am working on a PLUNK Droid. The legs are too tall, and they need to be adjusted.

Decided to go with green as the color after a bunch of people suggesting it.

I started with black Krylon Fusion paint as a base coat, and now am working on the green. At ACE Hardware they had Satin Hunter Green in the Krylon Fusion paint, so I tried a can, but I think it is too bright but it might be ok if I can add a light coating black over it.

Here is what it looks like today.

Any thoughts?
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the color... but then again, I am partial to that shade of green, anyway.

Looking forward to seeing the end result, here! Looks promisong. Keep it coming.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some more work done.

The Astromech parts are just for scale reference.

Got the three lights on the face running, but I need to solder up some better wires to secure the power connections long term (click here as it is a link to the video).

The joining belt is a PVC water drainage part, not sure what it was exactly called, but it was tucked into a little corner in my local ACE Hardware shop.

In the morning I will be cutting down the screws all around the droid with the dremel. The feet need some minor sanding and wood filling then it will be ready for painting.

After that is done I will start to make the other surface parts with sintra and cutting board material.
Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legs are cut down some more and installed with corrugated shielding, rear two legs have power channel tubes installed. Front emblem is installed.

Needs to be done:
1. Need to put the vertical cups & tubes on the left side-rear.
2. Vertical stripes must be applied.
3. Top emblem must be cut out and installed.
4. Velcro plastic shield over the inside circuit boards.
5. Side white emblem needs to be painted on.
6. Fuel hose, nozzle, and holder must be attached.
7. Hole needs to be drilled for internal power strip power cord to be able to exit.
8. The front legs need to have the power channel tubes installed.
9. Attach center wood parts to the dolly for transport, and paint it black with yellow stripes. Attach velcro to the feet and dolly to help it from falling off while being pushed.
10. Paint the leg tubes black.

Once Phoenix Comic Con 2010 is done I need to rework the feet to make them look more cannon. I have found artwork that gives views of all sides from the Clone Wars. The feet are more diamond shape, and have the same indent and slope on the front and back. The legs still need to be shorter, and wider black corrugated tubing be installed. My only thoughts is that the tubing is going to need to be 5 to 6 inch diameter rubber tubing. I have seen this stuff used for shop vac setups that might work, otherwise it is back to the metal air conditioning vent tubing that I am not very fond of.

Last edited by Tom_In_AZ () on Sat May 22, 2010 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
krohn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what great work!!! It looks awesome!

http://krohnsith.free.fr
Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the great new picture that I found (even though it is small) that is great reference for this project.

Went to Home Depot for supplies this morning which allowed me to start work on the fuel dispenser today. If I am lucky by this evening I should be about ready to attach it, however I need to come up with a way to hold it onto the rear of the droid (I have an idea so far).

The center cross braces on the dolly were screwed down into place using 1/4-20 screws and blind nuts (need another set of screws and nuts, as they are somehow missing from the time I left the store and returned home). Then the dolly was painted black so it will not look so bold while in transport.

Decided on using 1.5 inch red electrical tape for the stripes, it makes things easier since I do need need to deal with someone who does vinyl sing work.

If I can bring it outside today I will attempt to spray the legs in black.

More pics to come later on!
Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel nozzle has been completed, the long tubing is what will go onto it next.
The kitchen light was horrible for the picture, so tomorrow I will take another one out in the sun.

To attach it to the side of the droid I am going to be using a 4 inch bell cleanout plate, but I want to find a rubber washer to go under it so I do not scratch up the droid (time ran out at Home Depot today to look for it).

I did get to take the droid outside to paint the leg tubes some. This is a first coat, but I might just leave it this way, not sure yet.... Otherwise it is a layer of gloss enamel on top of the flat black used.

Hmmm.... The dolly probably should have been a dark gray instead of black, to make it look cooler I can use yellow tape to make angled stripes all around it (or really just paint it a dark gray).
BocrebJedi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job. Where did you get the photo of the Plunk views from?

It looks like my Plunk won't be quite cannon by C V (if done), I'm not making new feet -- it's the hardest part.
Luke_Skywalker (Frank Sommer)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tom_In_AZ,

wow, really nice droid. You did a great job.

MTFBWY

Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BocrebJedi wrote:
Very nice job. Where did you get the photo of the Plunk views from?
I happen to find it online, I wish it came in a much larger version.... None the less it is enough to go on. I took the day off yesterday, but it is Tuesday an the con starts in 2 days, time to get some more work done.

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
@Tom_In_AZ,
wow, really nice droid. You did a great job.
MTFBWY
Thank you Smile
Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving right along.....

Sorry about the crappy light tonight, had a headache so I didn't want to turn up the lights. I did try to help adjust things in photo editing.

I was so not digging the white electrical tape job, so I will need to paint it on. At least it is drawn on in pencil to make that job easier tomorrow.

The three pieces that go on the rear at the top are drying from paint, so I'll snap their pic in the morning after the kid gets on the school bus. At the same time I will hit the bell housing with a quick layer of paint so by the afternoon it can be installed.

I will also draw the top insignia in with a pencil and then mask it off as well unless I can find some good & thick (1/2 inch wide) red electrical tape. At the same time it is probably time to drill in a hole on the inside bottom to pass a power cord through.
Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think this is how it is going to stay for the CON since I do not have a way to hold the fuel hose in place. I am considering gluing on a Patch to cover up that joining spot of the belt. Unless I can get access to someone with an engraver machine and have a small plaque made for it. Maybe someone have another idea...

garbz ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOKS AWESOME!!
Tom_In_AZ ()

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Had it at the first night of Phoenix Comic Con, and it drew a lot of attention. Just what I wanted! Can't wait to see what the rest of the night holds. I will post some pics up as soon as we have all of our props and stuff out on the table.
Commander RK (Rob Keisacker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use for the front lights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: