About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f9e476f23f56c793d914309278a0257dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Trying to Add a Different Type of Orange
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Lekku ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Trying to Add a Different Type of Orange Reply with quote

Hi. Delete this if it's inapproiate for this forum, please.

So, I've been following the 501st Midwest Garrison for a while and it occured to me that while many members play both sides of the fence, it might be more appropriate to bother people over here, given the nature of my project. Not so much begging for specific tips or anything, but to get in contact with local jedi costumers, and get to know the good guys some.

So, um... Hi. I'm Karin, and I'm a Star Wars nerd. I've borrowed excessively from Augie when I've trooped before, but I'm working on making my own decent costumes right now (the emphasis on 'decent' is to imply that my own projects are below par - Augie's are always fantastic). Since I'm really into make-up/prosthetic intensive costumes, and I'm just the right shade of irritatingly enthusiastic side-kick spunkiness, I'm putting together an Ahsoka Tano build.

I'm kind of collecting things as I see them, and so far I have the food capsules, a base boot to dye and build spats around, a green FX saber that will have to serve as placeholder until I can find an accurate hilt that doesn't cost an ungodly amount, a few yards of oxblood/maroonish/whateverIsuckatfancycolornames leather (lambskin and standard) for covering the spats/gauntlets/gloves, a make-up airbrushing kit (proper shades of orange/rust makeup pending), contact with a man who may be casting the headpiece out of dragonskin, a hardshell backpack ready for mods, and lots of ambition. If all goes really well with the guy casting headpieces, I might even be ready to apply by August. Knock on wood.

So, uh... Nice to meet you all/commence forum skulking officially.
*awkward*
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karin...

I am guessing that you have blond hair...
and have worn Kim Webster's Endor Commando costume?

Good to see you here!

Make sure to post your progress...
and questions as they arise...

I am no authority on Ashoka...
but have a few Jedi costumes under my belt...

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the cooler side of the force anyways... Glad to see you over here too.

So are you going with that headpiece I showed you then?
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Phyllis - Yes, you've got it right! I had a blast in the Endor Commando costume at the parade. Thanks for the welcome - I'm sure you know a thing or two about Jedi in general (5 varients - yow!). 'Gratz on the Trooper spotlight over on the 501st boards, by the way.

@James - Hahahaa, I always thought the Jedi were cooler than the Sith, but it was the boys in white (and maybe some bounty hunters) that drew me over to the badguys. I'm talking with the maker of the headpiece, and he's been very patient so far with my questions and demands. I'm going to wait until he posts pics of the piece on someone close to my size before I decide if I want to buy it or not though. Either way it'll be expensive, but as I told him, I'd rather not end up having to spend the money on BOTH options because I got it and the tails were too short proportionally or something (if I'm going to do something like Ahsoka, I want to do it right).

@Beth - Thanks! I'll try to remember my nettiquette (gawd I love buzzwords).

Right now I'm trying to decide between using acrylics and clear-coating the base boots or using that recolor spray stuff to match them to the leather for the spats. Once that's matched, I can draw up patterns for the gauntlets and spats, try them out in cardboard, then reclaim the foam and metal I have at my parents house to construct them.
...And try to find the belt I bought and sculpt the proper buckle for it (or see if there's some online), make her pouch, find the microsuede for the skirt and top, and wait for spring to be done with so my seamstress friend can finish up her 30+ ACen commissions so I can hire her to do the sewing.
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome...Ahsoka would be Awsome!

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Augie Web-star ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karin, I'm glad to see you made it to the Fun side.

Oh Thanks, Phyllis helped me a lot with the Rebel costumes.

Augie
rft
Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

So, this post has been edited for emo-ness. Like, it was whiney enough to put Anakin to shame. That's how superbly emo I can get. I was having a Friday consisting only of bad news. But I had a weekend without a computer and a Star Wars marathon with some friends (who want to look into Slave Leia and TK costumes, and have assumed that I'm some sort of guru of Star Wars nerdiness - I've pointed them to the correct websites, at least), I had time to calm down.

Rusty's meds are going to be expensive still (especially since it seems his inhaler only lasts a handful of days before running out), but I guess that just means I have to actually get over my hesitation, start actually working on the stuff I have and put off the purchasing of parts until I figure out an additional source of income. Poor spoiled little daddy's girl, huh? Rolling Eyes

On the brightest side, I was negotiating with Pam on a large part of a special costume project, and one of her orders was cancelled because the girl ran into some issues, so I'm going to get a large delivery some time in the next week or so.
Augie Web-star ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karin, sorry to hear it.
Well you still have a great Mando costume until you get going on the other ones.
Hang in there. It took me a year to get my Fett all together .

Augie
Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Augie - I've gotten to a point where most of the rest of my spending will be on make-up and building/connecting/painting supplies. The only large purchases I have left is (if I decide to buy instead of build) the Ahsoka headpiece, a Clone Belt and the various connection straps (and possibly a clone gun or rifle, but that's optional at this point), and possibly an accurate hilt for the Ahsoka if I can find a reputable builder.

I found one of my ratty Mando gauntlets and I'm going to try to strip it down and practice converting it to seamless some time this week and make a HUGE mess of my apartment.

But right now I'm in a sort of "ready to go" mode where I wanna set straight to work on the fun stuff. I just need to get over my hesitation about butchering my kit, beg for help from someone experienced, and start working my fingers to the bone on weekends.

I think I can definately clean up my mando if I just focus one piece at a time before April, but I'm definitely wishing to get one of my bigger projects done by convention season.

Oh, and this is a must - does anyone know someone who can work leather? I have pretty much all the leather I need (hopefully) for the Ahsoka gaunts/gloves/spats, but I can't sew leather, and the seams in the artwork kind of limit what cheating I can think of.
Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, it's Karin again. Long story short on why I flaked out this time, is I had 18 credit hours worth of classes this quarter (only 16 of which gave actual credit hours, and all of which involved lots of essays and presentations), as well as my part-time job at the hotel downtown. So, school is winding down (Finals in two weeks), and I FINALLY get some time to myself (even though I still have my job which might up my hours again) to work on costuming. I've decided to get as much done on my Ahsoka (the only Official costume I'm working on) as possible, and I've made some progress.

Looking over how deceptively simple-looking the soft parts are, I'm left to wonder - has anyone seen/heard of a Bob who made an Ahsoka for his daughter? A while ago one of the Midwest Garrison guys gave me his e-mail and some screenshots of a thread he did on the official member boards where he had awesome progress pics of this montrals sculpt he was going to cast for his daughter, as well as mentioning he might do a commercial run. I'm asking because the last I heard of him was from when I had a moment to breathe one or two quarters ago, and I'm curious as to whether or not he's selling the headpieces like he mentioned. If I could buy one instead of trying to figure out molding/casting/materials myself, it could save months of work, and I might have the entire Ahsoka done by mid-July.

On to pic spams, here are some progress shots of the bracers (I tried putting the gloves on together with them, but putting stuff on your arms with only tape is hard without help) - I need opinions/tips if you'd be so kind before I commit and glue/sew them into some nice pricey lambskin.

Tried to get a better shot of the angle the bracers cut to, but it's hard from this angle.

The square tags are going to be trimmed some, they're just there to anchor the snaps/buckles to.

Speaking of buckles, does anyone have close-ups of Ahsoka's buckles/beads for her padawan braid?

I need pointers on the tube-top thing (I'm not quite as slender as others who have done this costume) - so far I'm going to see if my flaky and not-quite creative seamstress can hide elastic/lacing on the top, and I'm going to use about a metric ton of that fashion tape stuff, but that's all I got.

Oh yeah,
I also got into the practice of costume make-up again since Fright Fest's been over for a while.
Here is my equally-flaky-as-I seamstress patiently modeling my attempts (just creme and powder make-up, I couldn't haul the airbrush and compressor out to the 'burbs):

I've got a few fantastic gorey trauma wounds I did to her too, if anyone wants to see how to make a scar out of q-tips. The things you learn from your first jobs...

So yeah. Sorry I ramble so much. Copying-and-pasting this into the MWG boards too, because if I find this Bob guy again, that could save me SO MUCH work, and I'm so very lazy. So very, very lazy.
hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi welcome to the light side, as you are doing a jedi make sure you join our jedi temple

now i understand why you want to learn the reverse grip lightsaber technique
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I believe that was me that gave you that info. I believe he is still making those prosthetics but I think there is someone else making one that might be better sized for an adult, not sure where to find that though.

Theresa over at Central Base is also building an Ashoka, she'd be a good person to talk to regarding the costume.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5429
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashoka is one of those costumes I know absolutely diddly about..

Embarassed

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem with me - I like projects where there seem to be a distinct lack of resources. Rolling Eyes There's really just the Disney Ahsoka as a standard, and indistinct general qualifications - people can spend PAGES talking about straps on Luke's Bespin boots, or the exact width of Corellian Bloodstripes, but no-one can weigh in on how much of an angle Ahsoka's bracers are supposed to cut away to at the elbow....

Yes James, looking back you certainly did give me Bob's info. If you can remember who/where I can find adult ones, I'd love to follow that lead; otherwise I just keep hoping that my small head is small enough for this.
I'll have to drop Theresa a PM and see if we can compare notes.

Yo Hartss. I think I have to have an approved Jedi before I can join the temple for sure, but I will skulk around the forum some. Yup - the only reason I'd ever want to learn reverse-grip swordfighting is so I can do more than just static posing as a specific character. Whoever thought up that style as a legit form of lightsaber dueling needs a stern talking to - it's difficult swinging like that without risking chopping off your own limb. Luckily she started using standard grip some in the series, so I can only hope by Season 3 she'll have broken that particular habit.

No-one has anything to weigh in on the test gauntlets so far? Not even a "Christ those are ugly wtf were you smoking"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: