About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dabfd40aad29f59e0f527bb678334254Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Holster Build (pic heavy)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he wants to know what size hole you used for the stitching?

It looks like you used a thonging/lacing chisel. At least, I see one in a couple of your pics. Which one did you use? I tried using one once, but I didn't like it, partly because it doesn't work well around curves. I'd rather use my smallest punch tip and eyeball the spacing for the stitches.

Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
I think he wants to know what size hole you used for the stitching?

It looks like you used a thonging/lacing chisel. At least, I see one in a couple of your pics. Which one did you use? I tried using one once, but I didn't like it, partly because it doesn't work well around curves. I'd rather use my smallest punch tip and eyeball the spacing for the stitches.

Yes Jedi Loreen is right. I need to know the spacing between the prongs or whatever they are. It is the only tool that I need to get and I can get started!

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh! Sorry about that. It's a "4 prong chisel 3/32 in"
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cool

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
Nice tutorial ... but, when I was checking If I can get "metal pieces" from MP, I got the answer: "Hi, thanks for your inquiry, but I don't sell buckles separately from belts anymore."

So, is there another option?

Thanks for answer!

"Evolution Toys" on Ebay makes a set of buckles/fasteners Wink
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120559046317
[/another option]
hellix2484 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Nice tutorial.

I jsut came from the Chicago Comic Con this week and was dressed as han, and the holster that I used looked somewhat simaler to yours but it did not hold up too well to the 4-6 hours of walking around the convention center.

Has anyone made this holster with a heaver leather?

Does it hold up as well?

I am looking to going with an all metal blaster eventually and the holster I have now barely held up to the resin blaster I have now.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The holster in the tutorial was made with 8oz leather which is about as heavy as it comes. It's held up great with my metal blaster. Where did you get your holster? Is it a Costume Base holster? Those are pleather and won't hold up very well.

EDIT: I just saw your pictures in the other thread and it looks like that is a Costume Base holster. They're ok but if you do want to upgrade to a metal blaster you will have to upgrade your holster as well if you plan on doing a lot of trooping.
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pleather on the new costumebase holster is paper-thin -- the ones they made 2-3yrs ago were much thicker.

I bought one years ago, and heavily modified/strengthened/reinforced it before I used it.

but nowadays I wouldn't even recommend it Sad the belt is the same as before..
but the holster-part is paper-thin. it rips/tears too easily.
Princess Cryvo (Crystal von Oy)
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: inspired... Reply with quote

I wanted to say thank you for such an awesome thread, I was inspired to make a Han Solo for my husband to troop with my Leia. The holster was a daunting task, but I managed to get it done.

What ended up being the most challenging was getting the metal pieces, so I bought some sheet metal from the hardware store, belt blanks from Tandy, figured out measurements, and started cutting.

It may not be perfect, but I am proud of it. I made everything except the blaster, droid caller and "cylinder".

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Looks like you have reason to be proud. I don't suppose you did any progress shots of your buckle making process? or tools used or measurements? Given there doesn't seem to be a good supplier of the buckles right now a short tutorial would be really helpful.
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedimika wrote:
Great job! Looks like you have reason to be proud. I don't suppose you did any progress shots of your buckle making process? or tools used or measurements? Given there doesn't seem to be a good supplier of the buckles right now a short tutorial would be really helpful.

Thanks! I wish I did, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the metal process.

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible" - Walt Disney
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so very much!

A lot of people make a lot of things....
and I am always grateful to those who take the time to make a tutorial...
I have done probably 30 tutorials on different things....so I know that making the tutorial probably added more time to your build. I want to make sure that you know how much I (for one) appreciate your additional time.

bow

I have done a wee bit of leatherworking...but this really covers some of the questions I have had with regard to holsters...

Again...my thanks and my admiration...

Very Happy

Shame about the buckles not being available...
I know years ago I tried to find something to use...

I guess I will have to recommend to the person I am helping that they purchase the Costume Base holster to use the buckles off of it and to use the rest as a template....
or...
is the rest of the Costume Base useable as a template?

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The costume base buckles are a more traditional belt buckle so what I've posted would need quite a bit of modification. I've been meaning to sit down with the CB buckles and see what kind of Han belt I can make with them since that's about all that's out there (until someone posts a good buckle making tutorial) but I haven't gotten around to it. I guess I've been hoping someone else would give it a shot. Maybe your friend can make the attempt for us.
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own belt buckles out of steel, and if I wasn’t so busy I would make them for the RL on the side. My biggest fear about making buckles for the RL is how many I could end up making... and that would totally consume all my time and energy. I never posted a tutorial on it because I always felt that most would never go to that level anyways, not to mention most don't have the welding tools.

Maybe this summer I will make a few and write something up... if I can find the time.

costs for materials for a set of buckles and hardware out of steel is under 20$... which covers all the movies.

So it can be done on the cheap.

Bob
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess one option for people who don't weld (which I am going to guess is most of us) is to take the pieces to a local body shop and ask if they would consider doing it...

most body men know how to weld and body shops are usually plentiful in most areas...and I think most of them have arc welders in addition to oxy/acetelene torches.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: