About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c6f218493b55cc3a394208dbf971a3c3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Holster Build (pic heavy)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stickied per request of Bob

Phoenix 17
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedimika, Did you buy all your leather tools at the same time or what? Also, could you delineate the oz's of leather your used for each piece? I think I got that you used a 2" belt blank, 4oz for the pockets and pouch on the belt and 4oz for the holster? Was it whole sides, half sides, vegi tanned or what type was it called.
Sorry if that is a lot of questions, I just am excited to get this project done and have an awesome belt and not the crappy CB one.

I just need to know so I can order the right amount of each oz size or whatever they call it. LOL

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 oz is really a bit too thin for the holster, especially if you're carrying a heavy blaster. You should use something around 8 oz. I never use less than 6-7 oz for holster that I make, though I've never made a Han holster.

4 oz is good for the pockets and pouches on the belt because it's easy to form bends and creases in it and easy to sew through, and those pockets and pouches aren't carrying large, heavy items in them.

It looks like you need minimal tools for this project.

I recommend a mini punch set:

I have this, and the maxi set, as well as a rotary punch. Do NOT get the Economy, or Deluxe rotary punch, they are crap, my friends have bought these and they don't hold up at all. I have the Craft Tool Pro, but you probably don't want to spend that much and I got mine at a really good sale price.

You'll need a mallet (do not use a regular hammer, it damages the ends of your punches and setters) for the punches, and for setting rivets and snaps. I have this one:

If you think you might be doing more leather work than this project, I recommend this setting kit. You can use it to set rivets and various types and sizes of snaps:

Or, you can just get the particular setting tool and anvil that you need for the rivet or snap type/size that you plan to use.

For supplies, it looks like you'll need some stitching needles, thread, a pack of rivets, dye, finish (I like Satin Shene), and it looks like several 10 packs of Line 24 nickel plated snaps. I also recommend some type of glue, a little bit goes a long way. I've been using the same 4oz bottle of Leather Weld for 6 years and dozens of projects.

You'll also need something to punch holes for the stitching. I bought one of these:

but I didn't have good luck using it, and I was kind of dangerous with it, so now, I just use the smallest punch in my mini punch set.

I also use a stitching pony to hold my work, because I use 2 needles, one in each hand, simultaneously when I stitch my leather, but you can get away without one.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask as many questions as you need. I'm excited to see what you come up with Smile

The leather tools were just aquired over time. At first I borrowed a lot working on my projects at the leather store and as I advanced and started doing more stuff without supervision at home I got my own tools.

You have all the leather weights right except I used 8oz leather for the holster and looking back I didn't include that. Sorry. I DID use 4oz leather for the practice/pilot holster I made. The 8oz will just hold it's shape better especially if you have a heavy blaster like I do.

It was all vegi tan leather. I always just get whole sides because I know I'll use it on something eventually. A half side of 4oz and a half side of 8oz should be plenty for you.

Remember to take lots of pictures for us!
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I went with an 8 or 9 oz with the majority of the holster on mine... and a 4-6 on the pockets. All three of my blasters are denix blaster based and are extreamly heavy.

Great stuff on this thread.

Thanks for the sticky Steve.

Bob
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lori for the info and extra pics to show me. I appreciate it. Now it doesn't seem quite as daunting.

Thanks a lot to you too Jedimika for the templates you sent me.

This is a great source of info for this build. I really can't wait to get started on it. I just need to either make the trip to Richmond and get the leather and supplies or get it online.

Cool

Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question:

what's the lenght of the leg strap? Does it have be loose fit or cut your leg bloodflow? Laughing
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The length of the strap just depends on the size of your leg. Just cut a long piece, see how it fits, cut off the excess and set your snaps. Most photos I've seen show the leg strap snug (with no gaps between the strap and leg) but not tight.
Hollis DZC ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, great job!! I've been debating making a Han holster and now you've shown us all the pathway to doing so!! Right on!
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Solo wrote:
I've got a question:

what's the lenght of the leg strap? Does it have be loose fit or cut your leg bloodflow? Laughing

Yes, you must cut off all blood flow.

NOT! I almost have all my stuff to start this build! I am so excited. I will post progress thread as I go along.

Charter Committee
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMika, what size is the thread hole puncher you used?

Charter Committee
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tutorial ... but, when I was checking If I can get "metal pieces" from MP, I got the answer: "Hi, thanks for your inquiry, but I don't sell buckles separately from belts anymore."

So, is there another option?

Thanks for answer!
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
Nice tutorial ... but, when I was checking If I can get "metal pieces" from MP, I got the answer: "Hi, thanks for your inquiry, but I don't sell buckles separately from belts anymore."

Thanks for answer!

Wow, Really? Did you send him an email. I guess I got mine in the nick of time then. I don't know of any other supplier.

Charter Committee
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkos Khann wrote:
Blair wrote:

Thanks for answer!

Wow, Really? Did you send him an email. I guess I got mine in the nick of time then. I don't know of any other supplier.

Yes, it was through email ...
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame to hear that about the buckles. I wonder if the Costume Base buckles could be scavenged. They're a little small but they're sturdy. They have a different way of fastening but I'm sure someone could figure out a way to make it work.

Nikkos Khann wrote:
JediMika, what size is the thread hole puncher you used?

I have a mini punch set as Lori has pictured above. Very handy. The tips change out very easy. For most things like snaps and rivets I need a #2 tip. If there's any doubt just punch a hole in a scrap piece of leather and check the fit with whatever you're needing the hole for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: