About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=872b44af9e4e9b450fbbf5fd7a601f60Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo costume and DL-44 collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Han Solo costume and DL-44 collection Reply with quote

Hopefully this is the right forum for this. Please bear with me if it's not, as I'm relatively new here. Thought I would put up pics of my first costume--Han Solo from ESB--and my DL-44 collection. Forgive the combat boots in the first photo--my actual boots hadn't arrived yet, but I did have them in later photos, as you'll see.

Next is my DL-44 collection. My first DL-44 was simply a custom paint job on the Hasbro "Episode 1 Tattooine Mauser Blaster." Here's a stock before photo:

And my custom paint:

My second DL-44 I built from an airsoft mauser and a resin kit I bought years ago on ebay. The original assembly of this is the one in the costume above. Yes, it is a RotJ version, not the ESB version.

My first effort at assembly (seen in the photos above):

I have since acquired an excellent ESB version from a company called Unique Canes. Alas, the first time I wore the ESB version (heavy sucker!) it snapped one of the clips on my gun belt (which I have since repaired with Mighty Putty--hopefully it won't be too noticeable once I paint the dried putty silver). I eventually want to get a plastic airsoft ESB blaster for wearing with the costume.

I have just completed "tweaking" the RotJ version. I cut down the barrel, which was far too long, did some touchup work on the flash hider, and repainted the grips brown, as I really didn't like the black. Here is my metal, purchased ESB blaster side-by-side with the plastic RotJ version I built:

I am toying with the idea of putting a sound card and LED into the RotJ one, but haven't yet gotten up the guts to try that--I'm not an electronics whiz and am concerned about ruining my blaster.

Comments?

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Work SUPER COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool collection of blasters. Though I always thought the RoTJ version was ugly, I wondered what they were thinking when designing it.

I've never seen that Tatooine blaster. Now I want one. Razz

Putting light and sound in a blaster like these is not for the novice, or faint of heart. You have to cram the sound board and speaker in the mag well, and batteries in the grip.

I did just an LED in my DL-44.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! And yeah, the ESB version is def. my favorite.

I actually read something somewhere where a guy put the batteries in the mag. I was thinking of looking into that, but sadly I can't find the site anymore. Also saw a guy online who used the sound cards from the little keychain blasters hooked up to better speakers, to save space. Again, not an electronics whiz so I'm not sure how viable either of those are, but options...

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key chain blasters with sound? I've never seen one of those before.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are hard to come by now, I think. They were a gimmick that came out around the time of Ep. I or II.

[EDIT]sorry, it's not actually a keychain, just a very small blaster. here's the site:

http://www.valhallaarms.com/technology/sound_fx.htm

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting......

I missed those when they were out. Confused

Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DL-44 ESB Blaster FTW!!! Laughing
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Unfortunately, the damn thing was too heavy for my gun belt and one of the holster clips snapped the first time I wore it with the metal ESB replica. I've fixed it with Mighty Putty until I can afford a new one, but I may need to build a lighter plastic ESB one for the time being.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good nerf herder
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking the blasters very much.

Phoenix 17
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I have a scheme to build a sweet-looking custom one (if it comes out), but we'll see...

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: