About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=da50a40bb7d236d9c1337616b340e7a3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

MEB Meeting notes January 9th, 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: MEB Meeting notes January 9th, 2010 Reply with quote

I've composed the notes in chronological order according to event, so not everything was discussed in the following order.

Fiesta Bowl Parade 2010

We survived! Yay!

We could really use a float to let people ride and not die from marching, but I forgot to bring it up at the meeting proper, so most of the discussion regarding a float idea happened either at or after dinner.

Mike came up with the idea of building a float to resemble the celebration scene at the end of "A New Hope." The steps would have a grate so the driver of the float can see, and we'd have Han, Luke, Leia, Rebel Pilots, and Rebel Fleet Troopers on the float. Tristan suggested that anyone not on the float should walk in front, so that way anyone who can't keep up with the float either needs to get on the float or fall out of the parade, and Wayne brought up the idea of the chase vehicle, like a golf cart or something, to help pick up anyone who can't keep up or needs a ride for some reason.

Members Only Forum

We have the option to have a private Members Only forum added to our base. The purpose of the Member's Only forum would be for posting merchandise sale threads so that only Rebel Legion members who are eligible to purchase RL merchandise will have access,"in progress" project type threads that we're not ready to show everyone, and private contact numbers/addresses. All General Dissusion topics and Events will remain in the public forum, and information will be cross posted to the DSG and Mercs to make sure everyone is kept in the loop.

No opposition to the creation of the Members Only forum recorded.

Prep Rally for East Mesa Relay for Life - January 28th, 2010

It's a Thursday night at 7:00pm at the MCC Red Mountain Campus. The purpose is to build up morale for the team captains and teams participating in the Relay for Life. Its not necessary to attend, but fun times to be had if you do.

UAT Star Wars event cancelled

Shed a tear. The club will be gone for this semester. Hopefully the Force will be with them next semester.

Cub Scout Dinner - Tucson - February 20th, 2010

This is an official event, formal costumes only please.

MEB goes to Yuma! - February 27th, 2010

We are going to visit the dunes where parts of Return of the Jedi and take pictures in costume. Smile I suggested we go the last weekend in February. We can't wait too long or else it'll start to get hot out there

Begin Anew - March 20th, 2010 6:00am-1:00pm

It was brought up that the website looks a bit odd, with maybe more a political bent than charity. Also the same day as Jay and Lisa's wedding. We may end up canceling our appearance.

Star Wars Mania! - March 27th, 2010

At the Phoenix Symphony 1:00pm-2:30pm. They may extend the concert to multiple days. Joel will keep us updated. If we have permission, we should take our banner.

Relay for Life East Mesa - April 17th, 2010

This is one of our biggest charity events. Please sign up for the team and plan to do laps. We lapsed on keeping up the "relay" part of the event last year, so let's do better this time. Also, we experienced an unusually cold night last year and were quite miserable after the sun went down, so be sure to bring warm clothes in case it gets cold again.

We don't have pre-fund-raising events on the calendar yet, but it worked out well last year so I encourage people to let family and friends know we're collecting money for charity, and to participate in fund-raising events if possible.

Costco - Tucson - May ?, 2010

We don't have a date yet, but those who participated last year are very enthusiastic about doing it again, so once we have a date/invite, I'll post more details.

FWHS Grad Night - Tucson - May 19th, 2010

This is a Wednesday night. They are doing a "Super-Hero" theme so not just Star Wars costumes are needed.

Phoenix Comicon - May 28th-30th, 2010

We need to get in our panels/events before April 15th.

So far, we have 7 people officially signed up for table duty. I would really like to have 2 people per table shift to make sure that we have adequate coverage.

We may end up holding off on the Jedi show for this year because we don't know if we'll have the space for it, and we'll need to replace just about all the actors to make sure they aren't committed to two things at the convention at the same time. One idea that did come up was to have Vader duel Obi-Wan Kenobi, but if we don't know the space for the show, it makes it really hard to choreography.

For panels, the suggestion was made to focus a panel on one particular costume and describe all the pieces, parts, etc. For example, a Jedi panel could show the diversity of Jedi costuming (Old and New Republic Jedis). A Rebel Pilot panel could start with a person in their orange flight suit and then get into costume as the panel moderator explains all the pieces, where they may have come from or what they may have been made out of. A Tusken Raider panel would be good for explaining cross-over costumes, i.e. costumes that allow for membership in the Rebel Legion and the 501st.

A variant idea on the Droid Hunt is the Smuggler's Run, where kids are given a "data chip" that they have to smuggle past the 501st to get to the Rebel Legion table, and if they are successful, they get Smuggler's Certificate (aka a shiny piece of paper) as a reward.

Wayne of the DSG mentioned he is willing to let people store stuff and park for free at his place because he's close to the lightrail and its an easy ride to the convention center.

Heidi is planning a Rebel Legion Breakfast Saturday morning of the convention. Two options are the Hyatt ($18 breakfast buffet) and 1st Watch (options $7-$Cool. Come dressed in RL costume for group photo afterward. If a Star Wars celebrity is brought out to the Phoenix Comicon, we should invite them.

In regards to merchandise, the suggestion was to start work now in order to have it before or distribute at the convention. Work will start as soon as I send Mike my wish list and he tells me no. Wink

Grand Canyon photo shoot - later part of June 2010/July 4th weekend?

Will of Flagstaff brought up the idea of doing a photo shoot at the Grand Canyon. It's a $175 permit for one day, and we get to choose one of two spots. The park will close the area down as much as possible, with an armed park ranger to keep the public back. Guns and lightsabers are okay, and the photo shoot is for everyone (501st, RL, Mercs, etc). Access to the park is not covered by the permit, but the fee is per vehicle, so we'll pile as many people as we can into as few vehicles as possible.

The idea is to go either the later part of June on a Saturday, or to go on the 4th of July after we do the parade in Flagstaff on the 3rd.

4th of July Parade - Flagstaff - July 3rd, 2010?

The 4th of July Parade in Flagstaff may actually be on Saturday, July 3rd, 2010. The reports of this parade say its a fun one, though the end is uphill so fairly warned be ye. Also, there is usually a BBQ afterwards.

Celebration V - Orlando, FL - August 12th-15th, 2010

Celebration V is celebrating the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back. A great way to meet other members of the Rebel Legion.

Climb for Cancer - Flagstaff - second weekend of August? (so 14th?)

Uphill walk for cancer. There is no shame in taking the bus to the top and posing for pictures with people.

Changes in Base Command

Lord Parsec (Joel Cranson) made the difficult decision to step down as Commanding Officer. He's not leaving us; he's going to continue participating with the MEB as a member. In his place, Lady Jedi Carenix (Carol Duckworth) was promoted to CO, who asked Mnlymn (Mike Little) to serve as the Executive Officer, to which he agreed.

Open forum items

New people! Yay! Old members! Yay! We had a most impressive attendance of MEB, DSG, Merc, R2 Builder, and new members. Thanks everyone for coming, and HUGE thanks to our hosts Tristan and Michelle for having us over and feeding us. Smile

The idea of a sports event with the DSG/MEB/Mercs/R2 Builders was suggested, either a softball game or bowling

"Fans of Ninja Warrior" competition - sometime in March

A few of us are working out to get in better shape and for fun we're going out to a park to recreate some challenges similar to those seen on the show, "Ninja Warrior." We'll be practicing before March, and anyone who wants to participate can feel free to contact Sand Dancer (Brenda) or Lady Jedi Carenix (Carol) for more details.

Laser Tag Fun Night/Fundraiser - sometime in March

Tristan made the suggestion to have a Tuesday night at Stratum Laser Tag (1455 S. Stapley Dr., Mesa, AZ 85204) to raise money for the Relay for Life.

1) Sell tickets ($20 each) to costumers to get deposit money of $595
2) All tickets sold after 30 = charity donation to Relay for Life

No one is required to buy a ticket, and no one is required to sell any tickets. This would be open to everyone and their dog (though I don't think the Lazer Tag place will allow us to bring dogs). The worst case scenario is we have a private night of Laser Tag to shoot at each other (if people are crazy enough to do it, they could get in 11-12 games in the time the place is open, which makes it less than $2 a game). We can sell tickets the night of, but the best fundraising is done before we get there.

I put up a poll to gage the interest of MEB/forum members. If we have enough people who want to play Lazer Tag, great. If not, we'll table the idea for another time.

If I'm missing anything from the meeting, feel free to post. Smile

"Curiosity has gotten me into trouble all my life." -Aischros, Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

*Cricket, Cricket*
SpaceWolf (Jay Zarecki)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only missing the dowager queen deal and the possible commanders detachment.

Smile

and the adding on of major face characters. and, as I will call it, "the Wookie Accord" so we now know what jack needs in a parade or convention. ver important for the safety of US!

Very Happy
TOON_ARC_TROOPER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow guys it looks like you have your plate full so fare this year cant wait to join in the fun Very Happy

kirk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: