About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c2d0e717e50a2791e15382783b212cf5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leather advice for Han Belt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Leather advice for Han Belt Reply with quote

Hey all, I would like to have some input on the sizes and and thickness for the leather for the belt and holster. I know the belt I can use the belt blanks for whatever size. The holster however is different. Do you use a sheet of leather? And how thick is it?

I have the MP buckles on the way and am going to put it together myself.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't called sheets. Usually they are called by parts, like single shoulders, double shoulders, sides, bellies...

I don't know if a single shoulder would be long enough for the top part of the holster where it connects to the belt, which needs to be a single piece, hard to tell without actually looking at the leather yourself.

Leather thickness goes buy weight, I'd recommend 8-9 oz for the holster, though if you're going to make the belt pocket/pouches too, that's probably too thick, maybe you can find a scrap of thinner leather for those. They have remanant bags

Do you have templates/patterns for the holster parts? Do you have a Tandy Leather anywhere near you? The best way to determine what size piece of leather you'll need it to go with your patterns and look at their leather, have them unroll some pieces for you to look at and check the size. Then you can also check to see what kind of blemishes the leather has. If you have to order online, err on the side of excess, because you can't see the shape they will pick out for you. You are also at their mercy as to whether there are a lot of blemishes (barbed wire cuts and such) that's on the leather.

Talking to the people in the store will help you out, they can suggest what leather to get, and get you set up with the basic tools and liquids (glue, dye, finish) you'll need and maybe suggest some books, I'd suggest one on Stitching.

Leather work isn't "rocket science", but it does take a little practice and a little studying to make it look nice.

Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I don't have a pattern, unless I use my Costume base for a template, which is what I was planning on doing. Is there a pattern and is so how can I get it?

I do have a Tandy Leather store in Richmond about an hour away.

Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the actual holster part, I would suggest picking up a pack of holster templates at Tandy's, it should have a step-by-step guide of how to draw your template for your gun.
I don't remember exactly how to do it off-hand. You may even be able to run a google search for holster templates and find a walkthrough.
For the belt portion of the holster, I would just look at your costume base and figure out how you want to connect it to your buckles.
Good luck!
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds think alike. I'm working on my Han rig right now. I just finished up the belt this last weekend and have just started the holster. I used a costume base holster as a starting point for a pattern as well since it seems to fit me and the blaster pretty well once you make a place for the scope. I used a lot of online reference pics and some of my own leather working skills. I've been taking photos of the process and plan to put up a build thread once I'm done and if it passes the judges' inspection.
Random thoughts...
-I agree with 8 oz leather for the holster and 4 oz leather for the pouches. I'm using the MP buckles as well.
-Did you get an Elvis Trooper disk? I did and it looks great.
-I started with the belt because I figured it would be easier to start at the top and work down. Plus I think the belt is a little more labor intensive.
-If this is your first leather project it's pretty ambitious but you should be fine with some help (can't say enough good things about my local Tandy Leather). I thought it would be a lot tougher but it hasn't been as bad as I thought.
Feel free to PM me with any questions and good luck! Wish me good luck as well!
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those making their own holsters, which is a great idea please be sure to have the cap on the end of your holster if you are going to be submitting your costume for a formal Fringe character.

I wish all the best in your adventure. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Phoenix 17
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say the cap at the end, can that be sewn shut and molded around the blaster or does it have to be in the round shape?

Charter Committee
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning to do a formal costume there needs to be a cap. The shape is not specific. As far as the end of the holster being sewn shut and molded around the end of the blaster would be informal.

Phoenix 17
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great photo for sizing and spaceing the pieces on the belt.

Charter Committee
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lori on the 8-9 oz leather.... and also with the pockets being a thinner oz. I would be carefull with the kinds of hides you use though... dye will effect different hides types diferently. So make sure its of the same grade, just different oz.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most holster patterns show how to cap the holster, which is another good reason to pick one up.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got the Buckles today and they look great and are very sturdy. I am excited to see how they will be with the leather. Finally a prop I wont have to repair after every troop. Now I just have to get the leather.

Charter Committee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: