Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9f81de3d1bcc9aa948003657edf3e718Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Saber Forge Warning
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veton-Ni ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Saber Forge Warning Reply with quote

Just thought that I would alert my fellow Jedi as to the horrendous service I received when ordering a custom Lightsaber from Saber Forge Custom Lightsabers. I suppose I should have known better than to order off of Ebay, but hey, I’m a newbie. This seller has feeble communication skills, was horrible to get to answer questions and only gave one sentence replies, refused to even sign his name, my order was incorrect when it was sent to me, I was told to send it back at my expense (with the promise of reimbursement and a display hilt for my trouble), I waited three weeks for the correct saber to be sent then asked for confirmation, I did not receive any communication from the seller so tried again twice more, still got no reply so filed a complaint with Pay Pal and was told that too much time had passed to get my money back (even though they tell you right on their page to attempt to contact the seller first and give some time to sort it out, which I DID). Not happy about the situation I called VISA who were extremely helpful regarding the situation and THEY finally got my money back (except the $30 it cost to ship it back to him). Seeing as this was only my second purchase on Ebay I was unaware as to the complaint policies and didn’t know to check the feedback from other customers. I don’t know that I will use Ebay again they were so unhelpful as was Pay Pal. Anyway, many other Saber Forge Customers had similar complaints so I though I would post here to let people know to be very weary of ordering from this company/person.
Jedi Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another thread on this site somewere saying the same thing i think it would be wise to give this company a miss when ordering custome sabers.....

As for Ebay i have never had a problem with the ppl i have brought from an di have been an active member for over 3 years so my faith in the company is strong, but i have heard of others having trouble, it's all down to the seller always check the feedback.....
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Pete wrote:
There is another thread on this site somewere saying the same thing i think it would be wise to give this company a miss when ordering custome sabers.....

As for Ebay i have never had a problem with the ppl i have brought from an di have been an active member for over 3 years so my faith in the company is strong, but i have heard of others having trouble, it's all down to the seller always check the feedback.....

same here sir i have never had an issue with a seller that has had a good reputation on ebay.
Ari C'rona (Lisa Samson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hendel D'bu and I had similar trouble with Saber Forge. She's the one who posted the other thread here on RL. I also found a thread on The Custom Saber Shop about his business recently.

As he's a member of the RL, I'm shocked he hasn't worked to improve his reputation. We never did get our issues resolved and have since had a friend rewire our hilts to make them usable. We love our hilts, just the electronics and the customer service have been sorely lacking.

I'm so sorry you experienced what we did - I'm so glad you were able to get a refund!

Here's the history of our dealings with him:

http://hendeldbu.blogspot.com/2009/08/our-history-with-saber-forge.html

~Ari
Hendel D'bu ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry that this keeps happening to those new to costuming. I know how thrilling it can be to actually decide to purchase a higher ticket item such as a saber, only to have it be a horrible experience. :-(

Thanks, Ari, for posting our History with Saber Forge. I advise all to skip it and go directly to Custom Saber Shop. While I have not ordered an actual saber from this company, I have ordered switches. Excellent customer service and fast, too. There are forums to read and learn from, but beware: post not before reading everything. Those guys are the real deal and don't care much for repetitive questions.

As far as our sabers go, I am extremely pleased with the re-wiring our dear friend has accomplished for us. He even added a small interior switch to our soundboard, which is wonderful. After spending $55 extra for the soundboard, it only caused problems (extreme power drain resulting in only about 5 - 20 minutes of power...not good.) We were going to just rip them out, and I'm so pleased to be able to keep them intact. The soundboard is really just a gee-whiz feature, and now I'm glad we can keep them, but not have the power issues.

Our friend had some feedback about the wiring inside the Saber Forge hilts, as well:

"It was the worst solder job I have ever seen. And, didn't this guy know anything about shrink wrap?"

Anyway, I don't want to speak too badly about Saber Forge, and our fellow RLer Phil, but I'm just sick that someone else got burned.

~hendel
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried talking with his base to see if anyone is aware of what's going on or has any contact with him?
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Dantooine Base CO
Dantooine Base CO

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over at fx-sabers we've had several people complain lately as well about the service he's provided. My only dealing with him was a run he did for the forum and minus a couple small issues from a rushed run (some metal shaving, unpolished, greasy) it went fine and came in on schedule. Mine had electronics as well that were fine. So not sure what the story has been over the last few months. I know he hasn't come forward to us either of what the deal is.
Veton-Ni ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. If this guy says that you were the only people with a problem then he's not checking his own feedback (I WISH I had known to do that before I ordered anything from him). I don't care what kind of business you run, not communicating with a customer when there is a problem and then promising to do something about it, leaving them hanging for more than a month (and yes, I had trooping to do!), and then not even sending back what they payed for is POOR SERVICE!

Gosh I hope no one else has this happen to them. Not the kind of person I picture upholding the Jedi code of chivalry.

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was an active forum poster here too for a while but people seem to run rather then stop and fix problems.
nebelwerfer ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam8114 wrote:
Has anyone tried talking with his base to see if anyone is aware of what's going on or has any contact with him?

He doesn't really do many costuming events in the community. I only see him at conventions in his seller booth. Also, his business is between him and his customers, and it's not Endor Base's responsibility to monitor his private business endeavors.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nebelwerfer wrote:
His business is between him and his customers, and it's not Endor Base's responsibility to monitor his private business endeavors.

Yes, Tom. ONE person's actions should NOT reflect on the rest of the club/group. Unfortunately, sometimes, it does.

http://endorbase.org/

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
http://endorbase.org/members.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
G-edi (greg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had NO dealings with this seller, & therefore will not be passing judgement.

I would like to make a comment about E(vil)-bay & PPal though. I'm in Australia, & have made many (many!) purchases on the 'bay'. I have almost exclusively used PP, except where the seller has requested other forms of payment. I am yet to have any major hassles with sellers that the folk at E-bay have not been able to assist me with.
The problem lies in folk not knowing the system. As our poster 'Veton-Ni' states "...I was unaware as to the complaint policies and didn’t know to check the feedback from other customers." Unfortunately this happens a lot.
Anytime that I've had to organise a refund, PP has seen it done. Whenever I've had an issue (& in truth they have been few), Ebay has assisted. It can take time to do these things though. And if you miss the cut-off times for lodgment of a complaint, then unfortunately, you really are too late.
Buying & selling on Ebay requires you to agree to a contract of sale/purchase. The old addage of 'buyer beware' is more suited to Ebay than any other market that I use, that's for sure! It sucks that it happens to new folk more often than others, but it does happen, I don't deny that. The excitement of a new hobby can blind folk to the warning signs. That's what forums like this one are best used for! Don't just check the sellers ebay feedback, chat to the wise folk here (or where ever it's most relevant) & see what they think & who has had any experience with the seller, or if it's really a good buy for that matter.

In my opinion, I follow these rules for every auction:-
ALWAYS check the feedback!
ALWAYS get a confirmation email for the postage BEFORE bidding! (That one can be a big issue, especially for international purchases!!)

Well, that's my 2 creds. I'm terribly sorry to hear that it's happened to another newcomer, but please don't let it dampen your enthusiasm for who we are & what we do. There are some legitimate sellers out there on E(vil)-bay, with the chance of some great buys!!

G-edi out

Amanita ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame about this whole business with Saberforge- I was going to get him to do a saber for my Shaak Ti costume, now I don't know where I will go. And his prices were very good too, which is important to a lot of people.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's often unfortunate, but you usually get what you pay for.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that stinks... wish I knew this in Nov. I am trying to get a refund from him for a 200.00 deposit on a Luminara lightsaber any suggestions....?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: