About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=051ceac0893b4a7170202939ae35a423Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Starting my Clone Wars Ani
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostSkywalker (Christopher Blair)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did got back over screen caps, which are posted in my progress thread, The curve was actually more shallow than the figures, statuettes, and the pre-visualization sketches had them at, so it actually was a good idea to go back and bring them in. My only worry now is the coat for Hoyt not extending past the knees enough since there was a good three or four inches lost to bring the points in.

Speaking of the standards, they never specify flat bottom or pointed, only that the sides cannot be split open like tabards.
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostSkywalker wrote:

Speaking of the standards, they never specify flat bottom or pointed, only that the sides cannot be split open like tabards.

Thats probably because very few of us ever thought of doing it that way honestly. but i agree from the screen caps the curve is more like it is now.

also Dorkvader is working on pair of pouches for me and they should be done soon as well .0will post once i have the completed pics.
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here they are and i think they look amazing! let me know what you think. Eugene did an Awesome job.

Let me know what you guys think so far.
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of his too, and they are uber nice. He does an outstanding job on them.
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree Neil!
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay it has been a while since i updated this so here is the finished product i have another sur-coat in the works as well but this one will serve it purpose me thinks. let me have your thoughts please.

Aurabesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

I would not wear the obi however. It really does not go with this specific costume, and no one has been able to tell if Anakin really does wear one in TCW.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but your shoulder bells seem to be a bit low. The top curve of them need to be at the top of your shoulders. I have the same prob with mine, and usually have to have someone put them on, to make sure they are sitting high enough.

Did you add the scar? I can't see it in your pics, and remember it's upside down from the scar in ROTS.

But otherwise it's looking good Hoyt.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Anakin does have a Obi on under his belt in TCW, a number of people have verified the multiple layers, and it look awkward and harder to cover a waist seam without it.

And glad that costume showed up to you as fast as I thought, Hoyt, looks really good on ya. I'll probably start work on the new coat after this flu stops kicking my rear.

And yeah, Neil, he's got the RotS scar on, I can see it in the photos. Hoyt, you're gonn'a wann'a switch it around so short is on top, long is on bottom, and put it at about an angle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own I guess on the obi. I'm not at all a fan of having it on this costume, and I don't have a waist seam on my sur-coat. And since the standards don't even mention the obi, so I'll be skipping it on mine.

But all-in-all it does look good.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think what makes his look odd is because the back is more spread out than the front of the obi is, which looks just about right for the outfit. I did his coat as a double layer so that there were no visible seams or hem lines, so the Obi is more needed with that style of making the coat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostSkywalker wrote:
Yeah, I think what makes his look odd is because the back is more spread out than the front of the obi is, which looks just about right for the outfit. I did his coat as a double layer so that there were no visible seams or hem lines, so the Obi is more needed with that style of making the coat.

Yeah, looking at it again I agree that I think it's the back that is throwing the look off. I also did some research. and have found a bunch of pics showing Anakin with the obi (not sure how I missed that). I'll try wearing it with my AOTC obi, and see how it looks. I may still decide to skip it entirely, but thanks for the heads up on it.

And btw what kind of fabric did you use for the inner tunic?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obi in TCW is actually the same color as the belt, that's why a lot of people miss it at first.

And Hoyt sent me ponte roma for the inner tunic, REALLY nice and soft stuff. Downside is that it's usually $12 a yard, but it's really awesome stuff for this costume. He managed to find it online for like...5 or 6 bucks a yard, so there was so much left over I have enough to make a second inner tunic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used the extra yet?

If not could I get you to re-make mine? I like the one I have, but would rather have more of a skin tight look.

No worries if not but LMK.
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the reson my obi looks a lil off in the back is because the velcro attaching it in the back runs vertical i have a another one i can use that will probably looks better. i just used the one from my Rots cause it looked better to me. thanks for the comments guys.
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Clone Wars gear... obviously not Anakin, since I'm a girl.... and for the obi I used a cheap woman's "faux leather" belt and cut off the buckle.

[Edit for clarification: it's the thin faux leather that goes through the buckle like a sash....it doesn't have holes for the buckle.]

The obi/belt is wider than my utility belt, it's flat so it doesn't bunch up and ruin the lines of the costume as a "regular" obi would, and by using the heavy-duty stick-on velcro I can cinch up the thing pretty tight before putting on my utility belt. (Mine has a slight curve/sweep in it, rather than being straight, to help it fit my shape better.... but again, that's b/c I'm a girl. Wink)

I found the belt at one of those women's bridal/pageant/prom dress places. (I know, it's weird going in there....) You might even find something at WalMart.

Anyway, perhaps this idea can be adapted for your needs. Smile

Here's what it looks like:

If you squint, you can see the "obi" behind my utility belt. (I really need to put a glow on that saber.... Rolling Eyes )

[Edit: Saber glow added courtesy of Qui-Gina Jinn. Thanks! Smile]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: