About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=47d2f7929e280a3ee9815df4c2ea4f03Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Starting my Clone Wars Ani
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Starting my Clone Wars Ani Reply with quote

okay i am starting this costume and since i got the armor out of the way, i figured i would move on to getting the right color fabric as well as right texture. i dont know why but for some reason in the clone wars movie and the tv series anakin's costuem to me has alwasy looked like it might be suede cause the coloring of it seems odd. but anyway after looking for hours i think i found something that will work just wan to get those oppinions that want to give them and see what you guys think.

outer tunic / surcoat will be made of this:

http://www.discountfabricsusacorp.com/aesuhbyemho3.html

the inner tunic:

http://www.discountfabricsusacorp.com/aesulbyemho1.html

These colors at least to my eyes seem correct but i could be wrong have been before. any help you guys could give or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hoyt
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that anyone wouldn't know this Anakin costume but nontheless:

Bryanakin, our Legion Costume Judge, had done a TCW Anakin and would surely be a great help to you. Smile

I wish you luck with your project! (Armoring can be hell of a work.)

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
Anakinos (Thad Laskowski)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors look good. But the only thing i will ask/comment on is. They are both suede. 2 things

1. It will get hot quick cause suede doesnt breath that well.
2. If you put two suede fabrics together they will inter lock and cause movement in the costume to be very restrictive and frusterating.

hope this helps.

Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daritha wrote:

I wish you luck with your project! (Armoring can be hell of a work.)

the Armor i already have in the works not worried about it as Defyitall is craft this for me. ( thanks guys Wink )

Anakinos wrote:
The colors look good. But the only thing i will ask/comment on is. They are both suede. 2 things

1. It will get hot quick cause suede doesnt breath that well.
2. If you put two suede fabrics together they will inter lock and cause movement in the costume to be very restrictive and frusterating.

there actually faux micro-fiber suede the under side is in polyester i believe, from what my sister tells me she know a lil more about this stuff than i do. she actually helped me pick out the color.

However i believe you are right about the movement and restritiveness of 2 fabric so i will probably just do the outer in suede and look for something different for the inner tunic. any suggestions?

or what if on the inside of ther surcoat was lined with something smoother like satin. for example. thoughts?

Last edited by Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus) on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also today found this fabric maybe as a viable sutitute for the inner instead of the suede and keep the surcoat in the suede i actually think this color matches the inner tunic a lil closer as well. let me know what you think

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=GGG228

i am going for a more realistic look for this costume while still trying to keep the look of the cartoon if that makes since and i of course want it to get legion approval as well.
Bryanakin (Bryan Nguyen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we met Dave Filoni at Comic Con two years ago for the debut of TCW, he said that Anakin's outer surcoat was meant to mimic leather. However, most people who have done this costume have chosen a cotton blend or light suede fabric.

The pattern for the soft parts can be simple. The inner part can simply be a long t-shirt with fitted sleeves. The outer surcoat is simply a long vest. I used the "It's So Easy It's Simplicity" pattern for a basic tunic shirt.

Anakin Skywalker EP 2, CW, and EP3
www.myspace.com/bryanakin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent bryan thank you for the info it is much appreciated
defyitall (Christian Evans)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd echo Thad's thoughts about the fabric. Not that I think they'd be hot. More that I think you should vary the fabric type, weave, and look between the outer and inner tunics. Just for contract.

I like the suede color and look for the outer. I'd suggest a stretchy fabric for the inner tunic. It should be fitted and a stretch fabric would help it fit better.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i decided to go with a maroon ponte thats a blend of polyester, lycra, and rayon for the inner tunic its stretchy and comfortable from what ppl tell me . it was meantioned to me on the SOTS boards, checked it out and it is almost identical in color. and i will be going with my original fabric choice for the surcoat because i think i will have enough moveability with the pont as the inner and with that texture for the surcoat it willl look amazing.
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone happen to know a seamstress with some free time sometime before CV. trying to get thing done before i get back from my deployment to the OUTER RIM.i will be back in mid june.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't help with the sewing. I hope you can find someone. Smile

Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure did LostSkywalker is gonna help me out i do believe so all is well Very Happy
Cyrus (Hoyt Dingus)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an update of pics i have got from Lost Skywalker who is doing my tailoring just thought you guys might want to see an update. is almost complete just got to sew on some velcro and a clasp to help keep the vest stay in place and all will be good to go Very Happy

Top of the vest:

Inner tunic:

Inner tunic and surcoat completed:

Let me know what you guys think.
LostSkywalker (Christopher Blair)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, Hoyt! You're like bound an determine to embarrass me here! Laughing

I have to admit again, I'm still not happy with a couple things, but it's a live and learn experience, which taught me that this costume is probably one of the easiest of Anakin's attires to make, with the armor parts perhaps being the more difficult if you're doing it yourself...like I am...with 6mm sintra...

Anyway though, you seem to be very happy with the progress, and I hope you're happy with the final result. That ponte roma you sent is gorgeous stuff and very nice and soft. GLad I could help out, and hope it's a hit at CV! Really wish I could join you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is looking very good, I do have a couple of questions though.

Just curious, but why was it made in two parts? I know it really does not make a difference, but I've just always seen the surcoat made from one piece of fabric.

It might be from the way it's hanging, but it looks like the bottom of the surcoat angels down, and ends in two points.

Is the surcoat split up the side? I can tell you that that will get bounced back by the LCJ's. The only slit in the surcoat is on the rear. Again this my be from the way it was hanging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: