Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5ca71cccb8ac5b6c3757a64dece679b8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookie build beginning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trooper1 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am underway, and everyones ideas were great.
Below are pics, of start to underway Very Happy this is going to be a LOOONNNNGGG time. I have been 10 hours and have half a foot.
The feet I have begin working on, I have cut the feet out of aluminum with a waterjet CNC, and the rubber bottom is cut with the same. It is 1/4" belting with tread underneath. Will be screwing everything together before moving on to adding the foam.
Total height when completed will be 7' 8" Still have the mask coming and hopefully find some toes.

trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hair is going fine. Very tedious work, but nice.
Stilts ar nearing completion. I have attached the Aluminum feet to the bottom, formed and cut the foam around the sides, and front, and added the black duck tape.
I have a poly foam 1 1/2" pad coming which will be attached to the bottom of the feet, and then a rubber belt material for traction. the only thing I need now is TOES! Toes, toes, does anyone know where to get toes? LOL

Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask why you are putting foam around the stiltsand taping the shoes? Why are the feet being made sooo big?

I use the same stilts and have a simple way of attaching a foam foot to the stilt with elastic while still using the stilts original tread.

Chewy Layers snow to print
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well? to keep from having my shoe show through the garment I used the foam to hide the noise, and to give the whole stilt a leg look. As for the foot? I measured Phil Phister a few years ago, (with my job) the Worlds Strongest man, past. He used to be a firefighter. He stood around 7' tall and had a size 19 shoe.
His foot measure somewhere over 21" long, so to get the overall balance of someone 7' 8" or 7' 9" and to give the correct appearance I went with the foot length. Take it my shoe is only a size 9
The foot length is only 19" then 1" for the toes I am going to add.
(The wider foot and stance has also given me better balance when walking around I have noticed) As for taping the shoes, it was just to cover the white from showing, and keep the straps from moving.
To get the rest of the correct proportion to the leg, I am making a somewhat body mass suit with the legs. I am also adding padding to the shoulders and chest area, just a bit, to widen my shoulder stance as well.
I know Peter Mayhew was fairly thin, but broad shouldered, and proportionately he was a large fellow, compared to myself.
Namgorf ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont insulate to much.... you dont want to be a over exhausted wookie lying on the floor. It can get pretty warm inside the costume. Evil or Very Mad
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I figured that. Havent gotten that far yet, but just plan on some pads to the front and back of thigh, and then shoulders and chest.
Smile
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok still putting on hair, but the feet have turned out great. Just thought I would post up pics. The only thing left is to put on the toes and the hair.
After the last pics I purchased some very expensive high density closed cell poly foam. This stuff is light, but holds 80 lb. per square in. I glued two pieces of 3/4" foam together and glued to the bottom of the aluminum foot. I then glued the rubber belt material to the bottom for a shoe type traction.
This foot works great. The aluminum gives it structure, and the stilt with the spring allows it to flex like an ankle to walk easier.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't been keep up with all these wookiee threads, so I am sorry I did not mention something earlier about your stilts. You will want to oil them!

After about 2-3 troops there is a good chance you will start to "Squeek" . If you do not oil them you will continue to squeek louder and louder. People will make comments like... I think Chewie is tired I can hear him squeek! I am a bit concerned with your closed set up you may not be able to oil all the areas you will need to to avoid this. Then again, maybe they will never cause you any issues at all. More of a heads up.
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the info. I did read this somewhere earlier where you had posted and took your advice to the shop. Wink first of all I took the springs off and made a leather washer for both sides of it to stop the noise. I then sprayed the bolt with plasticoat, and then greased it and reinstalled it.
I also made the back to where the tape could be removed to open the hinge port for lube.
I used a chain type lube, that is liquid, then turns to grease after it sets up.
Very Happy

Last edited by trooper1 () on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bow*
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still planning on picking your brain for more info as I go, so keep posting Laughing
I still have ALOT of hair to install, and getting the colors correct in the mix is the hardest because of lack of screen caps I can find. Neutral I have all the colors, but mixing them a bit to get the right blend. like 2 or 3 dark, to 7 to 10 light, and so on in areas. Trying to match up the 2 screen caps I have. One of chewie sitting down waiting for a shoot, and the other standing.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you blending your hair on a board?

Bob
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, actually I have the four colors draped over a couch back
taking so many of each when I am blending and putting together then, wrapping the hook. Static is bad as well here in the winter, so using a spray bottle of water when separating the hair to keep from sticking together.
I am using a bit of 280, 4, 44, and mostly 27, until I get to the parts that need most of the grays and darks. I also know it takes time, but after each row of hair, I am adding a drop of dritz fray check to the loop knots. Takes about 10 seconds a row, and they don't move. Not in a huge hurry so no big deal with the few seconds.
Funny part will be when I have to give it a hair cut. I have asked my hair stylist if she would cut it, or thin it, and she was thrilled. She was a big Star Wars fan and would love it. Wink Been over 16 hours and only have 1 leg below the knee done. Shocked
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I also had a stylist/friend help me with mind..... best thing I could have done, she really helped me with the first grooming allot.

These costumes are not ment to be rushed and I think sometimes we tend to rush them, because we get excited to wear them. All I can say is plan it out ahead of time, and do it right the first time.

Friend of mine use to say " If you don't have time to do it right the first time, you more than likely wont have time to go back and fix it either."

Bob
trooper1 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on doing just as you say. Will take a long time but I will get there.
Do you have any pics or yours, or where can I find them?
Would like to see it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: