About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d63bfafc6cc8f4009e49494fa63ba95dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Application re Lightsabers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darthig88 (Ed Bartlebaugh)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with the no red sabers for jedi, but their have been jedi that have had red sabers here is the source..http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_vs._Sith:_The_Essential_Guide_to_the_Force

It's a real good book by the way..
Auron Salis (Levi)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a lore point of view, a crystal that generates a red blade would probably be covered in the darkside of the force.... so a Jedi wouldn't be tempted by such..
Ashton ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question here... my Jedi possesses and carries a red saber but does not use it (uses white) because the saber once belonged to his now-deceased brother. Would this be a problem or is it only the Jedi's personal saber that cant be red?
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intent is to not use red bladed sabers at events so as to not give the impression of being a sith/evil to the attendees. If your just carrying another saber around on your belt it doesn't really matter.
Ashton ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, That's what I thought, but after looking at how detailed some of the costume requirements were, I wanted to make 100% sure. Smile
Ashton ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:

As far as changing out the color, whey not then just get one that is purple to begin with. The blade is not typically the item that dictates color. Unless the design is such that the LED's are in the blade rather than in the hilt, and I don't know of a design the currently swaps out that way.

This is how the Hasbro Force FX sabers work, the hilt just has 9 contacts and all LEDs are in the blade (and sources say, yes, the blades ARE interchangeable --- but right now to do that you have to buy 2 sabers (or get lucky on eBay where someone broke their hilt) since HB doesn't sell stand-alone blades (dont know if any sabersmiths make them yet or not, so...))
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashton wrote:
Masterbean wrote:

As far as changing out the color, whey not then just get one that is purple to begin with. The blade is not typically the item that dictates color. Unless the design is such that the LED's are in the blade rather than in the hilt, and I don't know of a design the currently swaps out that way.

This is how the Hasbro Force FX sabers work, the hilt just has 9 contacts and all LEDs are in the blade (and sources say, yes, the blades ARE interchangeable --- but right now to do that you have to buy 2 sabers (or get lucky on eBay where someone broke their hilt) since HB doesn't sell stand-alone blades (dont know if any sabersmiths make them yet or not, so...))

That's actually not true at least for all of them. I heard from someone after they bought the first anakin and vader sabers with removeable blades they would not work being switched up. May be the case on newer models, but I don't have any to verify that.
Ashton ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gius Maximus wrote:

That's actually not true at least for all of them. I heard from someone after they bought the first anakin and vader sabers with removeable blades they would not work being switched up. May be the case on newer models, but I don't have any to verify that.

Interesting... well I have the Anakin EIII saber and will hopefully be getting the ObiWan EIV saber sometime next month, so I'll be sure to see if those two can be swapped, maybe we can at least get a list of which ones ARE compatable with each other Very Happy
Tag Aldeggon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that none of them were compatable. Which is a shame, since I would love to switch out the green blade my Kit Fisto lightsaber came with, for a blue one.

... and even if you succeed, it's a hard life."
thatsMISTERwookiee (Jack Smith)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true story that should settle the "Jedi with red saber" issue once and for all...

I was in the Tucson Festival of Lights Parade on Dec. 17. Just to add more color and light to the parade I decided to carry two sabers with my Jedi costume. One was blue, the other one red. While walking with my group I noticed I hadn't changed the batteries in the blue saber and it was going dim.

So I turned off the blue blade and went with only the red. Within a minute of doing this, I had a "freak accident" and sprained my achilles tendon on my right foot. I have been on crutches for the past two weeks and am looking at another week off of my feet before the doctor clears me for work.

"Freak accident"?!?

Jedi should NEVER carry red (sith) blades. Learn from my mistake.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tag Aldeggon wrote:
I was under the impression that none of them were compatable. Which is a shame, since I would love to switch out the green blade my Kit Fisto lightsaber came with, for a blue one.

There is (or at least was) a conversion kit to change the non-detachable blades to detachable blades. The difference is...the non-detachable blades have LEDs running all up the blade, which gives the appearance that the light blade is extending from the hilt like it does in the movies. The removable blade version has one LED in the hilt, so the blade is either all on or all off.

One of our GA members did the conversion recently and I'll be talking with him to learn how...as I've got a number of lightsaber projects coming up soon.

But...last I heard, the kind folks over at customsabershop.com had some info on this...though it'll probably take some digging through the forums.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder: The 'Ultimate Fx Lightsabers' (currently made in the models of Darth, Luke & Anakin) are not acceptable for Jedi Costumes. These are short, fixed blade sabers made of plastic, great for kids with lights and cool clashing effects.

Instead, go with a 'Force Fx lightsaber' with a metallic handle, or source one in any of the tutorials/threads here.
blkwolf ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the books didn't Luke have a short red saber? I might be wrong but I think he did this was around the time he was married I think.

(TB/SL-7744) Be Truthful in all you do and seek out the light Always!
Seriniel (Samuel Assayag)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i remember correctly (i havent read these books since at least 8 years), due to the cristal (often an Adega Red), the red blade is at the same time more powerful than an "ordinary" blade, but also harder to control. i seem to recall that Sith had to channel their anger in their sabre (perhaps somewhere in the sith war comics, idk). therefore, a red bladed saber would most likely not be at its most effective when wielded by a Jedi, with the notable exception of Juyo masters ( and/or Vapaad, of which, very few existed).

as for the length, a jedi (or sith for that matter) can always change the length AND might of the blade, if needed (like when exar kun bolst his own blade to enter the Freedon Nadd Mausoleum on Onderon's moon, Dxun).
blkwolf ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I need to get Emerita to carry a pink one, pink 5's Jedi mom who knew Wink

(TB/SL-7744) Be Truthful in all you do and seek out the light Always!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: