About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b749447f3c798db056fbe3354356f569Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Application re Lightsabers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't see neither yellow, nor orange in the films - or silvery/white for that matter, but these are approved colours.

Adi Gallia carries a red lightsaber in both "Star Wars Jedi Power Battles" for Playstation, as well as in the comicbook "The Stark Hyperspace War". And I do believe you can even find her with a red lightsaber as an action figure. I'm thinking this means a jedi could use a red lightsaber - especially in the new jedi order, where rules are much more "large"?

Mynocks deliver Babies
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red=Sith

That is pretty much the reason.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree red=Sith. How often do you see a Jedi carry a red lightsaber? You don't, unless they work for the Sith. Sorry to disappoint you.
Tash_Verano (Mark Seymour)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you are going to do a face character costume of Adi-Gallia, then Reds are [and should be] out.

it confuses the public when a jedi wields a red lightsaber.

I would argue unless there are references of multiple jedi [not just one] weilding Red lightsabers, its natural for red to be out as a blade color.

my arguement on saber color:
SW:TOR "Decieved" Trailer

You know instantly who the good & bad guys are simply by the color of the blades... which is the point and if I am not mistaken, the reason behind different colored lightsaber blades in the first place.
rebelgirl (anne simmons)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking...I too built my saber from bigyellowbox and does not currently have a blade. I will actually have to recreate one so a blade will be able to work. That is ok right...cause I already got in the RL. I do plan to build one and it will be purple...to match my tabards.
Tash_Verano (Mark Seymour)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's always up to the LCJs to have final say on costume approvals, but should not be a problem I would think. Very Happy
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you are a generic Jedi, and as long as you never use a plastic toy saber, I don't see that it matters if you want to use a different lightsaber when you wear your costume.

I've bought and built new ones over the years, and have probably carried 6 or 7 different sabers, when in costume, over the last 8 years.

If you build or buy a saber that is a better quality than what you were approved with (and you stay away from red blades), I don't see an issue.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Which is better? Removable blades or attached blades? Reply with quote

My mom wants to buy me a "real" lightsaber for my birthday. I've found some that have removable blades and some that are attached. Which is better?

I also would like to at some time, to switch out the blue color and make it a purple saber...I've found places on the net that do that.

If this changes your answer.
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to stir the pot some, you are approved as a generic jedi with a blue saber...but as some here have said, they have proof that in some EU sources some jedi have carried a red saber...

can/should you use a red saber at an event just to be different and to have people ask you about your red saber???

Discuss..

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as whether or not the blad detaches, it depends if you want it to ever be a belt hanger or display just the hilt. If so, then yes, you should look into getting one that has a detachable blade. But, we cannot tell you the quality of the saber/hilt you're looking at simply by the merit it detaches.
As far as changing out the color, whey not then just get one that is purple to begin with. The blade is not typically the item that dictates color. Unless the design is such that the LED's are in the blade rather than in the hilt, and I don't know of a design the currently swaps out that way. Generally speaking with hilts that have detachable blades, they are colored by a single LED, which is either a white LED with a color disk or a colored LED.
Now, if you wanted to ask between company A and company B which do people prefer, there can be a better answer.
Birdman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you would have to decide whether you want the blade in your hand activated all the time, or if you wann put it away sometimes.

Also, I think that you need to side with the public here. If you wanna be different just to get sdiscussion going, you would then have to explain why the good guys look like Sith. MOst people do not have a deep understanding that in few instances the Jedi used red blades, all the recognize are the Sith lords with the red blades. Its like their calling card. The character jumps out, doesnt matter what species, you wait to see what color their blade is to tell what side you wanna root for... Just my two cents.
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're monkeying around with traditional ways to instantly recognize the good guys from the bad guys: Black cowboy hats were known to be for the bad guys and the good guys wore white hats. Bad guys wore masks, etc..

"…should you use a red saber at an event just to be different and to have people ask you about your red saber?" I think not. Why would you want to take attention away from everyone else to stop and "educate" your audience (...on some obscure video game reference)? You're going to lose them, and you've just broken character and destroyed the illusion. You're there to be part of something larger than yourself and personally, I wouldn't go out of my way to confuse my audience.

If someone wants a red lightsaber so badly… make a Sith costume. Requirements for a Jedi costume say no red lightsabers (first post).
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrooperPX wrote:
You're monkeying around with traditional ways to instantly recognize the good guys from the bad guys: Black cowboy hats were known to be for the bad guys and the good guys wore white hats. Bad guys wore masks, etc..

But most of the bad guys (Stormtroopers) are white... and Luminara's dress is almost black.... Razz

Yeah, why water down the visual motif? Actually, the Sith have it rough: ONE damn saber color! We have it good, Jedi Smile Too bad things weren't a bit different... I'd almost put orange & purple (had it not been for Mace) as alternate Sith colors. But it follows with the Sith philosophy to be rigid and have only one, plus it being the color of blood. It's all about theme....

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
bodatheyoda ()

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double bladed sabers are a go though correct?
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodatheyoda wrote:
double bladed sabers are a go though correct?

Long as it isn't red. There are jedi that used double bladed sabers as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: