About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1f68723c8b53c91962d646ae01c5f8cbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

luke using ROTS anakin saber?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sithlordharley ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: luke using ROTS anakin saber? Reply with quote

ok im in the process of building anh luke costume and the rots anakin saber is very close in compairison to the anh luke since its suppost to be the same saber... can anh luke costume get approved with this saber? i only ask this cuz the rots anakin saber is easier to find and cheaper
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would think that they should be the same saber...but there are quite a few visual differences. If you put them together it is very noticable. You would need the right saber for the right costume Wink

AMP (Tony Perez)
Kessel Base CO
Kessel Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a visual person. I hope this helps.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
sithlordharley ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe that rotj luke not ANH luke

AMP (Tony Perez)
Kessel Base CO
Kessel Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Your right. My bad. I'm not sure why I had Luke's ROTJ saber in my head.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off-topic, but did you know the chest Obi-Wan gets Anakin's saber from in ANH is the same chest Lex Luthor hid the Kryptonite in in Superman: The Movie? Check it out. Its true.

Very Happy

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess that old hermit must have tinkered with it as the only difference I see is the switch and the textured part of the metal on the ROTS one and the rubber stripping on the ROTS one ends before the bottom. You would think they would be the same Confused
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot more differences than that. Different screws, button colors, "recharge pins". The ANH version has a lever on the clamp, the RoTS a slide switch sort of thing. The emitter (bulb clamp) is different, and the "bunny ears" are very different.

There are probably even more subtle differences than that.

The bubble strip and smooth clamp, lever, and bunny ears are the differences that most people see right away.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
There's a lot more differences than that. Different screws, button colors, "recharge pins". The ANH version has a lever on the clamp, the RoTS a slide switch sort of thing. The emitter (bulb clamp) is different, and the "bunny ears" are very different.

There are probably even more subtle differences than that.

The bubble strip and smooth clamp, lever, and bunny ears are the differences that most people see right away.

It sure makes you think why Obi Wan refurbished Anakin's saber huh?
Razz
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did it to his as well, he removes the covertec changes the circuit board as well the lever and the color near the emitter

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides the differences already mentioned...

- luke ANH is brushed aluminum ; anakin ROTS is polished chrome.

- luke ANH has seven black rubber grips; anakin ROTS has six.

- luke ANH has a clear bubble-strip on the control box; anakin ROTS has a gold circuit board.. thing.

- luke ANH has a D-ring for hooking onto the belt; anakin ROTS has a covertec wheel instead

- luke ANH has a "glass eye" , where anakin ROTS has a copper button.

.. otherwise, they're pretty much the same Wink
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi Wan must've had very little to do on Tatooine *lol* he made a lot of changes to the saber, it is quite different...hence why the right saber for the right costume Wink

Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess the saber probally took some damage durnign their battle on Mustafar. Probally updated some aspects... No sence in usering the next generation of Jedi with a faulty lightsaber....

Even though there are minor differences , they are msotly superficial .. they are both simular in look . .I would think it should be approvable
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Anakin ROTS saber prop is mostly like a hybrid of Luke's various saber props from ANH and ESB and then simplified a bit.
I believe that the ROTS saber was simplified mostly for making it easier to cast duplicates and to make them more ergonomic for the actors. They were supposed to look the same on the screen, not to have their details being scrutinized by fans. Wink
The ROTS Anakin saber props are a little bit smaller than the props from the original trilogy. This does not apply so much to the Force FX-sabers, though.

Cobalt60 wrote:
- luke ANH is brushed aluminum ; anakin ROTS is polished chrome.

In ANH and ESB, the body was actually nickel-plated brass that had been brushed. The clamp in the middle was steel.

Cobalt60 wrote:
- luke ANH has seven black rubber grips; anakin ROTS has six.

The T-tracks in the original trilogy were made of plastic. There were seven in ANH and six in ESB.
I don't call them "grips" myself, because they remind me more like cooling fins than anything else. Btw, there are a few people who have made themselves T-tracks out of metal because that feels more realistic to them.

Cobalt60 wrote:
- luke ANH has a clear bubble-strip on the control box; anakin ROTS has a gold circuit board.. thing.

Most ESB props also had a part of a circuit board. An edge connector with gold-plated stripes.
There is a Vader saber that actually has a small piece of circuit board underneath its bubble strip. If I would build a hybrid of the ROTS, ANH and ESB sabers, I would put bubbles on top of a circuit board.

Cobalt60 wrote:
- luke ANH has a "glass eye" , where anakin ROTS has a copper button.

If I were to make a hybrid of the various styles, then I would paint the inside of the glass with copper paint. Then it would look almost the same.
Alias ()

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the way the ep3 saber should of looked like.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=20521.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: