Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c8a1634e80ef8172e2df2806378ca360Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Lake Dress--Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madison ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Padme Lake Dress--Help? Reply with quote

So I am nearly done with Padme's pastel lake dress from Ep. II, but I am having some serious trouble finding a suitable material to make the necklace and armbands out of. Originally, I was going to use mother-of-pearl laminate from Inbeads on eBay, but, of course, by the time I actually got to the jewelry-making part of my costume, the laminate was no longer offered. I have checked a few craft stores and none really have anything that looks very good or would be durable enough to survive for long.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Benae Quee (Kristin Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about craft foam painted to look like Mother of Pearl (using Iridescent paint). I've seen people do that before and it looks fine. Either that, or maybe try sintra (a type of low heat flexible plastic) and paint it the same way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, those sound like good ideas.

Do you know where I could maybe pick up some sintra? I already have some opalescent/iridescent paint that I got as a "just-in-case" sort of thing, but I think that's what I may end up using.
hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a local sign shop, i got a big piece for $15, its easy to bend with a heat gun. i made a set of jedi chest armour
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of hobby shops or model rail road shops have small sheets of styrene. I always keep various thicknesses for scratch building small parts. You can get sheets that are thicker than signage.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sintra is definately the way to go as it is very easy to bend(you could even use a hair dryer). If you send me a PM, I know someone who made me a one of cast resin and perhaps you could ask them and then paint it with your paints...or you could always use mother of pearl poster board sheets that they sell at craft stores(like Michael's) and then seal it with clear acrylic to keep it protect. Good luck. Amadalia
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Padawan's guide. http://www.padawansguide.com/pastel.shtml The section for the "Making Of" tips have several different options. Ferd has a tutorial on Sintra that is posted there: http://www.padawansguide.com/pastel_ferd.shtml Or there is Nina's http://www.padawansguide.com/pastel_nina.shtml Or someone makes them, you'll probably have to contact Maggie (the owner/webmaster of Padawan's guide) for his contact info.

Madison ()

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks so much to all of you, you have no idea how much all these suggestions have really increased my optimism for this costume Very Happy

My sister is quite the artist, so hopefully, with her help, we can create a nice template for the necklace and armbands.

Thanks again, this has been SUPER helpful!

Madison
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually used Fimo Clay - they have some irridescent colors (get the pearl white) and did each part of the necklace separately then connected them with thread and wire - it has held up extremely well (better than the metal chains it is held on with) I keep it in bubble wrap when it isn't on me. It only took a couple of hours to shape but I would reccommend rounding out the top piece at the very least on yourself. (and I only took that long because I scrapped it and restarted several times.) My arm bands however are brass with the white painted on and I don't reccommend that at all - they look nice but cut up my arms pretty badly if I am not extremely careful with the angle as I put them on. (I have them backed in foam so they don't bother me once on its just getting there and then off again!) I will probably eventually redo them in the clay as well - I had a lot of trouble with the sintra for the arm bands at least - getting it to stay closed without obvious ties.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: