Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=565848b96de7b1f86a3969dd0e3c2b31Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Help with AOTC Padme Flight suit belt buckel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pdme Amdala (Nicole)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Help with AOTC Padme Flight suit belt buckel Reply with quote

Okay so I am trying to to Padme's flight suit from Episode II in the beginning. So far I have been able to draw it out, cut it out of craft foam, but now need to do it out of Metal..... Any tips on how to do this would really be much appreciated. Thank you!

Nicole
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience working with casting metal. My suggestion would be to go to any expert. Shadow Dale Creations makes a wonderful ROTS Mustafar buckle

Their site is www.shadowdalecreations.com And it is generally accepted that the design is similar with the AOTC buckle being larger. Good luck...that is one I am working on too Amadalia

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good start:

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Tips/CastingBelt.htm

Once you make the mold its easy. I wonder if you carve it out of sculptey or similar material and make a plaster mold, if pouring pewter into it would work. I don't see why not, but I have no idea if plaster can take heat. Pewter melts at torch levels...

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid that plaster could crack at the required temperatures. At the very least, it must be thoroughly dried out before it is subjected to heat.
I would suggest a heat-resistant silicone if you are going to cast it in metal.

I think that you could carve the bulk in a 1/8" sheet of styrene but sculpt the finer detail parts separately and glue them on. Perhaps the four flower/cloverleaves could be sculpt once and then cast. I have cast sculpey in plaster, but the sculpey pieces were painted afterwards. Maybe a plaster cast could be used as a stamp.
Pdme Amdala (Nicole)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Belt buckel yay Reply with quote

Becca that is the exact belt buckel I am looking for but it needs to be like a goldish bronze color.... that is totally awesome.. Thank you for the info I contacted the guy and will see what he says... And I still think I am going to try sculpty clay in the mean time and see if I can make a mold... crossing my fingers that it works... I don't know exactly where to get pewter.. Do any of you??
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be careful with Sculpey as it breaks when you drop it. Resin clay is better, I use something called Magic Sculp http://www.magicsculp.com/
You can shape it like Sculpey but it air dries and is hard like resin(virtually unbreakable). I have used it for a bunch of stuff.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme911 wrote:
Just be careful with Sculpey as it breaks when you drop it. Resin clay is better, I use something called Magic Sculp http://www.magicsculp.com/
You can shape it like Sculpey but it air dries and is hard like resin(virtually unbreakable). I have used it for a bunch of stuff.

I can attest to Sculpey and breakage. One of my Tusken female bracelet cuffs came off and broke at a parade recently.

Retired:
LXO, BCO, DCO, LCJ

Founder - Blue Ridge Base

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
TI-9827 (Tapio Komulainen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Lars wrote:
I am afraid that plaster could crack at the required temperatures. At the very least, it must be thoroughly dried out before it is subjected to heat.

It works if you make only one or two copies. After that it starts to crack. And as you said it MUST BE ABSOLUTELY DRY!! If there is any moisture the hot pewter "explodes" all over! Yes, I have done that when I was a kid.
My friend ended to same result by using modelling clay as a mold... DS Boom
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shade Dale Creations has a less than stellar reputation among the RPF community due to lengthy delays on costumes, partial orders received, wrong items or sizes, bad communication. I think they got Banned from RPF.

If you only order something small like this, you might not have any problems.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had successful dealings with Shadow Dale as I have only worked with them on metal work. I have their Mustafar Brooch and Pin, brooch for the ROTS Veranda Nightgown and TPM Battle Belt Buckle. I am waiting on new AOTC armbands from them. I do know they can be very slow but I have not had any issues with the quality of their product but again, I would probably not deal with them on soft parts.
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make my broaches/buckles out of Sculpey/Primo, but have to be careful with them. If you'd like to see my Mustafar buckle (pretty much the same as the pilot buckle) you can see it painted and unpainted on my blog: http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/2009/05/padme-mustafar-update.html
Pdme Amdala (Nicole)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I started feeling crafty and I found a piece of soft wood that we've been using for crafts around the house and I drew the design onto it... but I didn't make the measurments correctly but it seems to work... In the mean time I will have to go to Kinkos and use the scanners over there and make the picture a tad bigger then cut it out and put it on the wood as a stencil and then work with my dremel to cut away the different pieces... I think it can work then I will get the kit for moulding and work from there.. I know a guy who works with metals and he is gonna help me out.. So crossing my fingers... Becca the guy said he charges $175 for the belt buckel itself... for that price I can make 2 of them if not more so I think I'm gonna try it this way and see how it comes out... I'm really crafty with my hands..
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the reason I made mine! My Mustafar buckle and broach cost me less than $5, with the Primo, buckles, paint, and pins for the broach. However, it did take a LOT of work!

That's awesome you know someone who can help you make a metal version! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: