Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f447f1cdc807bfe060cc53a0fe2cd2e1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tusken forearm wrapping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Tusken forearm wrapping Reply with quote

I've recently been working on re-doing my arm wraps as my originals were too stiff due to way to much glue being used.

I've noticed that its very common for most costumers' arm wraps to go only up to the elbow. It seems to me that there are lots of opportunities to see right up your sleeve, especially if you do the 'gaffi over the head' move.

For me re-done arms, I went up to the bicep and was wondering if I should even go further- say up to the shoulder?

The standards state:
"Cloth arm wraps covering the arms until concealed within robe(s)."

In judging Tuskens over the past year or so, I've not questioned this for applicants as long as unwrapped arms are not visible in the photos- as an LCJ, this is really all I can base my judgment on. But photos are one thing- seeing it in person at an event is another.

I'm not suggesting making the standards stricter in this area, but as an LCJ, I'd love to be armed with as much knowledge about this as possible.

Since I've actually worn my Tusken very little, I was wondering what everyone's experience with this has been?

Mark

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark I was looking at your Tusken and before I give an opinion let me ask you this - is your under-robe short sleeved?

What I've done with my husband's Tusken is the under-robe has 3/4 sleeves and his arm wraps then cover the sleeve so that even if he does the overhead movement with the gaffi no skin will be shown (unless of course he is being stubborn and not wearing the arm wraps and taking a really good picture that is ruined because you can see skin . . . not that I'm referring to a specific incident or anything. Razz Wink )

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
TuskenFan (Luis A. Diaz Jr.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jada wrote:
(unless of course he is being stubborn and not wearing the arm wraps and taking a really good picture that is ruined because you can see skin . . . not that I'm referring to a specific incident or anything. Razz Wink )

Mad Razz
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."-Winston Churchill
What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?!?!-Emperor Palpatine
Rando Mextra (Mark Bradley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- my under robe is short sleeved. My arm wraps are sewn onto a long-sleeved gray T shirt.

I've always bought into the idea that the Tuskens are wrapped pretty much from head to toe, and the robes and bandoliers are on top of all that- very much like the 1996 Habro figure if you remove the robe.

M

Stormtroopers: The Other White Meat

phantom8 (Brian Anderson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wear a tan turtleneck that i weathered and stained. on top of that, i have wraps connected to my gloves that go up to about mid bicep. i pin those to the turtleneck.

the inner robe comes down to about my elbow. it's really just a rectangle of fabric folded over me... pretty authentic to the anh style.

the outer robe comes down all the way to the wrists.

when i go up over head, it's VERY rare that you see any of the turtleneck, but if you do, it's just more dirty beige cloth.

it's a lot of layers, but it's not too bad... i wore it at disney and the only thing that bothered me was the head. at the time i had the godzilla head, which is 1/4" thick rubber. i replaced that with a plastic head shell and now it's much better to wear Smile
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think it depends on the Tusken costume. When I used to wear my Tusken, my arm wraps only went up to my elbows, but my inner tunic was long sleeved and the sleeves were tight enough that they could only go up to mid forearm before they were cutting into skin, so even with an overhead shot I had good 3 inches or so of wrapping past where the inner tunic could physically go.

If you want a guideline, when I was in SCA (a medieval reenactment group) I fenced. The rule for fencing armor was that you had to have a minimum of 2 inch overlap at all times.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you last two guys have your Tuskens submitted here yet? raise eyebrows
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen wrote:
Why don't you last two guys have your Tuskens submitted here yet? raise eyebrows

Because I stopped wearing it about 4 years ago after an incident involving wearing the mask too soon after Febreezing caused me to have massive clausterphobia attacks everytime I put it on.

Smile
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we made Jedi Jouster's we attached his wrappings to guy knee socks and then stained and weathered the whole thing. They stretch all the way up his arms.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing you can do is velcro or permanently attach the sleeves to the outer robe. That way when you threaten a farmboy the sleeves won't fall down.

That works if you have the outer robe. If you don't then yes I can see having the wraps go up higher.

I just worry about folks overheating.

And TuskenFan . . . need I remind you of how you ruined this otherwise awesome picture? Mad

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
nlindenj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine go to my elbows but are covered by my outer robe, i have used a crape bandage, its soft and stretchy. just tea died them

iam thinking about doing an underobe with longer sleeves (so i have just a single layer mainly for indoor events) next year so this has been helpful
The "Tusken Emperor ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take on this topic from experience when I constructed my Tusken Raider costume, completed in early December 2005. I made my arm bandages using the same linen material as my head wrap. Frayed the edges and used Contact Adhesive to glue the linen bandages onto the sleeves of an old shirt, which I used for this project. The bandages covered the lenght of my forearms as shown in my pictures :

My reference was Hasbro's 2004 Star Wars Unleashed Tusken Raider Tuskin figure from these pictures :

these worked for me back at that time, till now. Mr. Green

Also known as DZ (and TK/TS/TD) 2870
Outpost Founding Member and CO Emeritus of the :
501st MALAYSIA-BRUNEI OUTPOST
Drago Lordist (Steve Schaeperkoetter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine go all the way up to the shoulder where they clip to a ring inside the top of the shoulder. need a little help clipping them on but I never have an issue with them.

Steve Schaeperkoetter
RL/JA: Drago Lordist - KJO, WHP, RLSC
501st: DZ/IC/SL 7221 - GWL
Road Squadron
G-edi (greg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my two credits worth...
My arm wraps incorporate my gloves & go up to my biceps. My inner robe comes to the elbow, so if I was only wearing that, there MAY be a little bit of arm showing if I put my arms over my head. However, as an EpIV tusken, I'm always in my outer robe too, & it is sewn in a way that it cannot go past my elbows. I'm happy to say that I show no flesh no matter how high I lift my gaffi!

On the other end however... At our RAAF troop the weekend just gone, the wind picked up a little & flipped my inner robe open. My leg wraps only go to my knees, & for comfort & a little bit of cooling down, I only wear my "shorts". It was a little embarrassing, but I'm pretty sure that none of the public actually saw my legs - lucky for them!

So, I think I'll be doing some longer leg wraps, or sewing a little velcro tab on my inner robe!

G-edi out

G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started my arm wraps and used small strands of hot glue on the overlapped part so the glue would not show in case it bled through. Sometimes it did.
I made it with my arms bent so I can go overhead with my rifle after a killshot. BUT now I see that the fabric needs a stitch put in to really keep it all inplace. I have attached it to a tan long shirtsleeve that goes almost to my shoulder. I will consider the ring and hook idea for the inner robe. Should be easy enough to conceal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: