Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c95c2511a35e3642d042f855943e0755Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Librarian - Hufflepuff themed WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitcatlvr (Amanda)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Jedi Librarian - Hufflepuff themed WIP Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Very new here Smile

Right now I'm working on some tools that hang from the belt. I'm using some ideas from the Fresh Fripperies blog post https://freshfrippery.com/2020/08/21/jedi-librarian-archivist-costume-for-rebel-legion-in-ravenclaw-colors (and yes, she is who inspired me to do it Hufflepuff inspired Wink ).

She used a honey dipper and pen pieces for the tool in front.

I'm lucky, I have access to a 3D printer. When looking at the reference pictures provided on the blog post it looked like the tool in front had 2 bulbs down near the bottom.

I took a 3D printer file of a honey dipper and altered it. Pieces will need to be glued together, sanded, and spray painted (unless printed with silver PLA) but I'm pretty satisfied with what I did.

I'll probably straight up copy the part where the blog post talks about using a dental syringe because that is literally the easiest way. Why remake it in a CAD program when it'd just be so easy to make it with already available, and reasonably priced, items?

As far as my robes go, I'm thinking light brown/natural linen colors with dark grey tabbards painted with geometric designs inspired by HP imagery in a yellow ocher color. Think downward pointing triangle for the badger, upward for the cloak, straight lines of various orientations for the wand, and circles for the stone. I'm not yet set on a pattern, but that's the general idea.
kitcatlvr (Amanda)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the under tunic I'm planning on using this pattern (sans piping) to make a short sleeve, tunic length under tunic in a dark grey color:

I you're interested in this pattern or ones like it check out Studio82cheongsam on etsy. The cheongsam has a beautiful cultural background.

I have nothing better to do, so I've been drawing out various possible outfit combos.
kitcatlvr (Amanda)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Feed back please Reply with quote

So, due to not being able to sleep I've drawn up some preliminary outfit ideas!

I've drawn up many possibilities, but I've come to 2 some what "final" ideas.

With skirt:

With pants:

With these fabrics:

Eventually using this paint for the geometric patterns: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088SQK9LV/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWRV0GG7LZ2DD

Feed back welcome and encouraged, thank you!
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely skirt! Very Happy

And I look forward to how the Hufflepuff colors will turn out. I, too, really like the Ravenclaw inspired one.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

kitcatlvr (Amanda)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Definitely skirt! Very Happy

And I look forward to how the Hufflepuff colors will turn out. I, too, really like the Ravenclaw inspired one.

I found some white linen pants on Amazon that should totally work if I register it as an "variation" with this outfit so that's less work for me, yay! And I will still make the skirt for sure. I was a little intimidated by both skirt AND pants so I was like "just one" but now that I've found an option I'm pretty happy.

As far as the HP color scheme I did some photo shopping and designed a possible geometric pattern scheme. Keep in mind that it'll be a yellow ochre/mustard color and not this bright lol. This is just for illustration!

I got a little bored (and frustrated, Gimp wasn't cooperating) and didn't want to do it for the obi and shoulders so here's what'll go on those (and will be sideways on the obi)

Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. Smile I like it.

kitcatlvr (Amanda)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Not bad. Smile I like it.

Thank you Smile

I've seen others do individual posts to make sure a judge comments on one aspect they're unsure about. Should I do that for this pattern before I do anything like try to paint it on my tabards? The color scheme, the style, the tools I'm pretty sure about working, especially with some feedback on this thread. I'm just really nervous about the pattern lol.

You liking it is a big reassurance though! I've seen you commenting on lots of posts and it looks like you've been around for a while so that's good Smile
kitcatlvr (Amanda)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first (mostly) successful 3D print of the bulb-y part of the librarian tools! I glued it together a little wonky and had to sand it ALOT to make the edges somewhat match up. Then I had to build up some areas with glue. I'm planning on making one more printing attempt.

It was printed in color changing PLA and changes color at 88 degrees F. It'll get spray painted soon!

kitcatlvr (Amanda)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a successful 3D print!

I'm super excited! Just the dowel to paint and a cap to put on the top so it can dangle from the belt.

I'm ALSO super excited today because my Light Saber got here! I ordered it like last week and from reviews I expected it to take awhile. I guess because I ordered something simple it was able to be shipped super fast Smile I got an Initiate V.3, from Ultrasabers, with a few small tweaks (like the button I liked and also the coverteck wheel installed). So stoked to have it!

I also got some nice equestrian boots, but haven't taken pictures. zipper on the inside and not super obvious, some buckles, but not a ton, and no logos. Also real leather. So i'm pretty darn happy, and I got them for a steal IMO.

Still waiting on purchasing the fabric. I'm hoping that fabric-store has a sale soon so I can get the price I want on the linen I want haha.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitcatlvr wrote:

I've seen you commenting on lots of posts and it looks like you've been around for a while so that's good Smile

Yes, yes ... that I have been. Wink I'm mainly in jedi and royalty/senatorial detachments.

Uhh! I like that lightsaber! Nice! Very Happy (Even if we never see the librarians having one hanging from the (hidden) belt).

kitcatlvr (Amanda)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Uhh! I like that lightsaber! Nice! Very Happy (Even if we never see the librarians having one hanging from the (hidden) belt).

I promise I checked the standards and they're in the optional part Wink I'll just have to figure something out so it can hang down far enough lol.

And at some point I'll do something else where a lightsaber is required, so I thought I'd just make sure I already had one! Smile
kitcatlvr (Amanda)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got some linen fabric on sale and I'm so excited! I realized after I ordered that I may not be able to fully line the OT, but that's okay. I have other, cotton, fabric that I can use to line the OT in non-visible places in order to save. And I'm not even sure the OT fabric NEEDS a lining. If it still looks decent, I'd rather not have a lining due to how hot it can get here. It's 5.6 oz linen and based on photos from reviews it looks thick enough that it should be fine.

Aaaaah I'm just a combination of excited and also OMG WHAT IF I ORDERED ONE YARD TOO SHORT right now lol.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to have your fabric. Smile And yeah, lining looks nice, but is not required so decide for yourself.

Milori T'Bell ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe replace the covertec knob with a ring and a hook hanging just under your sash
kitcatlvr (Amanda)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: With headcoverings Reply with quote

So, I wear head coverings every day and after some discussion with my base they recommended I post it on my post here, but also they were lovely and encouraging.

Examples of people in universe who cover: some Mirialans (Barriss Offee and Luminara Unduli) and various Miraluka. I'd want to do a Mirialan character.

So! If I were to add a hood on my OT (as suggested) this is the style I'd want to wear under it. It's easy to reproduce and looks very put together. It also wouldn't be obviously visible under a hood. I'd wear a dark grey or black one.

Disclaimer: Images are not mine. They come from the lovely ladies at Wrapunzel.com. They have a blog and are a wonderful resource if you or someone you know is into hair covering! I don't have any photos of myself that are a good representation of this style.

Any thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: