Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=05bf4ed96d2388a6f7ca2c00eea73627Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Q'Anilia from the KOTOR comics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Q'Anilia from the KOTOR comics Reply with quote

I'm in India for the next two years teaching English with a feminist NGO. This means I can't be active with the Rebel Legion, but I can still be actively sewing, even if I don't have a sewing machine. Given the types of fabrics you can get here, I thought it would be fun to do Q'Anilia from the KOTOR comics.

She is a Miraluka Jedi with the secret Jedi Covenant. Her hesitant personality really appealed to me.

Before I get really nice fabric, I'm working on a mockup in whatever cheap fabric I can find. Please excuse the ugly floral print.

Please pardon the terrible self-photography. That's just the undershirt so far. Except that I accidentaly stitched one half of the front together in-side-out, any suggestions?

I also have this fabulous black wig I got for free at the costume shop I used to work for. She rarely has her hood down, but it would be fun to have the right color hair anyway.

I'm definitely going to need some kind of petticoat for this eventually as well.

My brother is a mechanical engineering student in a manufacturing course right now, so I'm chatting with him about machining me a custom saber inspired by hers. I'm really psyched about that.

One of the most infuriating things about the costume is that the design is not consistant at all in the comics, particularily with regard to her Mandarin collar. I'm still playing with a combination of various different designs.

In planning and progress:
Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

ALMO | Guam Regional Captain | RLGS Web Team | She/Her

Last edited by SongofAmazon (Jenna) on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Renegade (Peter White)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another KotOR costume! This is great, I can't wait to see it done!
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know I always eagerly await your costume updates. Very Happy Can't wait to see the finished product, and we'll definitely have to have some photographic shenanigans upon your return.

Sew Corellian
KJO DCO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, you need a new Sig Bar. Wink

I always enjoy seeing someone do a new costume that hasn't been done before.
Smile
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks sweet. I really like the KOTOR costumes (one of my favorite RPGs). Looking forward to seeing updates on it. Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love KOTOR as well as doing costumes no one has done before. It's a habbit of mine. It means that I have no refrences to help me but not standards to meet but my own.

So, I mocked up her hood and over-sleeve ensemble. I'm pretty happy with it. I broght all the patterns I would need with me to India but forgot my Simplicty cape pattern at home. My mom mailed it to me and I excitedly got to work this week only to find that the two yoke patterns for a sleeved cape were not in the packet. It was my first patterning attempt for an arm hole from scratch but I think it worked out really nicely. I think I want to add a tuck in the sholder seam ala the prequel trilogy Jedi.

Also pictured is the belt piece for the skirt (only have of it is the pattern I like) and a dummy waist sash. It's hard to get a feel for it in the picture since I'm wearing my pajams instead of a skirt.

Progress Photo

I'm sorry for how out of focus it is.[/url]

Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori, I'm working on the new sigbar. I put in the request, anyway, so unless I take matters into my own hands I just have to wait now. Smile

Jenna, I love the way it's looking! You've definitely got the right shape going on. I'm definitely enjoying watching this come together from afar.

Sew Corellian
KJO DCO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Starforge (Jacob Degan)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I too am looking forward to seeing the finished costume. KotOR represent!!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress! Now I'm pretty much done with patterning. There are a few adjustments to be made as I try the pieces out in the real fabric though.

That's the overskirt and the collar piece. There are about 8 different versions of the collar, thanks to no consistancy in the comics and other art whatsoever, so I chose one design that looks like it rests on top of the shirt rather than being a part of it. This helps solve the no-visible-closure problem.

For the skirt, I think, I'm going to do less gathering on the shorter wrapped part in the back. Here I thought I would need a huge petticoat to keep it up and fluffy, but it looks like 5 meters gathered arounnd me solves that problem.

Yumyum, huge skirt. I never want to gather that much fabric by hand ever again. I'm finding a sewing machine.

Here are the fabrics I found. They're all nice polyester blends, except for the blue, which is totally school uniform fabric, nice and thick.

It was also really fun to get this pink sheer. No one in the Dharmsala bazaar had the color I wanted, but there was a dye guy who took some white fabric and made it the perfect color of pink for me. All I had to do was take it home and hang it out to try. It was even polyester to start with and he managed to dye it.

So, given time, I'm going to start cutting into the real fabrics next week.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long while, but I'm back from India and I have my sewing machine again. With a sewing machine comes progress!

There are a number of pieces yet to do and it all needs some tweaking, hemming, and fastening. Overall though, I am pleased with the progress.

Off the page and on a person, this costume looks even more ridiculous (or dare I say fabulous?) than in the comics!

Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome back & it looks great!
Jolee Bindo (Lothar Werner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and in Germany we need KOTOR costumes, too Wink

Last edited by Jolee Bindo (Lothar Werner) on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daritha (Christian)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Miraluka looks awful good! I can't wait for the veil to cover the eyes.

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briliantly done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: