About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f07de2348d968400c8f7ce43b16be8e6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Let the Wookiee win- new Chewie WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Thanks for the info Smile Unfortunately, my ask is already attached to the skull, so I don't have a lot of room to get a pair of scissors and silicone gun in there. I could also coat the ends of the hair with silicone, via a small paint brush . . .

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can't remove your mask from your hard skull? How do you plan on washing your mask?
Your gonna find out how nasty it is gonna smell after a few troops, and you will want to wash the hair at some point... well for sure the people you troop with will want you to wash your hair.....lol

Bob
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
So you can't remove your mask from your hard skull? How do you plan on washing your mask?
Your gonna find out how nasty it is gonna smell after a few troops, and you will want to wash the hair at some point... well for sure the people you troop with will want you to wash your hair.....lol

Bob

I'm pretty certain it's permanently attached to the skull.

And isn't smelly funny required with this type of hobby? The stench of Dragon Con comes to mind Laughing

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, after a few hours, I am amazed that I still have friends...lol. My wife would say something like... old spice and wookiee... not a great smelling combo at all.

Bob
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine still smells like Suave!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cblack wrote:
Mine still smells like Suave!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Did you do anything with the hairs inside the mask, Chris?

Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not but will if it becomes a problem.
The biggest thing I did was make sure they weren't visible inside the mouth. I had some pull out when I was trimming and grooming, but nothing too horrific.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled the strands near the mouth opening back a bit so they don't show when I open the mouth. I never even silicon glued them, although I suppose I should. Over the past year, I've maybe lost 2-3% of those hairs due to use, so every once in awhile I punch in a few new hairs. But nothing really major. Bob's idea sound like a good one for areas around the mouth opening.

As for washing the mask.... uh, that's not something I've every really considered. I don't know the design of Bob's mask, so his may be different, but I treat my mask like a helmet with hair on the outside. The inside get's wiped down with a damp cloth and sprayed with Lysol every couple of troops, but the outside just gets more hairspray and/or misted with water to re-groom. I can't really say I get any sweat on the hair, it's just the inside that gets funky, like any helmet I would say.

Same thing with my suit, actually. I never wash it! Kills the character, and honestly, it doesn't smell really. Since 99% of the sweat is in the body suit, I just hang the fur suit out from a hook on my porch, regardless of season, and just let the air blow throw it for a few days, then spray it with a little Lysol or Febreeze if needed. I mean, I won't say it smells like roses, but it doesn't smell like some gym locker, either. I always have another base member give a good whiff before a troop to get their opinion if it smells at all and it has always passed the test.
Namgorf ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest if you feel any need to clean, that you talk to a wig store and do the same thing they do to clean wigs.... in a sense this is just one big Wookie wig. there are some cleaners that will sterilize and clean the suit, one drawback is you'll have to go back and restyle the look again. but as with any rock star you have your fans to keep you going...
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info regarding the extra hairs and "washing" the Wook Smile

Next question: the chin. How can I get the hair to curl under?

I've thinned down some of the hair behind the chin and the next, so the chin hairs will lay flat, but I'm having a difficult time getting it to stay.

A reference picture, pulled from Cblack's WIP.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairpins and a small amount of hair spray will help you define the face/ chin areas. If you do the Hairpins in layers and know how to hide them,.... no one will ever know they are there.

Bob
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on using a curling iron on low heat first, will try it out on a few loose bunches first, kanekalon as I'm sure you're aware is not as forgiving as human hair.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea, Bob.

Dougie- I'm going to spray the hair with hairspray, then roll it into a curling roll and clip it with a hair pin. Let it dry. It should hold just as well as a curling iron without possibly burning/damaging the hair.

Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatooineboy wrote:
Thanks for the idea, Bob.

Dougie- I'm going to spray the hair with hairspray, then roll it into a curling roll and clip it with a hair pin. Let it dry. It should hold just as well as a curling iron without possibly burning/damaging the hair.

Sounds like a plan!!
duck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put it on a stand facing the ceiling, wet down the chin a bit and soaked it with hairspray. It stays fine and I just touch it up every few troops.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: